What are they? (Sexing and breed question)

rechtash000

Chirping
5 Years
May 16, 2018
I am at a loss here. I have two cochins that I cannot figure out what sex they are for the life of me. They gotta be about 4-6 weeks old by now. I am hoping at least one is a rooster, because I LOVE cochin roosters, and I need a man to protect my ladies. Help. Please!

Here's one:
20180516_114046.jpg

20180516_114048.jpg

And the other:

20180516_114218.jpg
20180516_114225.jpg

And now my breed question. What is the chick below? I got it from a batch that was supposed to be splash cochins and dark brahmas, but it is clearly neither of those, which does happen at the place I get them from. It's got fuzzy legs and is taller than my for sure cochins by quite a bit. Any ideas? (Sorry for bad photo, this one was not very cooperative)

20180516_114720.jpg

TIA for any help. With my luck I pulled all hens from a bin of straight runs when I was going for a roo!

Haha exactly! I hate to admit it, but I agree that they are hens. I guess I'll just have to keep an eye on my chicken dealer. There is one more from the straight run group but it seems like a runt. Nearly a third the size of the rest. It's probably the rooster :p

I am at a loss here. I have two cochins that I cannot figure out what sex they are for the life of me. They gotta be about 4-6 weeks old by now. I am hoping at least one is a rooster, because I LOVE cochin roosters, and I need a man to protect my ladies. Help. Please!

Here's one:
View attachment 1391037
View attachment 1391844

And the other:

View attachment 1391845 View attachment 1391846

And now my breed question. What is the chick below? I got it from a batch that was supposed to be splash cochins and dark brahmas, but it is clearly neither of those, which does happen at the place I get them from. It's got fuzzy legs and is taller than my for sure cochins by quite a bit. Any ideas? (Sorry for bad photo, this one was not very cooperative)

View attachment 1391847

TIA for any help. With my luck I pulled all hens from a bin of straight runs when I was going for a roo!
Oh I love your splash/mottled cochin! I want one! :)

So recent development with my frizzle cochin... I think I have myself a strapping young cockerel. More color in wattles and comb, and more of them. The black one hasn't changed a bit so I'm still on the fence; the vote is 1 for pullet and 1 for cockerel. For Drizzle the Frizzle I'm throwing my hat in for roo, making it 1:2.
20180521_202055.jpg
20180521_202108.jpg

Red cochin, huh? My friend who got chickens from the same place thinks she got one, too. I actually didn't know they came in red, so that makes sense. Why in the world does it have barely any leg feathering, then? It's hard to see from the pics, but compared to the other cochins it's a huge difference. Can that happen?

Back
Top Bottom