What are your best practices fir Ducks in Winter?

You can put a foundation sealer on your cement to stop moisture intrusion. My ducks are pretty tough, here they are hanging out in the fresh snow.

Thank you for the pics. My ducks too are unfazed by the snow, except the first day they discovered ice on the pond. It was a very thin layer of ice floating on the water. They started fussing when they saw it, then the first one hit the water and looked like she bounced another foit. She scrambled out and all 13 walked back and forth in a tightly nigt group making a big fuss. It was comical. They then all jumped in.
I raced downstairs in the morning after the temps dropped to 10 degrees to find them anxious to get in the pond. They jumped in like it was a summer day.
But I was concerned at night, sitting on wet frozen hay.
They are small Indian Runner ducks.
So far they are doing welk.

Attachments

• 0922D963-EECE-4ED3-BC3B-236113D0BDD8.jpeg
    0922D963-EECE-4ED3-BC3B-236113D0BDD8.jpeg
    431.7 KB · Views: 1
  • 558814A9-F05E-456D-BB49-FCCE4197E5EB.jpeg
    558814A9-F05E-456D-BB49-FCCE4197E5EB.jpeg
    525.9 KB · Views: 1
Thank you for the pics. My ducks too are unfazed by the snow, except the first day they discovered ice on the pond. It was a very thin layer of ice floating on the water. They started fussing when they saw it, then the first one hit the water and looked like she bounced another foit. She scrambled out and all 13 walked back and forth in a tightly nigt group making a big fuss. It was comical. They then all jumped in.
I raced downstairs in the morning after the temps dropped to 10 degrees to find them anxious to get in the pond. They jumped in like it was a summer day.
But I was concerned at night, sitting on wet frozen hay.
They are small Indian Runner ducks.
So far they are doing well.

Great idea to use a foundation sealer. It’ll be easier to clean too.
That will be a spring project.

I use straw as well and I think I have found a good balance

I have a large pen 20 ft by 20 ft

In one corner I have 2 pools for them to wash and play in. That corner has a minimum of straw but is mostly midi dug a small trench (more of a small depression in the ground, that Keeps any excess water over there.

The rest of the pen I deep litter with straw and, when it doesn’t rain too much, it stays pretty dry

Back
Top Bottom