What are the options here?

You have to consider, if there was a way to make a safe sturdy structure that size very cheap we would all be doing it. I'ts hard to get something that substantial that will support weight and be predator proof going the super cheap route. Really the posts, wood, concrete for the run would be the cheapest part. That stuff is not that expensive. Its your hardware cloth roof panels etc that are going to cost the most.

I already have the hardware cloth. I have the roofing shingles for the coop. I just got to work on the wood and roof panels I need.

Everyone keeps saying that size, but it's not that size really.

How does one do a 4 x6 run with roof? Do they use concrete or a 2x4 for a base? I very rarely see concrete used in these smaller builds.

Everyone keeps saying that size, but it's not that size really.
Maybe because your first post eluded to covering a 25x25 area?

Well kind of. It will be somewhat connected to the coop once I make that.
Oh, well.....then your plan should work OK.
But it will need to positively connected, not just 'somewhat'.
It's very hard for me, and probably others, to envision what you propose without some kind of sketch.
How will you build the coop?

@llombardo - love the use of PVC - so versatile!

I wish I could figure out how to do a roof around it. It's solid. The branch that fell on it was pretty heavy and the damage isn't bad, but will take two people to fix. I probably could make the roof from the inside but I'm not sure I want to lose that much of the run to wood support.. I may just build the coop first and see what I can do from there.

I wish I could figure out how to do a roof around it. It's solid. The branch that fell on it was pretty heavy and the damage isn't bad, but will take two people to fix. I probably could make the roof from the inside but I'm not sure I want to lose that much of the run to wood support.. I may just build the coop first and see what I can do from there.
That is a very good idea.
What coop plans do you have?

The PVC walls are great for attaching mesh, but are not likely strong enough to support a solid wood framed roof.

That is a very good idea.
What coop plans do you have?

The PVC walls are great for attaching mesh, but are not likely strong enough to support a solid wood framed roof.

I'm just building a shed like coop. It will have a floor and a couple windows. It will be on the larger side to accomdate them and any seperation I may gave(two boys) plus my rabbits. The run is about 15 ft wide, so the coop may end up being 16x16 with as little cutting as possible. I have the shingles for the roof already. The roof, windows and door, mainly the roof will be the most difficult for me.

So I would use 2x4s wherever I have a pole now, correct? Just build it the same way with wood?

Will I need any pole support in the middle of the run? This wouldn't be to bad because I can add "roost bars from post to post.

To bad I can't use the tree branches for some kind of support. I got big heavy ones. I'm pulling several to make the roosts in the run. I started cutting them and then I stopped because I could envision using them.

This is going to be a huge project

if any limbs are left long enough

Back
Top Bottom