What are you canning now?

I made some pink grapefruit marmalade yesterday. It's a very pretty soft pink. It's the first time I've ever made marmalade, and it took forever. I used a recipe from the The Joy of Jams, Jellies, and Sweet Preserves that someone on this site recommended. You boil the rind three times, each time changing the water. Then, you cut it up into very thin slivers. It tastes wonderfully, looks gorgeous, but it only made three small jars. Truly, it's worth it's weight in gold.

Sandee, just got back here to see your update. Will be praying.
hugs.gif

Well that didn't work. The new marmalade tastes fantastic, bright and gorgeous looking, but it's way too runny. Now I have to try to figure out if there's any way to rescue it. Can I add universal pectin and do something with it? Any tips or ideas?

I know that marmalade has to not be moved for a week or so. or it will mess up the jell.
I caught my husband tipping each jar over. I said,"don't do that or it won't jell!' and he said, 'I have done it everyday for a week!'
It was syrup over waffles and crapes. and I never tried again.

Its a little late but last weekend I made candy apple jelly and two batches of cherry almond jelly. Oh and I got my first injury from canning. A nice 6" long steam burn
barnie.gif
The second layer of skin is beginning to peel now.

Quote:
I'm sure it was SO frustrating at the time but ...
lau.gif

I got a good deal on grapefruit today -- $0.50 / lb -- so I'm going to do up some pints of that tomorrow.

I am canning chicken . Deboned and already seasoned with broth all ready to open for soup or chicken and dumplings . I have about 34 quarts done and alot more old hens to go .

Patty

Quote:
Anna, it can take marmalade up to 2 weeks to set. You might wait that long before trying a rework.

If it still doesn't set, here's a rework that's published by the Cooperative Extension offices. I've used the version with powdered pectin 3 or4 times on jams that didn't set. It worked perfectly.

Rework Jam or Jelly

Measure jelly to be recooked. Work with no more
than 4 to 6 cups at a time.

To remake with powdered pectin:
For each quart of jelly, mix 1/4 cup sugar, 1/2 cup
water, 2 tablespoons bottled lemon juice, and 4
teaspoons powdered pectin. Bring to boil while
stirring. Add jelly and bring to a rolling boil over
high heat, stirring constantly. Boil hard 1/2 minute.
Remove from heat, quickly skim foam off jelly,
and fill sterile jars, leaving 1/4-inch headspace.
Adjust new lids and process as half-pints or pints
for 10 minutes in a boiling-water canner.

To remake with liquid pectin:
For each quart of jelly, measure 3/4 cup sugar, 2
tablespoons bottled lemon juice, and 2 tablespoons liquid pectin. Bring jelly only to boil over
high heat, while stirring. Remove from heat and
quickly add the sugar, lemon juice, and pectin.
Bring to a full rolling boil, stirring constantly.
Boil hard for 1 minute. Quickly skim off foam and
fill sterile jars, leaving 1/4-inch headspace. Adjust
new lids and process as half pints or pints for 10
minutes in a boiling-water canner.

I've been looking like crazy for chicken sales so I can chop up what I need for meals, get the bones for stock and the loose meat for canning. Of course, no one has whole chickens on sale right now!
lol.png

And all my hens are laying, and my roosters are being sweet... so no one needs to go here either!
lau.gif

Just my luck!

My weight for the canner came in last week and I'm trying so hard to find something to can and use the pressure gauge other then more jams.
hu.gif

Back
Top Bottom