What are we???, 4 weeks now, compare photos...UPDATE PG4

Quote:
I agree. I have 6 red sex links and they lay an each day and we get very very cold weather. They are friendly too. No problems so far.

Sex links, they lay steady and lay a large egg, but you gotta go classic with barred rock, or reds.
thumbsup.gif

Rocks, Australorps, Orpingtons and Faverolles. All of them are good layers, hardy in our hot summers/cold winters and have great temperaments. Good foragers, too, but calm if they need to be confined to a run.

I'm partial to partridge rocks, but all the varieties (colors) are great. Ours were lap chickens. The Faverolles are good winter layers and cuties, too. The Australorps have lovely dark eyes and beautiful faces. And who can resist a fluffy golden Orp?

Lots of eggs, inner beauty and outer beauty...

love.gif

I definitely go with a few or all red sex links. They are great layers, nice dispositions, delawares,orpingtons. If you want some white eggs go for your white leghorn, you can't beat this egglaying machine. I love the jersey giant, a egg about every 2-3 days but so frindly with kids even the roos. It might not be a good choice in nv though, they are very cold hardy.

Update!!!!!

We got ten chicks this morning...there were probably 100 people in line when they opened the doors. With the economy and the fact that much of the housing here is in areas that do not restrict livestock (the office I worked at for many years had an apartment building across the street, right downtown, that had a goat, chickens, and a sheep!)...I figured it would be a sellout by 10AM. So we were there an hour before they opened and were quickly followed within 10 minutes by the next car, and the next, and the next, ...Many of the people were getting 25+ chicks (the deal was buy a 25# bag of Start 'n Grow, get 5 chicks free so they were buying lots of feed!

No choice on chicks. They were all in a bunch of big horse troughs, bring your box over, we'll scoop up an assortment for you...I'll try to get some pictures up on Sunday. Basically we got 5 yellow chicks (two with feathered feet, 2 with white wings starting, and one I think may be a red of some sort) and 5 dark chicks (2-3 have dark legs, EE's?)

Some appear to be more than day old, and a couple are definitely day-old...the little ones just want to sit under the lamp and are noticeably smaller than the other 8. But everyone is eating, drinking, and pooping
roll.png
...more on Sunday!

I bet they just had an assortment of really nice egg layers. No matter what you have, they'll be very nice chickens. I have my favorite breeds, like anyone does, but to me, they're a little like dogs. I really like all of them!

If you want to, you can look at chick pictures over at feathersite and try to guess breeds. Or you can wait until they develop more and guess. I'm sure everyone would love to guess here, if you post pictures of them, too.

Aren't they just the cutest at that age???

OK, here's the pics...

Gabby (Gabriel) & Mikela (Michael...the angels!), yellow with very white "angel" wings, a few black spots on bodies

IMG_0437.jpg

Hairy & David, the feather footed girls

IMG_0438.jpg

The Baby, all yellow, very small, no other distinguishing marks

IMG_0442.jpg

Thunder & Lightening, dark legs, all grey bodies, striped wings, EE?

IMG_0444.jpg

The 3 chipmunks...their legs look dark, EE's?

IMG_0445.jpg

Opines?????

Awwwww very cute, I am very jelous because I have to wait til May to get mine
tongue.png

UMMM i am not sure aboout the breeds but I think the feathered leg ones are either buff or white cochins.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom