What are we???, 4 weeks now, compare photos...UPDATE PG4

briteday

Crowing
12 Years
Dec 16, 2008
Northern Nevada USA
Our local feed store has a promotion this weekend...buy an $8 bag of chick starter and you get 5 chicks free. So both my daughter and I are going to get chicks...a total of ten. The feed store uses Privett Hatchery and I may or may not have complete choice of what I want, but if I have a choice...

The chicks are already spoken for. A neighbor does not want to be bothered with chicks in the house from now until it's warm enough outside. So we are raising them for her until sometime in April. This will be a bit of practice for us since our own hatchery order will be coming in late April. And the money that the neighbor is paying us for her chicks will cover the cost of our chicks...YEA!!!!

The neighbor would like egg layers, not very picky at all. We have hot, dry summers. And winter temps can get down to 0 but usually the worst of the winter nights are in the 20's. Most days are sunny, even in winter. Summer daytime temps can be 100+ and winter daytime temps usually 30-40 degrees.

So if you could put together a pile of 10 chicks, what would they be? (and you can have more than one chick of a breed)

Last edited:
Orpington, orpington, orpington, orpington,
orpington, orpington, orpington, orpington,
orpington, and ummmmm orpington

My Delawares and Orpington lay the nicest eggs. I have Australorps in the incubator and understand that they are also incredible layers.

I would say orpingtons and for eggs sexlinks. My DH's sexlinks are very good layers as are his speckled sussex. We live in Florida nd have a wide variety of chickens they all tolerate the heat fine. This year they have had to handle the cold as well as it went down to 14 some nights. Its still cold here last night was 26. Australopes are OK but I find them alittle aggressive At least ours are. I dare anyone to go insie his run without a net. He goes straight for your face.

Sex links are nice layers, seems to be very hardy and adaptable to both hot and cold weather. I just ordered Orpington's, speckled sussex, partridge rocks (they are for someone else), golden-laced wyandotte's, and light brahma's. I wanted something different that what I have.

Of the ones I have, my black sexlinks are by far my favorites.

Back
Top Bottom