What are you canning now?

For those of you with viable incomes, this is a great idea! It is something I would get.

http://www.disasterstuff.com/store/pc/Canning-Jar-Tote-Box-The-Jar-Box-
141p1405.htm#.VHC1HovF92E

jarbox_quart_350.jpg

Last edited:
This is the time of year that satsumas come in. I've been wanting to try a jelly or marmalade with these delicious citrus, but haven't until this year. I found this recipe for marmalade: http://www.culicurious.com/satsuma-marmalade-recipe/ and the spices looked interesting, so I gave it a try. The instructions say to cook it to 223 degrees. That seemed kind of high for me, but I went for it anyway. While it tasted delicious, it came out like paste - so think you could barely get a spoon into it. The 2nd batch, I cooked to 220 degrees. It came out like syrup. So I called my friends at Pomona Pectin. Their help line is great for adjusting recipes. What we came up with was to use ¾ teaspoon of pectin & ½ teaspoon of calcium water per cup of cooked fruit/water mixture. That worked wonderfully!

This is a really tasty marmalade. The ginger, cardamom and vanilla extract add just the right amount of spice to the mixture.

Today was the final harvest. Took the last of the Cortlands off the tree.... Now just have to decide what to do with them....

Also awoke to the raucous sound of crows (about 20) trying to open pecans on our skylights. That told me it was time to harvest the pecans, too!

Harvestable crops done for the year. All trees and vines and shrubs looking to keep me occupied with the cleanup duties of Fall.

do you spray your trees? Any advice.

I have a granny smith and there were flowers but no fruit. I don't recall my neighbors trees having fruit either. Next spring I'll cover the the blossoms and pollinate by hand.

Canned pineapple today. Bought big fresh ones for 89¢ last week so canned up 8 pints of chunks. Still have a couple fresh to make up and use in thanksgiving cranberry salad.
I never considered canning pineapple is it worth it? How hard is it and do I need a pressure cooker? I just threw another in the compost. DW buys them and then they just sit there. I should have cut it up myself but didn't. I am kicking myself.

I'm in NYS. What are some of the things you grow to can or freeze? Where do you buy seeds? I'm getting catalogs and would like to avoid Monsanto and their subsidiaries.

I've got the new Seed Saver catalog.

1579123686.jpg

Country Wisdom & Know-How

The Editors of Storey Publishing's Country Wisdom Bulletins

Published by Black Dog & Leventhal Publishers (2004-09-01)
ISBN 10: 1579123686 / ISBN 13: 9781579123680

New / PAPERBACK / Quantity Available: > 20
From GIANTBOOKSALE (BAYSHORE, NY, U.S.A.)
Bookseller Rating:
fivestar.gif

Available From More Booksellers
22 NewfromUS$ 9.3817 UsedfromUS$ 14.94

I love this one. It makes me want to do more than I have time or energy for though. I have to keep reminding myself that self sufficentcy does not have to be TOTAL self sufficentcy. Every bit helps, it is not all or nothing.

Back
Top Bottom