What are we??

kara_leigh

Songster
8 Years
May 3, 2011
Bradleyville, MO
So, I got these two chicks at the feed store in the "Ameraucana" bin. They were mixed in with chicks of a million colors. I thought they would be solid blue when they were grown b/c they were both solid when I got them, but obviously not anymore. Does anyone have any clue what color they are, and possibly what they will look like fully grown?

#1 - Was solid lavender when I got her.

#2 - Was solid blue when I got her

You should post pictures of their combs. They are Easter Eggers. The second one might be a boy, I think I see red the comb.

The "Easter Egg Chicken", This unusual breed gets its name from the Indian tribe ... Araucanas lay beautiful colored eggs of blue-green shades from turquoise to ..... rich color, and contrasting willow green legs

When then they are chicks they are so cute and fluffy. Buy when the start to feather out they will change color just many chicks do

everyone calls them easter eggers caus of the colored eggs.
there are americaunas and aracaunas and if they have green legs its the aracauna....

cant tell much from pic if its a hen or roo

I dont own any easter eggers, but Ive heard that there can be a multitude of colors.
they look really cute though
love.gif

The "Easter Egg Chicken", This unusual breed gets its name from the Indian tribe ... Araucanas lay beautiful colored eggs of blue-green shades from turquoise to ..... rich color, and contrasting willow green legs

When then they are chicks they are so cute and fluffy. Buy when the start to feather out they will change color just many chicks do

everyone calls them easter eggers caus of the colored eggs.
there are americaunas and aracaunas and if they have green legs its the aracauna....

cant tell much from pic if its a hen or roo
I'm sorry, this is incorrect. Araucanas do not have tails. They have tufts of feathers on the side of their head and do not have beards and muffs. They lay blue eggs.

Ameraucanas do have beards and muffs and come in several standard color patterns. They have slate colored legs and lay only blue eggs.

Easter Eggers are a mixed breed that can lay a blue or green egg (or even a brown or white egg because of mixed parentage). They usually have muffs and beards and green legs, but not always.

There are several threads on here for learning the difference. I know it can be confusing, especially since hatcheries call their Easter Eggers "Americanas".

Last edited:
I'm sorry, this is incorrect. Araucanas do not have tails. They have tufts of feathers on the side of their head and do not have beards and muffs. They lay blue eggs.

Ameraucanas do have beards and muffs and come in several standard color patterns. They have slate colored legs and lay only blue eggs.

Easter Eggers are a mixed breed that can lay a blue or green egg (or even a brown or white egg because of mixed parentage). They usually have muffs and beards and green legs, but not always.

There are several threads on here for learning the difference. I know it can be confusing, especially since hatcheries call their Easter Eggers "Americanas".
Well said
thumbsup.gif

Yup!

Yep, these guys have slate legs. They both have muffs, and the darker one has a beard but it is hard to tell in the pics. :)

Last edited:
Yep, these guys have slate legs. They both have muffs, and the darker one has a beard but it is hard to tell in the pics. :)
Easter Eggers can have Slate legs as well. I have one that does. Ameraucanas can only come in 8 recognized colours. Neither of your chicks are pure Ameraucana. They are Hatchery Easter Eggers.
_MG_9185.jpg
Here is my EE with slate legs
_MG_9179.jpg
Her sister has green legs.

They are pretty. I hope they are both pullets but had to tell without the comb. My EE girls (the double mint twins) can only be told apart by the leg color- one green and one is slate. Can't really tell in this photo.

Back
Top Bottom