What are you adding to your flock this year?

Pics
This year i’m adding a rooster, (crossing my fingers) It’s an Lavender Americanruanas easter egger he’s about 14 weeks now, I have separated him from the main flock ( it’s a hospital/jail/attitude adjuster pen!
The hens have been merciless to him they have made it obvious they do not like him, especially two red stars the llast hens i added last year… they cornered the little rooster and tore out feathers and a large chunk of skin in his rear, near the tail feathers, I’ve never witnessed this level of violence in my flock.
I cleaned the wound and sprayed diluted betidine and I added a few drops of Oregano oil to their drinking water.
We added a rooster last yr. The girls were mean. (but never drew blood)

Now he lives happily in his group of 17 girls. (All who hated him in the beginning)

UPDATE: I just ordered 6 Bresse chicks from Winlock hatchery. Im thinking we may need to reconsider our set up. Im dreaming of breeding coops, meat bird coops, and a rooster coop. My travel plans have been canceled and Im all in with this chicken lady thing.

Current flock: 14
2 RIR hens - Lucy and Phoenix
1 Rusty the buff orpington rooster.
2BO hens - Mary Poopins, Hoodini Red
2 White laced Wyandotte hens - Snuggles 1 and 2
2 White Brahma hens : Cruella and Angel
1 Dominant Copper Hen - Rambo (lived through heat, cold, and a puppy accidently killing it's siblings).
4 rescues: blue saphire, turkin, two unknowns.

Adding more than I should!
Incubated 7 buff orpington RIR backyard cross. Got three black pullets ??? IDK why) and 3 pullets with RIR markings. One buff cockerel was a velociraptor in his past life so he got rehomed. Funny how one bugger stresses the flock.
Got 5 RIR pullets from jinks/coastal. They are deep dark rust colors and im so excited to see them feather out. Im sure they are production reds. Fine by me. They are super sweet and very healthy

Heres where I got impulsive …. Got 12 novagens to hatch from Jinks. Not sure why I did that. I dont want a Novagen Roo??? Should have just picked up pullets. Might call to see if we can change the order.

That puts me at 36 birds (first time ive done the math here lol) I clearly have an obsession.

Also building a 4th coop for meat birds… maybe lol i just love them so and cant commit to butcher them lol

Already dreaming of next year. I love the copper maran eggs and consider adding a few. Id like to maybe add a few Bresse to the flock.
Maybe get a White Rhode island breed quality Roo and hatch some sexlinked chicks. Not sure yet.

Maybe add a broody mom so hatching is easier. Im addicted and need a chicken recovery group. You people are a bad influence 😆

Screenshot_20221101-221148_Chrome.jpg

Having said that we're adding a measley 3 to our flock of 7... But I'm very excited!
1 gold laced Wyandotte
2 easter eggers

I know for a fact I’m adding Millie’s, getting the chicks next month, and I have Buff Brahma chicks (one dark one light).
I’ll be trying to make the coop bigger and if I manage to I’ll be adding Jersey giant hens, maybe some other breeds, I’ll be buying a mystic onyx and some red laced lavenders. Hoping to find a new good rooster (lost both of mine, couldn’t handle temperatures here). I really want a medium rooster and a Millie rooster seeing as I have sizes from silkies to bcms.

Here’s to hoping cinnamon will accept the new roosters and Dill Weed will accept the new hens 🤞

Attachments

• 473C1BAE-855A-400D-A8C7-FC32ED195491.jpeg
    473C1BAE-855A-400D-A8C7-FC32ED195491.jpeg
    496.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 71A440E1-E0AA-401B-A170-E020C1031D22.jpeg
    71A440E1-E0AA-401B-A170-E020C1031D22.jpeg
    719.3 KB · Views: 4
  • C4E52F79-1F93-40C3-B83B-E4977E81E85E.jpeg
    C4E52F79-1F93-40C3-B83B-E4977E81E85E.jpeg
    607.3 KB · Views: 4
  • D0B2F44C-8100-49D7-9003-89BFCCC7D90E.jpeg
    D0B2F44C-8100-49D7-9003-89BFCCC7D90E.jpeg
    368 KB · Views: 4
We have 7 chickens (Buff Oprington, Delaware, White Rock, Plymouth Rock, Gold Laced Wyondotte and Black Australop). We said we add 4 or 5 chickens and have 10 nesting boxes. We have Easter Egger, Columbian Wyondotte and Blue Andalusian baby chicks coming in August.
Currently do I have a surprise box and want to add from them the Salmon Favorella and Partridge Penedesenca. I am thinking about the Light Brahma and Blue Laced Red Wyondotte to keep.

Back
Top Bottom