What are the signs of infection from a pinless peeper?

Holly67

Chirping
7 Years
Jan 12, 2017
I put a pinless peeper on an aggressive hen about 25 days ago and it certainly has helped for feather picking but now I see I big lump on the area of her beak that's between the nostrils and black color around the area where the prongs go in (I thought this was dirt but now I don't know). The nostrils look a little wet too (clear liquid). I don't see any blood. Does this sound like an infection? If so, I'd like to remove the peeper! Thanks for any help!

I should add, I'm wondering if that lump in the beak between the nostrils in a sign of stress and the beak is trying to fortify itself, you know, kind of like a bone spur. I remember when we put the peeper on her, that the strip of beak between nostrils looked awfully thin (she's an Andalusian, smaller breed, smaller, thin beak), I worried she might break that part or stress it if she kicked at the peeper too hard.

I don't know, taking guesses here. I don't want to take the peeper off because it's keeping the peace but her beak just looks wrong! :(

I also have no experience with the pinless peepers, but if it's causing irritation or worse I'd take it off. I'm wondering if your set up is not allowing adequate space for your birds which is making aggression issues worse. How many birds do you have in how much space? Usually the amount recommended in print is a bare minimum, and based on personalities of individual birds, actual needs can vary widely. More space is better than less. The more space they have to get away from each other the less likely for bullying. I'd look at your set up and see if you can expand space for them, and try separating the bully for a while, which sometimes will work, depends on the bird. If the bullying is happening on the roosts then making modifications there that allow some separation can help also.

Hello coach723, thanks for your reply. I've read a lot about the reasons for feather picking / bullying and the 5 girls have plenty of space (6' x 30' run and 8' x 5' pen w/ roost above) + I sometimes let them out (supervised) in our big, fenced-in backyard. They have great feed and extra protein (mealworms). I visit them a lot and to try give them things to do so the day isn't too mundane or dull. Magna, the hen wearing the peeper, is the 'alpha' of the group and is just plain ol' bitchy to some of the others. Always, endlessly maintaining her position and letting everyone know who's boss. She is otherwise a sweet and wonderful bird; so friendly with me and the most bold, curious and vibrant of the 5 girls. (Big personality! :))

The bump on the beak definitely appears to be some sort of irritation... But is it dangerous? The inclination is of course to remove the peeper but I hate to have to revert back separating Magna from the flock (was trying that), very impractical / unsustainable longterm. I'm hoping someone here may have had the same experience or can explain the occurrence of such a thing.

I'll probably wait a little longer for more replies before removing peeper and will try to take a pic today if I can get her head to hold still ing enough!

If you suspect an inflammation or infection on the beak from the peepers, absolutely remove them.

I have never experienced any irritation or infection on any hens that I've had wearing the devices, but that's not to insist it can't happen.

Take the peepers off and in good lighting, inspect the beak for cracking or brittleness. Inspect the nares for signs of inflammation or abrasion. If you find anything spray with Vetericyn, and don't put the peepers back on until you're sure she's healed.

A stop-gap measure for dealing with a bully is an old fashioned fly swatter. I keep swatters strategically located and easy to grab when I see an oppressive bully being a jerk. A swift swat on the butt does wonders. After a while I only need to brandish the swatter and the bully knocks it off.

Thanks so much for the replies! :) Sigh. Y'all are right, I should take it off and inspect. If the peeper just isn't working out for this bird, I can at least create a post here letting others know of my experience, it might be helpful. I'll update soon.

Thanks so much for the replies! :) Sigh. Y'all are right, I should take it off and inspect. If the peeper just isn't working out for this bird, I can at least create a post here letting others know of my experience, it might be helpful. I'll update soon.
This was helpful! It is many years after your pinless peeper experience, but I am goign thru the same. I have one bully, and one main target. It has gotten so bad I decided to try the peepers. The girls have tons of room (we actually just quadrupled the run due to the bullying concern) and still this one hen picks on one of the smaller ones. I am so stressed out about it and have tried all sorts of activities and games to keep them occupied, separating the 2 for a few days and on and on. Nothing is working. I tried this route and am hoping it will help! The bully got the peepers off after 2 days though and has a swollen bump on one side so I am waiting for her to heal before replacing. UGH.

Back
Top Bottom