What are you canning now?

Apples are not quite ripe yet here.
I did just finish canning the last of my peach jams last week. All told, I ended up with about 20 pints of peach and peach/raspberry jam. And a half bushel of peaches dehydrated or pureeed into fruit leather.

I've got to call around and try to FIND some apples to buy here! All my usual free suppliers didn't get any apples on their trees
hit.gif
Late frost and hungry squirels
rant.gif

Quote:
I wish you luck! I just got my box and I'm starting to clean and peel in a few so I can get these in my crockpots. (I ended up borrowing a couple so I can have 3 crockpots plugged in and going at once. Will make life so much easier!!!)

Quote:
I wish you luck! I just got my box and I'm starting to clean and peel in a few so I can get these in my crockpots. (I ended up borrowing a couple so I can have 3 crockpots plugged in and going at once. Will make life so much easier!!!)

This is interesting , what are you using the crockpots for?

We have plenty of Apples here. News said that there is a great crop but prices are still up a bit. Anyone here use "wild" apples? I know where there are some trees that aren't tended. Not sure what kind they are though. There is a vacant house with a grove of apple trees that I've seen deer and turkeys in .

Now I did up the "rubarb, pear and ginger jam today and it's not bad. DW said it was good and that it would be good on pound cake. Which is interesting because some recipes say just that. Or spice cake. I didn't get the "stem ginger" but will if I can get the time to drive over to the north side where there are more Asian shops. If not I may order it on line. I used the "crystalized ginger" and you can taste the ginger but I'm afraid it may have made it too sweet. I'm not sure. I didn't want to reduce the sugar in the recipe so I didn't. Perhaps I should have washed off the ginger first. I also added two teaspoons of pecitn as I don't think it set well when testing. I'm still not sure it did but we shall see when it cools.

I always get more than the recipe says. I don't know why. I doubled the recipe and got 2 pint jars and 8 8oz. jelly jars and one 4 oz. jar. The recipe says it makes 3 small jars. I'm not sure what they consider "small jars".

Tomorrow I hope to start the Eggplant preserves. This recipe calls for ginger too. The cooking time is not so bad it's the prep work and clean up.
lol.png

take care and happy canning.

rancher

I was up late last night canning muscadine sauce. I must have been really tired because I didn't even taste it before I sealed the jars!!
hmm.png
It smelled good though!

vfem - no one here likes apple butter, but maybe I can use the crockpot for apple sauce?

3 good eggs - thanks, I bookmarked too.

Did I mention I did the rubarb pear ginger jam yesterday?

Well today I did the Egg plant preserves. I just finished. I'll bet after it sets and the toasted sesame seeds and honey mix in there it will taste even better. It also has lemon zest and juice and ginger in it. I don't like egg plant but this is pretty good. It was alot of work though. Egg plants aren't easy to peel. Plus you have to let it sit with the sugar for 2 hours. 'Course there is always something to do around here.

I was thinking, dangerous I know, but....... with all the sugar in this stuff I'll bet you could make preserves out of anything. I had some left over mashed potatoes and had half a mind to throw them in there too.
gig.gif
Who would know?

Left over preserves a new recipe. Last nights meat loaf , tomorrows' preserves.

I guess there's nothing left to can until we get back from AL and I can get some apples. There are so many recipes for jams and jellies I could just do that til I'm dead. Of course Lord knows there is no end of people who will take it for free. I just wish they'd return the darn jars. Good garden o' peas!

When I get to AL I'm gonna squeeze those grandkids to death.
wee.gif

Rancher

Back
Top Bottom