What are y’all doing for the hurricane?

I went thru Isaac in 2012. very slow moving storm and we flooded. First time, they said it happened because it was slow. Once in a lifetime thing! Well they were wrong. Ida hit in 2021 cat 4. We flooded again 2 feet in the house. Deeper way in the back yard where my 7 chickens were. Their coop was in a run. Their roost in the coop was about 4ft off the ground. They all drowned that night! They were found in the coop. It was night time when the water started moving in so I’m assuming they were on their roost asleep. My husband made coop was fine, still standing. Houses around me lost the whole roof, just 4 walls remained. Whole brick walls fell off some houses. If I could go back I would have let them out durning the day time so they could have had a chance.
we were out of water and sewage for 2 weeks and power was out for 25 days! Anyplace that reopened wanted cash only. It was so hard to rebuild because material was hard to get and then man power. No one wants to work any more.
good luck and I am praying for you all

I went thru Isaac in 2012. very slow moving storm and we flooded. First time, they said it happened because it was slow. Once in a lifetime thing! Well they were wrong. Ida hit in 2021 cat 4. We flooded again 2 feet in the house. Deeper way in the back yard where my 7 chickens were. Their coop was in a run. Their roost in the coop was about 4ft off the ground. They all drowned that night! They were found in the coop. It was night time when the water started moving in so I’m assuming they were on their roost asleep. My husband made coop was fine, still standing. Houses around me lost the whole roof, just 4 walls remained. Whole brick walls fell off some houses. If I could go back I would have let them out durning the day time so they could have had a chance.
we were out of water and sewage for 2 weeks and power was out for 25 days! Anyplace that reopened wanted cash only. It was so hard to rebuild because material was hard to get and then man power. No one wants to work any more.
good luck and I am praying for you all
So sorry for the hardships you have endured and the loss of your chickens. I can't even imagine. Be careful and stay safe. :hugs

Looks like a great just-in-case set-up, but I have a question for you. Where in the world did you find a NEW wooden chicken crate? I have an ancient one I don't completely trust, but the only new ones I've found are mostly decorative. They're more flimsy than my antique! I'd LOVE to find one like yours.
I made that recently. It’s pretty solid .

i
Worth a chuckle, but really too scary to be truly funny, to me. Reminds me of a baaaad joke I read years ago in one of the "Misty" books. It was about a man being swept out to sea on the living room sofa while his wife accompanied him on the piano. :idunno
it wasn’t a joke. i went out surfing during Sandy. and i’ll bet they’re out there during ian today.

So far.....neighbors fully mature, large magnolia tree is down, some of the screen panels are gone in our Lanai, neighbors and possibly our shingles are flying away, and the pine tree on our property is gone. Oh and the power is out! We are in the eye wall right now.

Back
Top Bottom