What are you canning now?

1579123686.jpg

Country Wisdom & Know-How

The Editors of Storey Publishing's Country Wisdom Bulletins

Published by Black Dog & Leventhal Publishers (2004-09-01)
ISBN 10: 1579123686 / ISBN 13: 9781579123680

New / PAPERBACK / Quantity Available: > 20
From GIANTBOOKSALE (BAYSHORE, NY, U.S.A.)
Bookseller Rating:
fivestar.gif

Available From More Booksellers
22 NewfromUS$ 9.3817 UsedfromUS$ 14.94

I love this one. It makes me want to do more than I have time or energy for though. I have to keep reminding myself that self sufficentcy does not have to be TOTAL self sufficentcy. Every bit helps, it is not all or nothing.

I agree with that. I can only do so much but whatever I do for myself/us. I don't have to pay someone else to do.
wink.png
I'll look both books up and see if the library has them. There's always so many books and blogs out there you can't read or follow them all. Besides If you're watching someone else do something you're not doing anything yourself. Right?

I didn't find either at the library but I may find them at Barnes and Nobles.

There is so much out there you just can't read them all.
ep.gif
I can see why Gramma had her regular recipes. I'm getting there where I'll make the staples I like.

I do like to try new jam and jelly recipes. Some folks like them some folks don't. DW didn't like the Pear ginger but I thought it tasted good.

Yes, I find I keep making the same things as well. I know what to expect, I have the ingredients, and we like it.
Although,I do try different things just to keep them all on their toes.

I did not spray the apples last year (I was away at the optimal time) and suffered a horrible amount of coddling moth damage. Pecan trees get no spray. My neighbor had a beautiful crop of apples this year and her secret is a gallon milk jug cut in half filled with water and then a combo of sugar, oil and I think she said either ammonia or dish soap. Anyway, she stuck it in the crotch of the tree and it apparently smells like sex to the coddling moths because they flock to it and drown. I'll have to pick her brain again for the exact recipe.

I am really tempted to do a NEEM oil spray this winter. But normally I just hit the trees in the spring with Spray-and-Grow on the buds and foliage and then also pound the Miracle Grow spikes into the ground.

We do heirloom veggies and get our seeds from Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds (a/k/a/ www.rareseeds.com) who produce one of the most beautiful seed catalogs ever. This upcoming year we're doing an all-French garden, well, except for the chile peppers and we got those seeds locally from Plants of the Southwest in Santa Fe.

Canned pineapple today. Bought big fresh ones for 89¢ last week so canned up 8 pints of chunks. Still have a couple fresh to make up and use in thanksgiving cranberry salad.

I never considered canning pineapple is it worth it?  How hard is it and do I need a pressure cooker?  I just threw another in the compost. DW buys them and then they just sit there.  I should have cut it up myself but didn't. I am kicking myself. 

Easy peasy. Cut it up in chunks, mix with sugar or syrup or juice, pack in pint jars and water bath ... I think for 25 minutes. I'm not at home or I would check the blue book.

I'm just looking for ways to save pineapple and not have it rot.

Now I've got some Scarlet runner beans and want to save them for next year. Can someone tell me the best way to save and store them?

I have a White pumpkin too. Some gave it to DW decorated with little white pearls. I want to cut it open and save seeds to plant. Has anyone every saved pumpkin seeds?

I have a small college sized fridge is that of any use in saving seeds over the winter?

I'm just looking for ways to save pineapple and not have it rot.

Now I've got some Scarlet runner beans and want to save them for next year. Can someone tell me the best way to save and store them?

I have a White pumpkin too. Some gave it to DW decorated with little white pearls. I want to cut it open and save seeds to plant. Has anyone every saved pumpkin seeds?

I have a small college sized fridge is that of any use in saving seeds over the winter?

It is really easy to save seed . They must be fully dry before sealing airtight . I use ziplock bags or envelopes . I let mine dry on top of the water heater in the basement . Warm but not hot . This speeds up drying . I have some drying now . No need to refrigerate . You can also dry them in a food dehydrator on low .

Bean and peas I allow to dry on the vine out in the garden and greenhouse. Then I pick them or leave them until spring... Pill bottles work well for storage too

My laxton peas I bred for heat and drought tolerance

if anyone is interested in doing a seed exchange by mail PM me I have lots of organic heirloom and non-GMO seeds thousands and thousands and thousands of seeds I'd be interested in similar quality in return

I've done it before and was shocked to find the postage cost a lot less then seeds from a supplier....

Bean and peas I allow to dry on the vine out in the garden and greenhouse. Then I pick them or leave them until spring... Pill bottles work well for storage too

My laxton peas I bred for heat and drought tolerance

if anyone is interested in doing a seed exchange by mail PM me I have lots of organic heirloom and non-GMO seeds thousands and thousands and thousands of seeds I'd be interested in similar quality in return

I've done it before and was shocked to find the postage cost a lot less then seeds from a supplier....
Well I had my runners in the pods like that but I don't think they were all that dry so I popped them out and have the bean laying on a paper towel for right now. Should I leave them till they're wrinkly or put them in a paper envelope?

I'd like to get the hang of it so I can store beans for Chili and not have to buy them.

Back
Top Bottom