what are you charging for a dozen?

creative.hortic

Chirping
12 Years
Oct 16, 2010
Seeing as we finally have eggs from our girls, i thought it would be neat to hear from all of you and see what the going rate is all over the country! i am in wisconsin and am planning on sharing the wealth of eggs with friends and family, and was wondering what to charge. I know we will never get out what we put into them!! (too much, says the husband!) But i am really curious to hear from other fellow chicken herders! thanks!

Here I sell mine for 2.00 dozen that is about the going rate. I have one lady at work that buys 6 dozen a week. I also hatch and sell the chicks. so far I have sold 33 chicks.

here where we are....chickens are laughed at!! everyone thought we were crazy to get them...and we live in the city, so that could be part of it......i was thinking i could get 4 dollars a dozen.....look at how expensive they are in the grocery store! free range eggs arent cheep....get it, cheep?
wink.png

Our weekly egg price support question!! Kind of like the daily crude oil report on CNBC.
smile.png

Entirely, 100%, Absolutely based on one's local area. $2.50 is my tops here for JUMBO, with $2 to neighbors being more common. With rising feed costs, the margins just keep shrinking. BTW, that low, WalMart type $1.29 price just cannot last forever, imho. Inflation is raging in all commodiies.

creative.hortic :

here where we are....chickens are laughed at!! everyone thought we were crazy to get them...and we live in the city, so that could be part of it......i was thinking i could get 4 dollars a dozen.....look at how expensive they are in the grocery store! free range eggs arent cheep....get it, cheep?
wink.png

Why are chickens laughed at? Well, I would laugh at those who are laughing.
gig.gif
How much you sell them for and what you can get for them will different in all areas. Our grocery stores sell eggs for $0.99, so that is not expensive. At the same time, you cant compare store bought eggs to farm fresh eggs. It doesn't compare. And you're right, farm fresh eggs are not cheap. Feed costs but some people dont get it. Try selling them for $4.00 a dozen and see if anyone buys them. If they buy them, then there you go. You can leave your price at $4.00. If not, then you may have to think about changing your price.​

Back
Top Bottom