What are you canning now?

So far I have done 70qt green beans,28qt dill pickles, About 100 pts of jam and jelly, 10 pts of peas (froze and dehydrated the rest), froze 20qt corn, froze 7qt zucchini 17 pts of cherry pie filling, 1 gallon apple juice and 11qt whole tomatoes(just got started on them. Still need to do tomatoes, pears, peaches and try watermelon jam and what ever else I decide to try. Wish I had more of some stuff but with 4 kids under12 ( my youngest is 1) I probably wouldn't have time to do it.

Where do you manage to hide all of your canned goods and jars? And how big is your garden or do you buy some of it? I have always wondered how people can can that much, I just got 13 pints and 7 1/2 pints of relish done, and I thought I was going to die doing that with 2.5 kids under foot.

We store it in the basement. We have a big garden and help my father in law with his 2 gardens so we share with each other. My green beans flopped this year but his did great where my peas,potatoes onions and garlic did great and his didn't. We also give a lot away to friends and family. The only catch is they have to help pick it.

luckily my oldest likes to help prep for canning and younger 2(9 and 8) help with my youngest. I Also do a lot of late nights and early mornings. I absolutely love canning. Even though it is a ton of work its very satisfying to see all the food we have put up.

is the .5 under chin? that would make it even more difficult.

She is my daycare kid, I only have her half the month and half the day, so she is my 1/2 time kid. It is funny when we all go out because she is only a year younger than my oldest and loves to take care of the youngest who is 2. I wish I was pregnant again, but I have to wait another year till I can start sweet talking Hubby into having 3 kids, and hopefully be on our way to potty training and maybe we will be in a house by then with our own insurance to cover it.

I had a busy day today! The pressure canner was working overtime. I started with 2 1 gallon cans of mushrooms that were given to me. A friend gives these to me every so often. As I've done before, I heated those with the juice, and put them in half-pint jars. Pressure canned for for 45 minutes. Moved onto field peas from the garden. PC'd 11 pints of those. Meanwhile, DH was making his "famous" beans - pinto beans with sausage, ground beef & smoked pork. Jarred 13 pints of those and they're in the PC right now. And still have about a gallon of beans in the fridge.

Tomorrow, it'll be onto salsa & dill pickle relish!!

Back
Top Bottom