What are they?

Wilynn

In the Brooder
Jan 15, 2024
1000008740.jpg
1000008919.jpg
1000008519.jpg
PLEASE HELP!!
I got these bantam beauties from a coworker who could no longer keep them because she lives in the city. She can't recall what breed they are, so her I am. I came across a few different ones that look similar but can't pin point. Blue/ black/ splash Andalusian, spanish white face (black ones), old English.. I just don't know lol

Attachments

• 1000008713.jpg
    1000008713.jpg
    562.1 KB · Views: 7
One or two do look like white faced black Spanish, but I'm not sure if there is a bantam variety, and if there is, it must be very rare. I see feathered feet on one of them, so does the coworker remember if she bought all these birds as siblings, or as the same breed/mix (because the latter would prove that not only some, but all are mixes, which is a very real possibility)? Another thing to ask the coworker would be if she remembers from where she got tthem. @JedJackson @NatJ @JacinLarkwell @Amer @Rhodebar Lover any thoughts?

One or two do look like white faced black Spanish, but I'm not sure if there is a bantam variety
White Faced Black Spanish Bantams do exist. Privett Hatchery sells them:
https://www.privetthatchery.com/product/970
I think some feed stores order from there, so just walking into a store and finding them is possible.

That is one source in the USA. I don't know what may exist in other countries, or which country we are talking about here.

I see feathered feet on one of them, so does the coworker remember if she bought all these birds as siblings, or as the same breed/mix (because the latter would prove that not only some, but all are mixes, which is a very real possibility)? Another thing to ask the coworker would be if she remembers from where she got tthem.
All good thoughts. As regards the feet, I have gotten birds with that amount of feathering from parents that had clean legs and were of clean-legged breeds. So it might not mean any recent mixing with a feather-footed breed.

I came across a few different ones that look similar but can't pin point. Blue/ black/ splash Andalusian, spanish white face (black ones), old English.. I just don't know lol
Yes, all of those could be possibilities. If you are in the USA, Old English are more common than the others on that list.

Some of the earlobes look bigger than what I would expect on Old English, I don't know whether there are bantam versions of Andalusians, and I haven't seen blue in the White Faced Spanish. So I'm inclined to think they are a mix of some sort, but I can't be positive about that.

If they were bought at a store or directly from a hatchery, they are more likely to be specific breeds rather than a mix. If someone bred them from a backyard flock, a mix is much more likely. If one parent was a White Faced Black Spanish and the other was a Blue Old English, I think that would give birds like you have in the photos.

Rosecomb bantams also come in black, blue, and splash, and look similar except for having a rose comb. So if those birds are a mix, Rosecomb is another breed that could be involved.

One or two do look like white faced black Spanish, but I'm not sure if there is a bantam variety, and if there is, it must be very rare. I see feathered feet on one of them, so does the coworker remember if she bought all these birds as siblings, or as the same breed/mix (because the latter would prove that not only some, but all are mixes, which is a very real possibility)? Another thing to ask the coworker would be if she remembers from where she got tthem. @JedJackson @NatJ @JacinLarkwell @Amer @Rhodebar Lover any thoughts?
There's a bantam variety. I used to have a bunch, still have one hen that's nearly 12 . They at the very least have it in their recent background based on the earlobes, but they could be pure too, I'll have to look at my gals legs. Lavender is a possibility, but that is extremely unlikely.

The black ones are white-faced black Spanish bantams. A blue variety does exist, which means a splash variety would also exist. That could be what yours are, or the blue and splash ones could be hybrids with Andalusians or something else. The white pigment on the faces can take over a year to develop, so yours may change over time.

A white faced lavender variety also exists, from Spain, but none of these looks lavender to me.

*** On second glance, I'm seeing feathered legs on some of the blue/splash ones, so they are hybrids between white faced black Spanish and something else. Maybe blue Cochins or blue Sablepoot bantams.

The black ones are white-faced black Spanish bantams. A blue variety does exist, which means a splash variety would also exist. That could be what yours are, or the blue and splash ones could be hybrids with Andalusians or something else. The white pigment on the faces can take over a year to develop, so yours may change over time.

A white faced lavender variety also exists, from Spain, but none of these looks lavender to me.

*** On second glance, I'm seeing feathered legs on some of the blue/splash ones, so they are hybrids between white faced black Spanish and something else. Maybe blue Cochins or blue Sablepoot bantams.
Oh you're totally right, that's not lavender. I was barely awake when I glanced through the images.

They all came from the same flock. The m
White Faced Black Spanish Bantams do exist. Privett Hatchery sells them:
https://www.privetthatchery.com/product/970
I think some feed stores order from there, so just walking into a store and finding them is possible.

That is one source in the USA. I don't know what may exist in other countries, or which country we are talking about here.

All good thoughts. As regards the feet, I have gotten birds with that amount of feathering from parents that had clean legs and were of clean-legged breeds. So it might not mean any recent mixing with a feather-footed breed.

Yes, all of those could be possibilities. If you are in the USA, Old English are more common than the others on that list.

Some of the earlobes look bigger than what I would expect on Old English, I don't know whether there are bantam versions of Andalusians, and I haven't seen blue in the White Faced Spanish. So I'm inclined to think they are a mix of some sort, but I can't be positive about that.

If they were bought at a store or directly from a hatchery, they are more likely to be specific breeds rather than a mix. If someone bred them from a backyard flock, a mix is much more likely. If one parent was a White Faced Black Spanish and the other was a Blue Old English, I think that would give birds like you have in the photos.

Rosecomb bantams also come in black, blue, and splash, and look similar except for having a rose comb. So if those birds are a mix, Rosecomb is another breed that could be involved.
Yes, those are all my thoughts on this. The mom hen came with all those chicks, but her and a similar splash hen shared the eggs so my coworker wasn't sure who's eggs belonged to which hen lol. He while flock consist of the same variety and the only ones she has. The 2 big roos came from the flock as well.

They do have a bantam andalusian and they are one of the closest I've seen. She thought they were rose comb but they don't have that. Either way, they are adorable and very pretty, especially in the sunlight. One of the black roos give a blue green tint in the light.. it's pretty.

Back
Top Bottom