Official BYC Poll: What Are You Doing to Protect Your Flock From Bird Flu (H5N1) Infection?

What Are You Doing to Protect Your Flock From Bird Flu (H5N1) Infection?

• I've covered the run with a tarp or solid roof stop poop from flying birds coming into the run

Votes: 76 31.0%
  • I've covered the run with netting to prevent wild birds from coming into the run

Votes: 60 24.5%
  • I've stopped putting out feed for wild birds

Votes: 95 38.8%
  • I've stopped free-ranging my poultry

Votes: 80 32.7%
  • I've made a new or temporary fenced area or run

Votes: 24 9.8%
  • I don't allow visitors near my chickens

Votes: 70 28.6%
  • I've temporarily stopped bringing in new chickens from elsewhere

• I keep the feeders and waterers clean and do not give wild birds access to these facilities

Votes: 113 46.1%
  • I thoroughly clean all equipment I use with my chickens (shovels, rakes, etc.)

Votes: 37 15.1%
  • I clean up spilled feed so as to not attract wild birds

Votes: 45 18.4%
  • I clean & disinfect the chicken coop thoroughly regularly

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • I have special clothing and shoes ready to use when handling my chickens only

Votes: 65 26.5%
  • I do not share equipment with or reuse equipment from other flocks

Votes: 96 39.2%
  • I've stopped reusing egg cartons from others who keep chickens

Votes: 38 15.5%
  • I've stopped going to chicken shows and auctions

Votes: 50 20.4%
  • Nothing

• Other (please elaborate in the comments section below)

Votes: 16 6.5%

• Total voters
Did it say what living conditions those people were living in? A dirt hut? with the chickens walk in and out of their dirt hut home?
Again, Las Vegas will not take odds on this happing in a developed country with good hygiene.
Mostly farmers get it, has not much to do with hygiene. More with contact with contaminated birds like with getting Covid and flu from other humans.

Predators and rats get it from eating raw contaminated meat.

Hello BYC friends, This has been my experience.
I have a hoop coop are from cattle panels it looks similarly to a small green house, We first covered th coop with clear plastic we fashioned it as tight as could be theni used bungee cords to keep the wind from blowing it away, I made their perch across the entire back,
then laid on straw, that little coop is warm and dry and made it through that horrible wind event with winds in excess of 80 mph.
I also wrapped it with an 18 in. apron of hardware cloth to keep the predators out.
So far they are very happy.
I don’t dare free range there lots of vermin and vermont’s ✌🏽🐥🐔
Looks neat and tidy. Mines a little janky at the moment 😬

Avian influenza (avian flu or bird flu) is a disease caused by infection with avian influenza type A viruses. These viruses spread naturally among wild waterfowl worldwide and can infect domestic poultry and other bird and animal species. Avian influenza viruses do not normally infect humans. However, sporadic infections of humans with avian influenza viruses have occurred.

With the current 2022 Bird Flu outbreak we would like to know: What Are You Doing to Protect Your Flock From Bird Flu (H5N1) Infection?

Place your votes above, and please share your thoughts in reply to this thread. :highfive:

View attachment 3074118

For regular updates on the 2022 Bird Flu outbreak, please visit the CDC or the USDA websites.

Further Reading:

(Check out more exciting Official BYC Polls HERE!)
It already swept through our flock. No birds leave or get added to that flock. Nor will they move from their current pens. We also will not be housing any chicks near or around that area until all of our current flock are gone.

It already swept through our flock. No birds leave or get added to that flock. Nor will they move from their current pens. We also will not be housing any chicks near or around that area until all of our current flock are gone.
Sorry for your losses. How many died en how many survived? .

Here you could get a huge fine not reporting suspicion of bord flu.
If one reports suspicion of bird flu, the authorities come to kill (gas) your flock. Afterwards they check if it was the bird flu. The normal vets have no permission to test in advance.

On the other hand. If your flock had the bird flu the surviving birds have a better resistance against a new contamination . They are cured now and don’t pass it on to other birds anymore. Bird flu does not behave like Marec.

The livestock association (for hobbyists) say the rules we have here are ridiculous now. Because it didn’t work to act this way. In the mean time all kind of wild birds get it and it won’t stop anymore. The wild bird population that were heavily infested seem to recover well in the laying season.
There is no prove that the rules for hobby poultry (avoid any contact with wild birds /keep confined) help to protect poultry in farming.
There are vaccins now and ways to vaccinate a whole flock in farms too with gasses that contain the vaccin. But the farmers association don’t want this because the rule for export don’t allow it.

Sorry for your losses. How many died en how many survived? .

Here you could get a huge fine not reporting suspicion of bord flu.
If one reports suspicion of bird flu, the authorities come to kill (gas) your flock. Afterwards they check if it was the bird flu. The normal vets have no permission to test in advance.

On the other hand. If your flock had the bird flu the surviving birds have a better resistance against a new contamination . They are cured now and don’t pass it on to other birds anymore. Bird flu does not behave like Marec.

The livestock association (for hobbyists) say the rules we have here are ridiculous now. Because it didn’t work to act this way. In the mean time all kind of wild birds get it and it won’t stop anymore. The wild bird population that were heavily infested seem to recover well in the laying season.
There is no prove that the rules for hobby poultry (avoid any contact with wild birds /keep confined) help to protect poultry in farming.
There are vaccins now and ways to vaccinate a whole flock in farms too with gasses that contain the vaccin. But the farmers association don’t want this because the rule for export don’t allow it.
Fifteen of my main flock, majority of our silkie lock. We went from 20 silkies, down to 6. 40 of the main flock down to 20. All in just 2 weeks. Honestly we didn't even know it was in our area until our birds started dieing off and we started trying to figure out why. Turns out, a bird we had taken in beforehand passed it from her flock. (Ironically, said bird is doing great herself) the flock is clear of it. But now we are having issues again,and turns out that the food we are feeding our birds may be the cause. Their getting all sorts of complaints from owners who's birds have started getting sick after putting their birds on that food.

Fifteen of my main flock, majority of our silkie lock. We went from 20 silkies, down to 6. 40 of the main flock down to 20. All in just 2 weeks. Honestly we didn't even know it was in our area until our birds started dieing off and we started trying to figure out why. Turns out, a bird we had taken in beforehand passed it from her flock. (Ironically, said bird is doing great herself) the flock is clear of it. But now we are having issues again,and turns out that the food we are feeding our birds may be the cause. Their getting all sorts of complaints from owners who's birds have started getting sick after putting their birds on that food.
How do you know it was the bird flu? Did you get a necropsy?

Sorry for the possible feed issues now!!

How do you know it was the bird flu? Did you get a necropsy?

Sorry for the possible feed issues now!!
Yes. Both mine and the birds from the newer birds original flock got tested.

Dumor is getting tons of complaints. Had no issues before we gave them that feed again. And now we have sudden unexplained deaths again. We stopped the dumor again and won't be trying it again if we can help it. Now they get a food that actually smells like food. It smells kinda like pizza spices to me.

Yes. Both mine and the birds from the newer birds original flock got tested.

Dumor is getting tons of complaints. Had no issues before we gave them that feed again. And now we have sudden unexplained deaths again. We stopped the dumor again and won't be trying it again if we can help it. Now they get a food that actually smells like food. It smells kinda like pizza spices to me.
Wow. I feel like I’d want to breed those birds that survived! I’m trying this with Marek’s like the Amish do around me.

Ugh, I’m so sorry. Hoping this new feed stops all your problems!!

Where do you live? Just curious.

Back
Top Bottom