what are y'all saving from the wild to deal with coming crisis?

to feed your feather crew? unless y'all have been on the moon lately{LOL). supposedly earth changes are here and getting worse everyday.
So much rain here in ky. and other breadbaskets areas. people having to sell off their herds last summer because of droughts. now flooding etc farmers fields flooded mud everywhere. other places droughts
Mainstream news is not stressing how bad our food supply is right now and coming. supposedly coming winter is to be worst on record
so what do y'all feel to save back for our feather friends. one chat room suggested grass seeds, wild seeds etc. even box elder. which I haven't looked up yet
the animals around here are acting strange
anyones thoughts?

I get concerned about this too. I try to keep a few extra bags of scratch and feed for my flock. I always figure, if it gets really terrible I could try to plant some of the scratch, lol. I was told raising mealworms is difficult, but haven't ever tried it. It seems like a good idea though.

Was the winter terrible for you?

I've heard that some areas will actually benefit from the unusual weather... someone told me that conditions are getting better for wheat and corn in here in Texas, but I have no idea if it's true.

Do you think there will be major food supply issues in the near future? If so, I can't think of anything to do other than stock up, and maybe ferment the feed to make it last longer. Otherwise, I'll have to eat my chickens. That's less cruel than letting them starve.

A lot of that is not correct. I would love it if you would look up some videos of him talking about his policies and beliefs, because I can't do them justice. Like I said, I don't expect to convince you or anyone, I just wanted to say something because it's very important to me and I feel like a lot of people are getting wrong information. However, I feel guilty for hijacking this thread, so I'm going back to the original topic.

It's been nice talking with you!

Oh don't feel guilty for campaigning for BS here; emotions are understandably high. I forgive you.

One thing I've noticed about this weird thing we're going through with everyone freaking out and emptying the shelves is that the next day they are stocked full again (except in maybe some temporary instances until production can ramp up to meet demand, like TP). In the kinds of systems that BS praises and apparently wants (central controlled economies like Cuba, Venezeula, soviet Russia), once the the shelves go empty they stay empty. So we really need to be thankful we live in a system that gives us so much access to so many goods 24/7. Even with all of its faults, it's a remarkable system.

No need to panic. Good gravy get a grip. If you have chickens, surely you have at the minimum a large backyard where you might try growing something that would make a healthy food supplement for your chickens. The stores are not bare of pet food or chicken food yet and likely won't be. Focusing on what you CAN do as opposed to what you CAN'T do is way more productive. I thought the focus of this thread was to "brainstorm" for ideas on how to prepare for a crisis. Well, that crisis is here. What are you really doing? Are you planting or at least preparing to garden and raise some of your own food? That would be a good start in the least. Your laying hens are more valuable as a source of daily protein then they are as a Sunday dinner. I know all of you know this, but are getting caught up in the craziness of this outbreak. If you are young and healthy, there's no need to panic. Check on your elderly neighbors and make sure they have what they need, because they are the ones most vulnerable right now. Best of luck to you all and stay healthy and stop bickering. It's really bad for your blood pressure. :old

No need to panic. Good gravy get a grip. If you have chickens, surely you have at the minimum a large backyard where you might try growing something that would make a healthy food supplement for your chickens. The stores are not bare of pet food or chicken food yet and likely won't be. Focusing on what you CAN do as opposed to what you CAN'T do is way more productive. I thought the focus of this thread was to "brainstorm" for ideas on how to prepare for a crisis. Well, that crisis is here. What are you really doing? Are you planting or at least preparing to garden and raise some of your own food? That would be a good start in the least. Your laying hens are more valuable as a source of daily protein then they are as a Sunday dinner. I know all of you know this, but are getting caught up in the craziness of this outbreak. If you are young and healthy, there's no need to panic. Check on your elderly neighbors and make sure they have what they need, because they are the ones most vulnerable right now. Best of luck to you all and stay healthy and stop bickering. It's really bad for your blood pressure. :old

I like the idea of growing food in your own backyard, or in community gardens. I always like to have some veggies and a few fruit and nut trees growing around me. When I haven't had land I've had ridiculous container gardens :). However, I've never had to rely on these as my sole source of food.

I think the original question was about food shortages for birds/animals specifically, because the conditions in OP's area were not allowing the usual crop production, and were not predicted to get better. Chicken feed doesn't keep very well. A lot of the crops grown in the US are used for animal feed and when there's a disruption in production process there might be a shortage, if I'm understanding correctly. I feel so lucky to be able to go to the store for food needs, but it keeps me separated from what's really going on.

For humans it's easy enough to stock up on canned foods and dried beans and rice... a lot of people recommend having two weeks of whatever supplies you need on hand in general.

I agree with you that people need to not panic and look after each other, especially the elderly. However, while the most recent viral outbreak could trigger production issues, I don't think that's the crisis we are talking about here. For me it's more of, what will I do if the price of grain suddenly doubles, and I'm unable to afford my chickens? What will other people do? It is probably good to have some sort of back up plan. I'd love to hear from anyone who knows more inside information about what's going on (not with the virus, but with crop production and food shortages.)

Back
Top Bottom