What are the regulations for your city in regards to backyard chickens?

Here’s the law as-written for where I live in Baytown, TX. My property isn’t under any HOA, so I don’t have to mess around with any of that.

Attachments

• 6CED263E-4198-45A1-ACAE-03AF96ED17BA.png
    6CED263E-4198-45A1-ACAE-03AF96ED17BA.png
    537.1 KB · Views: 10
In my state it's generally the counties that handle livestock regulations rather than towns/cities, and for non-farm purposes mine says the following:

-no more than 16 chickens per acre
-4 square feet of space for each bird (I'm not sure whether this refers to the coop, the pen, or both together)
-the housing must be 20 feet away from the property line (looks like this changed recently to 25 feet, but some sources say it's 20 feet away from BUILDINGS, so I'm not sure what the case truly is). There seems to be some wiggle room in this for mobile coops.
-secure containment, ie a secure pen and/or fencing around your yard
-a license, the process of getting one includes animal control contacting each of your immediate neighbors (which is obnoxious, don't see them doing that when someone wants to put a barky dog outside all day...)
-no roosters in city limits
-follow HOA regulations regarding animals

The county immediately north of mine doesn't allow any backyard poultry, which everybody thinks is absolutely ridiculous because it's generally a more rural area.

Allowing no hens at all; seems pretty unreasonable. You can keep 2-3 hens in a rather small yard and they do not make a lot of noise.
What is considered small? I am new here. I don't have chickens but am learning. My yard is maybe 1000 square feet ?

What is considered small? I am new here. I don't have chickens but am learning. My yard is maybe 1000 square feet ?

My lot is 1/3rd acre and I have 4 hens that roam the yard. I think you could do a few in a yard that small, but they may turn your yard to bare dirt.

I'm in Phoenix AZ. Just got a notice that one of my neighbors complained about my rooster. So I am off to get a no crow collar, or rehome him and his one hen, since they are bonded pretty tight. I also have 6 pullets that I was going to expand the coop for. Waiting on the inspector to come and find what violations they can. Wish the neighbor would have just come and talked to me. Here in Phoenix, it's not uncommon to ignore the "no roosters" rule until some individual complains.

Where I live (suburban neighborhood close to a big city), it is not allowed to have poultry. The fact that I am allowed to spray pesticides and herbicides, and poison myself and my neighbors, but not to have chickens is silly. There is a local group that has been trying to change the ordinance, but this hasn't led to any results. So I keep my flock as a protest against the silliness of city administration:D My neighbors have been gracious so far. I have even received compliments about my permaculture backyard & the chickens from my next door neighbors. They said that they liked looking at our mini farm. My flock does not disturb anyone, perhaps except for the occasional screams they produce before laying eggs, which lasts only a minute or two. I am lucky that I have nice & smart neighbors and hopefully, none of them will move out in the years to come.

Up to 4 hens, no roosters. Coops are to be 40ft away from any property. :) Our coop is pretty much flush against our house though lol

I rent my garden for £10 a year from the local parish council and the rules state only 6 hens and no cockerel.... Oops.

Also the rules state over half of the garden has to be for vegetables and no trees over 6 foot tall but they aren't being followed either. In all honesty, I think they are operating a system where they won't bother us if we don't cause them any problems.

Back
Top Bottom