What are you canning now?

SCORE! Found someone who just butchered 3 hogs and got me some sausage.
The bad news is, the Ball Blue Book says not to can sausage with sage as it
can become bitter. Anyone ever have a problem with this?

Last edited:
SCORE!  Found someone who just butchered 3 hogs and got me some sausage.
The bad news is, the Ball Blue Book says not to can sausage with sage as it
can become bitter.  Anyone ever have a problem with this?

I would suggest trying a small batch with half the amount the recipe says and see what happens. I can somehow understand where it would do that. Don't even ask me why.

As for using a mix. Well, I do sausage in order to save money. I buy meat at sale prices then make ground meat and sausage. Most of the mixes add $1 per pound to the sausage. Nope. I want to mix my own spices. Guess I'm just too cheap. LOL!!

Well, its not canning but I did just process my first deer! We don't hunt but my DH lovvvves venison summer sausage. A deer got hit in front of our house so we called the sheriff and got all the papers so we could have it processed. Checked on prices and changed our minds. It was a button buck so we didn't get a whole lot of meat but I have already made 5 pounds of summer sausage (which is getting rave reviews) and 1 pound of jerky. The backstraps are being used for steaks. Now that we got that done, and I had ground all of the meat up to this point by hand, I bought an electric meat grinder/ sausage stuffer yesterday to finish up the 8 more pounds of meat to grind for more summer sausage. Between the electric grinder, the casing, any seasonings I didn't have, driving 30 minutes to get the hi-temp cheese, the high temp cheese at 4.99/lb, I am quickly becoming the butt of the jokes about why venison cost so much per pound.
lol.png

Last edited:
Venison sausage, yum!!

Congrats on the "free" meat! Do you have a seasoning recipe that you are willing to share?

Now that you have a meat grinder, you can save lots of money buying meat on sale and grinding your own burger. I have started grinding up sale roasts for burger - why pay $3.99 per pound for burger when I can grab a chuck roast on sale for $3.25 per pound and making a nice lean ground beef.

Just finished 35 half-pints of orange marmalade for the farmers market this coming Saturday.

I had the best compliment on my jams last weekend. It was my first time selling the orange marmalade, and I always have samples for tasting. One repeat customer said she didn't need to sample the marmalade since everything I sell tastes delicious. That felt really good!

Well, its not canning but I did just process my first deer! We don't hunt but my DH lovvvves venison summer sausage. A deer got hit in front of our house so we called the sheriff and got all the papers so we could have it processed. Checked on prices and changed our minds. It was a button buck so we didn't get a whole lot of meat but I have already made 5 pounds of summer sausage (which is getting rave reviews) and 1 pound of jerky. The backstraps are being used for steaks. Now that we got that done, and I had ground all of the meat up to this point by hand, I bought an electric meat grinder/ sausage stuffer yesterday to finish up the 8 more pounds of meat to grind for more summer sausage. Between the electric grinder, the casing, any seasonings I didn't have, driving 30 minutes to get the hi-temp cheese, the high temp cheese at 4.99/lb, I am quickly becoming the butt of the jokes about why venison cost so much per pound.
lol.png
celebrate.gif
Heck yea

been canning meatloaf today...lots...26 jars...actually some are in the fridge and will be processed first thing tomorrow.(second batch) ..because..first time this has happened...but in the last 20 minutes...lost pressure...there still was water in it so don't know what it was...first time I had any problems since switching to an all american...i know i really had to watch pressure in my old presto...hopefully all dosen't over process to much...with doing twice..couldn't resist and tryed some...mmmmmhhhhgooooddd

been canning meatloaf today...lots...26 jars...actually some are in the fridge and will be processed first thing tomorrow.(second batch) ..because..first time this has happened...but in the last 20 minutes...lost pressure...there still was water in it so don't know what it was...first time I had any problems since switching to an all american...i know i really had to watch pressure in my old presto...hopefully all dosen't over process to much...with doing twice..couldn't resist and tryed some...mmmmmhhhhgooooddd
How long have you had your all american, and what size is it? Thinking about investing in one. And if you don't mind, PM the recipe for your meatloaf.
I want to can anything possible, and I just found a new friend that butchers hogs and cows!

Venison sausage, yum!!

Congrats on the "free" meat! Do you have a seasoning recipe that you are willing to share?

Now that you have a meat grinder, you can save lots of money buying meat on sale and grinding your own burger. I have started grinding up sale roasts for burger - why pay $3.99 per pound for burger when I can grab a chuck roast on sale for $3.25 per pound and making a nice lean ground beef.
Here ya go! Everybody who has tasted it says its as good as professionally processed. I used the pepper jack cheese with no jalapenos for half of it and the other half is just cheddar cheese. The place I had to go to get the hi-temp cheese had both so I just bought both. I have the second batch curing now and will be cooked tomorrow night or saturday morning. We don't have a smoker so I did it in the oven. Also on the recipe, it doesn't say how much liquid smoke to add but I used regular strength and put in two teaspoons. I also just used dry milk in place of the soy flour.

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1272555

So how exactly do you can meatloaf? Mix up your recipe and can it raw? Do you add all ingredients before you can it (onion, bread or crackers, cheese)?

Back
Top Bottom