What are the rules about shooting predators in your neighbors yard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You may be able to convince the cops that you shot a predator out of season that was a clear and present danger to your chickens. But....they may ask you if you have a small game license.

Here in Texas is is illegal to shoot over the fence, so shooting something in a neighbor's yard in not allowed. However, if the neighbor has you functioning as a caretaker, then you can act as if you were the homeowner in some cases. YMMV.

I just set up a trap near the coop. It thins out the ones that want to go near chickens. For the others, my policy is live and let live.

One of these days I will set up an electric fence. For now, I have a fully enclosed run.

Most states dont require a hunting licsense when you are on your own property.

They can however charge you with discharging a firearm inside of a city or town limit, discharging a firearm within a restricted distance from a residence etc. (IC the fox beat me to it but you get the picture)

I grew up in WV and always knew Fish & Game law to say that you can kill any animal (coon, deer, fox, etc etc) that is harming livestock or garden.

How is "walking through a neigbor's yard" harming your livestock?

You can't just shoot everything you see​

Don't worry everybody the raccoon is dead now we can stop arguing about it. Raccoons aren't friendly, I've lost cats to them before, the whole idea of maybe the raccoons were just watching the chickens for fun is absurd. They're destructive and smart, half of all the posts on this forum are about raccoons wiping out half a flock.

Did you visit the pot smoking neighbors? I dont recall anyone stating a coon was watching for fun?

I doubt you shot it, but if it makes you feel better to say it so be it LOL!

We have talked to our neighbors, as we have adjoining backyards, and the raccoons are most frequently seen on their side of the fence. So we went and talked to them and asked them how they felt about us shooting raccoons in their yard, as long as we dispose of the carcass. They said to have at it--they also have livestock (albeit theirs are alpacas) and understand the need to do what you have to do to keep your livestock safe.

Quote:
Nah I didn't shoot it I was just ready for this topic to die. I was a bit surprised to see 5 pages worth of comments. As far as pot smoking neighbors, I wish.

I should have explained my situation better, the closest house is probably between a quarter and half mile away, this was at no time a dangerous activity, I wouldn't try and shoot a raccoon that the neighbor kids were feeding peanuts. As far as the law goes I checked it out, shooting over a fence is a no-no. They'd never know but whatever, the live animal traps are being picked up later today. I'll probably feel more guilty shooting one that's stuck inside a trap.

Quote:
1) there is no indication that the raccoons were paying any attention to your chickens

2) they were running across the yard, not sneaking

3) you do not mention the distance from where they were from your chicken coop/pen; only that they were in the middle of your neighbor's yard.

4) I don't recall anyone saying they were watching your chickens for fun; as far as I can tell, there is no indication they paid any attention to your chickens at all. Would they or could they? Of course; your coop and pen need to be well-fortified against them. I do not think anyone here belives that they are not a danger to chickens or other animals.

5) The reason this thread has so many folks concerned is because you were asking about shooting into your neighbor's yard, and did not appear to be wanting to work WITH them, but rather planning to take matters into your own hands.

6) I am happy for you that you have solved the immediate problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom