What are the possible mixes for my young chickens?

I hatched some chicks this year. They're a little older now, and I would like to know of any possible mixes from my flock.

Here are the possible fathers for these chicks:
- Buff cochin
- Silver duckwing oegb
- golden Sebright
- GLW

Possible mothers:
- barred rocks
- sebright
- golden laced wyandottes
- sex links
- jersey giants
- grey, buff, and black cochins (bantams)
- lakenvelder
- crevecoeur
- white leghorn
- polish
- standard (not bantam) sized old english game, or some kind of jungle fowl (long legs :))
- ardenner bantam
- maran (no feathered feet)
- white silkie

Golden and black patterns/speckles: she's a bantam

View attachment 2890010View attachment 2890012View attachment 2890017View attachment 2890019View attachment 2890020

This one has feathered feet. I'm thinking she's a buff cochin (roo) x barred rock (hen)? Looks like she has a single comb.
What do y'all think?

This next one I'm almost certain is a silver duckwing oegb mix. His comb, though, is like a mixture between 2 combs. Maybe the mother is a sebright?
He's also bantam sized:

View attachment 2890022View attachment 2890023View attachment 2890024

Thinking the father's a silver duckwing old english game bantam and the mother is a sebright (because of the comb)??
For the buff pullet, I would definitely guess one of the possible mothers would be the Seabright, the black points that out, and the petite build. And the Buff Cochin is 100% the father. The feathered feet are another strong indicator.

Easily we can rule out the Polish, the crevecoeur, and any other crested breeds as the mothers. And keep in mind the feet color, rule out which ones that don’t have the yellow legs/feet.

I hatched some chicks this year. They're a little older now, and I would like to know of any possible mixes from my flock.

Here are the possible fathers for these chicks:
- Buff cochin
- Silver duckwing oegb
- golden Sebright
- GLW

Possible mothers:
- barred rocks
- sebright
- golden laced wyandottes
- sex links
- jersey giants
- grey, buff, and black cochins (bantams)
- lakenvelder
- crevecoeur
- white leghorn
- polish
- standard (not bantam) sized old english game, or some kind of jungle fowl (long legs :))
- ardenner bantam
- maran (no feathered feet)
- white silkie

Golden and black patterns/speckles: she's a bantam

View attachment 2890010View attachment 2890012View attachment 2890017View attachment 2890019View attachment 2890020

This one has feathered feet. I'm thinking she's a buff cochin (roo) x barred rock (hen)? Looks like she has a single comb.
What do y'all think?

This next one I'm almost certain is a silver duckwing oegb mix. His comb, though, is like a mixture between 2 combs. Maybe the mother is a sebright?
He's also bantam sized:

View attachment 2890022View attachment 2890023View attachment 2890024

Thinking the father's a silver duckwing old english game bantam and the mother is a sebright (because of the comb)??
Do you have updated pictures of them?

The first one has buff Cochin as one parent. Could be the OEGB cock over a buff Cochin bantam hen, or the buff Cochin cock over a more slender type hen. Maybe the large OEGB, Arndenner or maybe Sebright, although that is less likely because you'd expect the offspring to have the Sebright rose comb.

The second one is more confusing. It is silver based and has indications of lacing at the breast. So one parent at least is silver based and one is probably laced. But the comb confuses things. It's of the type that usually results when a Polish is crossed with a single comb breed, yet there is no crest. Hmmm. Are any of your Polish hens laced? What color are your standard game fowl hens?

As stands, I would guess that he is either the game bantam cock over a Sebright hen, or the Sebright cock over the Lakenvelder.
The first one has to have a father that is gold, so the OEGB can’t be the father. This is because the rooster determines whether his daughters are gold or silver, which means a pure silver rooster can’t have a gold/buff daughter.
For the buff pullet, I would definitely guess one of the possible mothers would be the Seabright, the black points that out, and the petite build. And the Buff Cochin is 100% the father. The feathered feet are another strong indicator.

Easily we can rule out the Polish, the crevecoeur, and any other crested breeds as the mothers. And keep in mind the feet color, rule out which ones that don’t have the yellow legs/feet.
I doubt the first pullet has a sebright parent, since she has yellow legs, and a sebright would pass down the dominant slate or white legs.

The cockerel could have a crested parent if they had only one copy of the crest gene, such as if they were mixed. @All4Eggz mentioned that they do have crevecoeur mixes.

As for the bird in question, I couldn't find her anywhere today 😥 Maybe a predator got to her.
The one time I need a picture of her, she's no where to be found. I hope I didn't look hard enough. I hope I found her tomorrow.

I went through some pics, and I found some pictures of her. Sorry, they're not the best..

What breed is she?

(In some of the pictures, she's the one in the corner/behind the rooster)
View attachment 2890188View attachment 2890189My son brought her into the house one time so I could snap a few pics :lol: When he did that, I wasn't so happy. But now, I'm glad he did because now we have some more pictures if she's truly gone. She's pretty special to us, since she's one of the original 5. She's also pretty old... 6+ yrs old!
I hope she's still alive ❤️ View attachment 2890191
View attachment 2890184
Here's a better pic of the rooster (who, I repeat, is NOT a possible father of the chicks. just curious what breed he was)
View attachment 2890225
They do look like standard old English gamefowl. The tight feathering and long legs match OEGs more than American games.

I know 100% she's not a mix. I thought she was ardenner the whole time?? She was part of a rare breed "package" gifted to us by a friend years ago, and ardenners are rare and she looks like one, so that's what I thought she is.
Do you have another picture of the hen you think is an ardenner?

Back
Top Bottom