What are you canning now?

Mmmm...'tater soup sounds wonderful...haven't had any in ages. Made a big ole pot of chili last night that turned out well...will can the rest of it tomorrow. Did up 10 pints of mushrooms after work today and I'm heading out to prep apples for tomorrow. If I have time, I'll get the carrots ready as well.

We picked up a tall, 2 burner camp stove sort of thing on Sat, and used it to water bath my apple pie filling the other day. Man, does that thing put out the BTU's! It had that big ole quart canner boiling in a jiffy. Used it today for the mushrooms and found it sort of hard to regulate pressure wise...had to turn it down almost as low as it would go and then keep an eagle eye on the dial, but finally got it figured out. It's so much faster and great to keep the heat and moisture outside rather than in the house.
Glad you were able to get it out of the house, It has been 105 here the last 4 days and I would have done the same thing if I had anything left to can

After we scouted around, the weather cooled off quite a bit and I sort of hesitated. I really wasn't looking for a 2 burner stove but they had it on sale for less than the 1 burner! DH and I talked it over and decided it would be one of those things that later on, we'd be thinking "why didn't we get the double?" This one was $89 and the single was $94!? No brainer! My stove is electric so even on cooler days, I'd rather use the gas. It's on the deck now and did great...if it gets too icky, we can always lift the big garage door and set it just inside, out of the rain. Next year, on hot days, I can use one burner to cook the stuff and the other to process it, so I'm really glad we got it! I

After we scouted around, the weather cooled off quite a bit and I sort of hesitated. I really wasn't looking for a 2 burner stove but they had it on sale for less than the 1 burner! DH and I talked it over and decided it would be one of those things that later on, we'd be thinking "why didn't we get the double?" This one was $89 and the single was $94!? No brainer! My stove is electric so even on cooler days, I'd rather use the gas. It's on the deck now and did great...if it gets too icky, we can always lift the big garage door and set it just inside, out of the rain. Next year, on hot days, I can use one burner to cook the stuff and the other to process it, so I'm really glad we got it! I

You got pics. I've considered one from Gander Mountain for processing chickens.

Dark now, Rancher, but I'll grab one for ya tomorrow. I never thought about that, but it would be great for that! It's got a nice wind baffle and will handle great big pots with ease.

Mmmm...'tater soup sounds wonderful...haven't had any in ages.  Made a big ole pot of chili last night that turned out well...will can the rest of it tomorrow.  Did up 10 pints of mushrooms after work today and I'm heading out to prep apples for tomorrow.  If I have time, I'll get the carrots ready as well.

We picked up a tall, 2 burner camp stove sort of thing on Sat, and used it to water bath my apple pie filling the other day.  Man, does that thing put out the BTU's!  It had that big ole quart canner boiling in a jiffy.  Used it today for the mushrooms and found it sort of hard to regulate pressure wise...had to turn it down almost as low as it would go and then keep an eagle eye on the dial, but finally got it figured out.  It's so much faster and great to keep the heat and moisture outside rather than in the house.
Wonder if that's an old outdoor fryer burner. I bet that would be great! Also would be super for scalding water if you ever processed your own birds!

After a not-so-successful attempt at using our BBQ, I started searching online. Most I saw were only about 4 inches high or so and we'd have needed to build something to put it on. Lots were imo too flimsy to hold a big ole pot of water and jars. Finally found one on Amazon that was up on legs and I really liked it...it was tall enough that I wouldn't have to bend all the time, but not so tall that I couldn't lift stuff on and off. It was about $65 or so with free shipping. I very nearly ordered it but Dave suggested we check locally to see what we might find. This is what we found...for $89. I'm very pleased with it!

Micky328, that looks like a nice one.

It looks similar to one that we were looking at purchasing last summer but couldn't think of a use for it. Little did I know I would be a canning fool this fall.

Question for those in the know for apples:
I have the opportunity to order some apples from Utah. I want to can applesauce and pie filling. Possibly dehydrate some also for snacks.
My options are: Jonathan, JonaGold, Red Delicious, Golden Delicious, and Macintosh.

I know want Mac for sure for applesauce, but will the Jonathons or JonaGolds be good for pie filling? I think they will dehydrate better, but more important is pie filling.

I don't ever cook with delicious, infact I won't even buy a Red Delicious because they have not taste to them.

Today turned out really warm again, so I'm glad we didn't wait...I've got my apples processing out there even as we speak :)

Macs are great for pies! They've got that nice sweet/tart taste to them. If I had my choice, I'd use Macs for pretty much everything from eating fresh to sauce, to pies, to butter, to juice.

Ended up with a full crock of sauce cooking down for butter, should be about 2.5 qts when done, have about 2.5 gallons of apple juice straining to can and about 5 lbs of pressure left to go before I haul out 12 pints of chili. There's a good half gallon of chicken broth cooling in the fridge so I can skim the fat and get it canned up, and a whole pot full of wings to pick thru so I can get that canned up too. Only 2 eggs today (?!...haven't had a two egg day in over a month) but the girls got a nice treat of apple leavings as well. I think tonight while I'm parked in front of the TV, I'll get carrots and potatoes cleaned to can tomorrow. I think I may see the end of the road...but then that glimmer I think is daylight is probably an oncoming train! LOL

Back
Top Bottom