What are they feeding our kids????!!!!

farrier!

Songster
10 Years
Feb 28, 2009
Southern Illinois
My daughter is watching a 4.5 yr old. He goes to school full time. He is fed breakfast and lunch at school.
When here he asks for the following food: Chicken nuggets, chicken fries, mac and cheese, french fries, pizza, or peanut butter on white bread and corn (donuts cakes and brownies and candy too). This is the only things he eats other then a McDonald's hamburger.
th.gif

He has no idea what a drumstick is! No idea chicken has bones in it. No idea how to bite a drumstick.

He has just now taken his first bite of the drumstick, the first unprocessed chopped up and breaded fried chicken he has ever had. This was after the argument that he was not going to have his mother take him to McDonald's, he was eating here.

The child looks both pudgy and scrawny at the same time. Pale and only when drinking his mother's mountain dew is he energetic.
He will not touch water or white milk.

I know what his mother feeds him now....
sickbyc.gif
What are the schools doing?????

Poisoning him

Seriously.

His diet is mostly carbohydrates. He will end up obese as an adult with non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. By the time he is 30 he will have type 2 diabetes. Heart disease by 40.

The pudgy and scrawny at the same time look is malnutrition. The pudgy comes from elevated insulin levels and high blood sugar. The scrawny comes from not enough essential fatty acids and poor quality protein.

I'm not sure how the schools can be blamed for this situation. Schools are required by law to offer healthy options. It is the child's choice to pick them.

This kid's mom can pack him a lunch if she doesn't want him to eat school lunch. She can also teach him about healthy eating habits while eating dinner as a family.

It sounds more like a problem with parenting/home training to me.

http://www.aisd.net/departments/cafeteria/ is our district's info if you care to snoop.

Mine eat breakfast at home. Even if it's just a bowl of cereal, it's still better than the fruit loops they offer as a complete meal.

Lunch is made nightly, sandwich (their choice PB&J, Turk/Ham, or sub Pinwheels when I have them), carrots and ranch (homemade), Fruit (pineapple, orange, apple), Cheese (cube or string), a cookie if we have any, and sad to admit a fruit drink. That's the splurge, and why I don't feel bad about no dessert... I should be sending juice, but I'm a sucker.

Dinner varies, but is at home 90+% of the time.

I've gone through a whole month's school menu. For each item I tallied Carb, Dairy, Meat, etc... then tallied for the day... it would be impossible to get all they need nutritionally with what they're serving... for dinner you would have to make NO CARBS, NO FAT, NO SUGAR, NO SALT... some days 1 serving of meat is needed, other days you'd have to do a double portion to hit your protein requirement... veggies... some days 0 are needed, other days 3... fruit... some days 0, some days 3 to reach recommended... they do okay on dairy by offering milk each meal so that's okay minus the chocolate of course... added bonus is that 6th grade (eldest) is the last lunch and what they are served is rarely what's on the menu. They get whatever is left of the menu, and then whatever random stuff is leftover from other days heated up... this avoids having to buy too much (aka enough for everyone) and decreases the wasted food from kids who don't take the rubber pizza on Wed... just serve it to 6th on Thurs... ARGH! So, yeah, I don't want to have to alter my entire shopping list to compensate for their lack of ... care? So I just do all meals.

I agree with Chicken Lady!

Fifteen years ago, I worked as a Sub teacher in the local Middle school..all but 10 school days that year. The lunches were balanced pretty well (except the proverbial chicken nuggets). But...several years ago I was at the same school having lunch with my Grandaughters..I was shocked at the changes..there was a salad bar that was awesome..but there was also the pizza and burrito line and VENDING MACHINES that offered umpteen choices in sodas and candy bars...most of what I saw the students eating--pizza, candy bar and soda..The choices were there but very few made the right choice.

Quote:
The school's first problem is right there. A child has parents because they are not yet cpable of making a responsible decision... grilled chicken or pizza hmmm...???? what?

The scools need to step it up and ONLY off healthy options. We need food to grow and be healthy. We learn how to eat as children. Do schools teach anything else that isn't healthy? Why should they be allowed to teach unhealthy eating? Well, because it's easy to call something a kids food in order to advertise that "food" but we need to takwe it upon ourselves and read labels, cook real food, and encourage our scool systems to do the same!

eta: the mom the OP discussed should be threatened w/ child neglect and forced to take parenting and health classes. just disgusting. Secondly, all these advirtisements where we see healthy, bright kids tankin down sugary snacks on nickelodeon and disney channel should be stopped! Every commercial, my son screams, "I want that!" I have resorted to listening to dvd's during most of his tv time.

Last edited:
yes..they can at that school..middle and high school..No.Cntl Fla...that was several years ago but I don't think it has changed!!..They could buy fund raiser candy from the Library before school at the elementary school........just don't get me started!!!

Quote:
Thank you for putting this into words so much better then I could. My daughter and I are trying to change things but we are both at a loss on how to deal with Mom.
Mom was horridly abused as a child, disabled as a result. I give her full credit for not carrying the abuse forward to another generation. She does not "talk" to her son. Instead she just pokes, tickles and laughs. We still are getting blank looks when we ask a question and wait for an answer. She allows him free reign to run, jump and poke at others houses and in public places.

So much needs "fixing". The hardest is deciding what to work on first.

Maybe suggesting gummy vitamins will be better then nothing.

I am driving Mom to the oral surgeon later today. I just talked to her on the phone and said no McDonald's today. (odds are she will think Burger King is fine then).

I will be pointing out the comments to another friend f the family so maybe between all of us things will improve.

He is not a bad kid but if he does not change how he interacts with people his teachers here will keep pushing him to the side and keep failing to teach him. So very sad.

Back
Top Bottom