What are these spots?

threelittlepigs

In the Brooder
6 Years
Nov 11, 2013
Rochester, NY
I have been reading lots about dark spots on combs. We have had very cold weather here in Upstate NY, but girls are protected well. I have noticed dark spots by RIR's combs, They are not raised or scabby, and are in the middle of the comb, not the tips (so, dont think frostbite). they are acting fine, eating and drinking well. I tried to take a pic while they were roosting, so hope you can see the spots. I had wondered if they were bruises? Oppringtons have none, just the RIR. Any suggestions? Thank you:)

I'd say frostbite bits of skin. In really cold, damp weather I see these more than any other time..they don't seem to leave any permanent damage and should slough off later on without any problems. I'm seeing similar specks on some of my birds here but not necessarily on comb points...just here and there on the surface of the comb.

Mahlzeit....I am in Rochester, NY...cold here lately.ugh! I thought it may have been injuries as well, it does look like a bruise. I had put bag balm on their combs too, but I honestly think that froze too!!

Its funny, because when I looked at them in person, I did not notice the white tips, but definitely can see them in the pic. Thank you much! I am going to really examine them further tomorrow. Just so fearful of some other illness.

If you so wish, you can probably clip those white tips right off without causing any pain or bleeding to the animal as the circulation is gone there and those tissues are already starting to shrivel and atrophy. If not, it may be that they will self dub, or just fall off, without any discomfort to the animal, all on their own. They may turn black before doing so or may not.

This is one of the reasons you'll see older birds in colder climates don't have the nice, sharp points you see in other areas because they have slowly self dubbed over the years without any problems to the bird.

Back
Top Bottom