What are your chickens' favourite treats?

chickenbaguette

Songster
8 Years
Jul 2, 2011
What are your chickens' favourite treats?
big_smile.png

well naturally those $6 a bag dried meal worms! Followed by live bugs, lettuce, watermelon, sweet corn, shredded carrots and anything that I am eating such as hamburgers, hot dogs and fried chicken. I didn't give them the fried chicken, I bought a box of KFC, put it on the picnic table, went inside for two minutes and came out to a party. Chicken gone. To the bone.

Last edited:
Oh boy...where to start!?

Raisins, rolled oats, yogurt (especially fruit ones), cottage cheese, peanuts, cooked eggs, prunes, worms, garden grubs, crickets, superworms, watermelon, corn on the cob, grapes, flowers, box elder beetles...

hu.gif

Still being a newbie to this, I have been trying all sorts of things and so far have found that they loved the leftover prime rib I had at Christmas.....these girls have expensive taste! They won't be getting it anytime in the near future given the price!
The most popular items other than that, are cheese and tomatoes.

Insects, worms or larvae, including mealworms and zapped mosquitoes.

Hulled sunflower seeds.

Ripe berries, especially blueberries that they jump up to pick.

Grass and dark leafy greens.

All other food.
big_smile.png

Mine seem to relish worms and baby mice. I have uncovered three mouse nests in the garage over the past two years and rather than leaving the pinkies in the nest to possibly freeze to death (not to mention multiply) I put them in the chicken feeder and quickly walk away. I know it seems cruel, and if we didn't have such a huge mouse problem I would probably be inclined to "bottle feed" those baby mice in order to rescue them. But feeding them to the chickens is quick and carries on the cycle of life. It also means I don't have to set poison baits or traps that might catch a cat's or child's attention.

Back
Top Bottom