what are y'all saving from the wild to deal with coming crisis?

Pics
I just read through this interesting thread. The discussions (that were on topic!) were intriguing, to say the least. Thanks, OP, for a great topic!

View attachment 1824251

But they love collards. I have multiple perennial collards in my suburban homestead that they (and harlequin bugs)love to devour. The cuttings root very easily and they grow fast in our area in Northern California.

I'm surprised more people didn't jump on this. I'm not sure if it's because they don't grow in every zone but I also have perennial purple tree collards and both I and my flock adore them! They are high in both calcium and protein and are an incredibly easy and prolific source of greens. Mine produce baskets full of leaves every day of every month of every year. And chickens LOVE it when they see me grabbing leaves to give to them. I have mine separated in a fenced-in garden but I like the idea of protecting the plant while it's small and then letting girls self-harvest, like you seem to have done, @achiekitty .

I just read through this interesting thread. The discussions (that were on topic!) were intriguing, to say the least. Thanks, OP, for a great topic!

I'm surprised more people didn't jump on this. I'm not sure if it's because they don't grow in every zone but I also have perennial purple tree collards and both I and my flock adore them! They are high in both calcium and protein and are an incredibly easy and prolific source of greens. Mine produce baskets full of leaves every day of every month of every year. And chickens LOVE it when they see me grabbing leaves to give to them. I have mine separated in a fenced-in garden but I like the idea of protecting the plant while it's small and then letting girls self-harvest, like you seem to have done, @achiekitty .

The original plant was surrounded with bamboo “scaffolding” to hold the bird netting. But the girls found a way to get in and use the scaffolding to get to the top branches. That’s when I started rooting multiple cuttings and planting them all over. I have some in the front yard, too. Now people and chickens have enough, including occasional sharing with with neighbors.

My land is in the High desert. Beautiful country and plentiful if you know what to look for...

I just read through the whole thread.... very interesting discussion on all points. I am not a "scientist" But I am a Futurist... good or bad.

Climate Change I agree.... global warming I am on the fence.

Biggest oxygen producer is Algae and the ocean has an abundance. The ocean is in danger from all fronts. All forests should be protected in some manner.... Look at the Myans... Huge civilizations But they cleared their forests.... And the land died because there were no trees to help create Rain.

Politics... Sorry I just glaze over and move on... a subject I have little experience with.

Everyone should carry or keep a larder stocking enough food as backup for any disaster... By disaster I mean, Loss of employment, fire, flood, Earthquake, EMP... know how to preserve and or gather foods from the wild. Protein comes from many sources and not necessarily from animals. Though our Jack rabbits are about the size of a medium dog.... Very lean and best stewed. Rattle snakes provide enough meat for two or three people.

My well is 450 feet deep and considered a low producer.... Our water table has dropped 100 feet in the past ten years. Drought is something tangible and insidious.
I do not water my plants.... I don't have a lawn or nice landscaping... My annual rain fall is about nine to twelve inches.

Yet there is enough forage on the land to feed chickens. Filaree can feed both humans and livestock. Insects are abundant. I do Feed year round Alfalfa, Bermuda, and various feeds for the chickens.

My land is covered in medicinals which should be protected and therefore I dont plant even native species.... I would love to plant in my own sphere my little three acres within my nineteen acres. Fruit trees... Cold hearty because in the winter it gets cold in the desert. lemon, mandarin oranges, Lime, as well as Apples and Pomegranate...

Yep they will require water but I have plans for Grey water use.... Along with Aquaponics .... Raise a few fish, circulate the water through hydroponics beds and trickle it on to add to the grey water.

Well pump.... There are pumps that can run off solar.... Even just a few hours a day off a whole house battery.... Pump the water up to a holding tank and feed it continuously at a trickle rate. I have a three thousand gallon reservoir.

I am a single woman sixty four years old. I have health issues and mobility issues I plan for ease of construction and maintenance. My vegetables and fish will all be grown within my Greenhouse room.

Really.... Survival is for the young... Yet many of us old timers have so much practical knowledge it will make us valuable. I know how to train a horse for work. and make my own harness ....

I can weld in a pinch if need be ....

deb

View attachment 1824251
But they love collards. I have multiple perennial collards in my suburban homestead that they (and harlequin bugs)love to devour.

I'm surprised more people didn't jump on this. I'm not sure if it's because they don't grow in every zone but I also have perennial purple tree collards and both I and my flock adore them! They are high in both calcium and protein@achiekitty .

People worry about alkaloids in Comfrey giving birds liver damage despite studies with thousands of birds only improving their health but be careful if there is indeed calcium in collards.
Extra calcium can give birds up to four months old liver damage.
Not great for roosters either but they can handle it.
That's why I don't feed my birds layer feed.

"I like hickory leaves in an emergency"
What do hickory leaves provide?

Emergency toilet paper. We don't have hickory out here, but there are other wild plants that will work. I can give one good bit of advice regarding this though -- if you ever find yourself hunting deer or elk in the Rockies, in the pines, and you find a flannel shirt pocket laying around, you probably should just leave it laying there.

Back
Top Bottom