What are you canning now?

Does anyone have this type of canner? They use less water and since I don't do large amounts at a time it seems like it might make sense for me. If so what style do you have?

shopping

Does anyone have this type of canner? They use less water and since I don't do large amounts at a time it seems like it might make sense for me. If so what style do you have?

I also have the victorio steam canner. It's the only BWB canner I use now. So much faster & safer than a huge pot full of boiling water. I can even stack a 2nd row of half pint jars so I can get 16 jars in one batch. It holds 7 quart jars.

https://smile.amazon.com/Aluminum-T...?srs=2603252011&ie=UTF8&qid=1508510847&sr=8-2

Anyhow, pick them all and wash them in hot water and a bleach solution, OR I used vinegar. Rinse. Wash them picking off stems and dry them on cookie racks. THEN I put them in a box just the right size that fits the cookie racks. I put the greenest on the bottom. Then on the second rack more green but (and this is important) an apple. (Any kind will do I suppose). Then a third rack with those that are a bit more ripe and another apple. That was all that would fit. On top of that row I put a sheet of tissue paper, closed the box and put it in the back room which is dark and cool this time of year. I'll check them every couple of days or so. They won't taste as good as vine ripe but they'll be usable. You can of course freeze or can them if you wish, but at least they won't have gone to waste. Choose only those tomatoes with out blemish of course. Have a nice day folks hope this helps someone.
I’ve never done it this way, but I see how an apple helps. But why use bleach?

The recipe I am using states not to add liquids just pack the meat.

Here is the recipe I followed:

1. Visually examine the canning jars (Mason jars are very popular) for nicks, cracks and sharp edges.
2. Wash jars, lids, and bands in hot, soapy water. Rinse. Place lids in a saucepan, cover with water and bring to a simmer(180 degrees). REMOVE FROM HEAT. Leave lids in hot water until ready to use.
3. Place jars in a sauce pot, cover with water and bring to a boil. REMOVE FROM HEAT. Leave jars in hot water until ready to use.
4. Cut the venison into small cubes or chunks. Clean the meat thoroughly and then fill the clean, hot jars with the venison. Don't put juices or water in the jars. Leave about 1" head space between the top of the meat and the top of the jar.
5. Remove air bubbles with a non-metallic spatula.
6. Wipe top edge and threads of jar with a clean, damp cloth. Place lid on jar with sealing compound next to glass.
7. Screw band down evenly and firmly. DO NOT USE EXCESSIVE FORCE.
8. Use a steam pressure canner. Place as many jars of venison as possible into the canner. MAKE SURE JARS ARE SITTING ON TOP OF RACK PROVIDED WITH THE CANNER. This rack keeps the jars from getting too hot.
9. Follow the instructions for the pressure canner. The canner I have holds 7 quarts of meat and it takes 90 minutes at 11 psi. The time starts once 11 psi is obtained.
10. When processed, remove jars from canner. Carefully place jars on a towel or wooden surface out of drafts. DO NOT RE-TIGHTEN BANDS. Let jars cool 12-24 hours. The meat will bubble and boil for at least an hour after you remove them from the canner. Test for a seal. If center of lid is down, jar is sealed. Remove bands if you wish. Wipe jars clean.
11. Store the venison in a cool, dry, dark place. Bands may be reused. LIDS CANNOT BE REUSED.
Love canned venison, been doing it for years. A lot of people don't realize you can do it.

Back
Top Bottom