What are these ducklings? Scovies? (from australia)

nettie

Enslaved by Indoor Ducks
11 Years
Nov 20, 2008
Chicago, IL
Someone emailed me from Australia and doesn't seem to know what breeds her ducks are. She thought they were 5 weeks old, but after seeing this picture, I'm think they are more like 2...

Are the yellow ones scovies? they don't look like pekins to me. Also any clues as to the other ones? i've seen a lot of ducks in my time, and I have just about no clue as to what they could possibly be...

http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphoto...1306517747726_1374004083_854986_2150325_n.jpg

I'm trying to figure out their breeds, because their owner wants harnesses made for them. I'm a little clueless. I'd like to at least get an idea of what breed they are so i know what I can tell her...

Also, is there any way to sex a scovy? They don't quack or get curly feathers... i don't know much about scovies.... I think i read somewhere you can tell by their feet? How old do they have to be before you can tell?

Last edited:
The white ones might be Muscovy but it's hard to tell in that picture. one of the others is crested & they look like maybe mixed breeds....im not really good with non-muscovy breeds though, lol.

one of the other ones almost looks like a fawn and white but the posture is wrong... and the brown part seems too dark... i'm just completely clueless! lol

the best I can say is that the yellows are scovies and the others are mutts - that coloring is very unique. In about two weeks she should be able to tell - those only looka botu a week old. The drakes will out grow the females - looking almost twice the size. The feet will be HUMONGO

Thanks so far guys! They don't look like pekins to me... The bills look too pink and the eyes don't seem right... The other guys might be emery pemciled runners, but it's just so hard to tell. I'll see if she has more pictures....

Their bills dont look muscovy-y to me.
hmm.png

Great pictures though!!
smile.png

I sent her an email asking for more pictures, so hopefully they'll help clear it up...

Those other two have such weird coloring though! It's boggling my mind! I can't think of many ducks that have brown spots... the one looks like it has black and brown on him too... so weird!

Back
Top Bottom