What are you baking now?

Quote:
No, more sugar will not work, the corn syrup is there to stop the recrystallization of the sugar. If you leave out the corn syrup you are going to end up with a grainy caramel. You can try honey but I'm not going to promise that it will work.

Yesterday I made blueberry rolls. Just like cinnamon rolls but sweet dough filled with blueberries, butter and sugar. Topped with vanilla icing. Very good and different. My boyfriend loves blueberries so they didnt last long enough to get a photo.
wink.png

Quote:
No, more sugar will not work, the corn syrup is there to stop the recrystallization of the sugar. If you leave out the corn syrup you are going to end up with a grainy caramel. You can try honey but I'm not going to promise that it will work.

Perhaps you could make a "simple syrup" which is made by boiling 3 cups of water and 3 cups of sugar together and letting it boil/cook slowly (don't let it burn!) and evaporate until you have the right consistency of syrup.

I'm not sure if that would work in this recipe, but it's worth a try. If it doesn't work, the worst thing that'll happen is you'll have to make another one and try something else.... and I have no doubt SOMEONE in your environment will be more than willing to help you "dispose of" the experimental cake, even if it's less than perfect.
smile.png
Hehehe... my poor kids had to eat sooo many of my baking experiments when they were little.

Quote:

Perhaps you could make a "simple syrup" which is made by boiling 3 cups of water and 3 cups of sugar together and letting it boil/cook slowly (don't let it burn!) and evaporate until you have the right consistency of syrup.

I'm not sure if that would work in this recipe, but it's worth a try. If it doesn't work, the worst thing that'll happen is you'll have to make another one and try something else.... and I have no doubt SOMEONE in your environment will be more than willing to help you "dispose of" the experimental cake, even if it's less than perfect.
smile.png
Hehehe... my poor kids had to eat sooo many of my baking experiments when they were little.

No, a simple syrup made with table sugar will not work, that is just more of the same sugar. Table sugar is Sucrose, corn syrup is a Saccharide, they can't chemically bond together. So the Saccharide will interfere with the recrystallization of the table sugar and give you a smooth candy. And there is a difference between regular corn syrup and high-fructose corn syrup. The plain old corn syrup that we have been using for the last 130 years or more is no more dangerous to your health than table sugar is. The pancake syrup on your weekend table is flavored corn syrup, it's not going to hurt you.

Last edited:
Oatmeal cookies with raisins!

I've never made them before, decided we needed something to snack on so made a batch. Husband is on the couch sick to his stomach because he just ate 7 of them! After 8 years with the guy he finally says to me, "Those are my favorite cookies EVER! Why don't you ever make them?"

I don't know... maybe because you never bothered to tell your baker wife?! Weirdo! lol

I made a homemade chocolate cake last night. From scratch.
yippiechickie.gif
Today is one of my co-workers last day at work. We are celebrating (for her) with Pizza, pop, chips and dip and chocolate cake!
thumbsup.gif

Who has a great chocolate cake recipe?

Back
Top Bottom