What Are Your Chickens Named After?

HappyClucker7

Crowing
Apr 28, 2016
New York
Most of my hens have names that have to do with their color or appearance, but there are a few exceptions.
-I have Rocky, the BA. There is no particular reason behind her name. My then-4-year-old nephew wanted to name her that.
-I had Peppa, also a BA. That name just suited her. IDK why.
-I had Penny, an RIR. She got her name because of her red color.
-I have Maisie, also an RIR. I named her after a big red hen in a book I used to love as a kid.
-I had Oreo, a BR. She got her name because of her color.
-Then I have Marble, also a BR, who got her name from her color too.
-I have two cochin bantams, named Mango and Papaya. They got their names because I thought they were going to be buff, but they are actually either splashed or mottled. They have some buff in them though, so I guess the names still work. :)
-I have an EE named Bunny, because she's an Easter Egger.
-I have another EE named Cheeks because she is extremely cheeky and she has muffs.

Last edited:

MrFluffyandGirls

Songster
Dec 30, 2018
SC, Low Country
My silkies I give "ie" names: Fluffie,Birdie,Yukie, Minkie, Smokie, Blackie, Brownie etc.

I had a few production hens with my grandma names: Bessie, Hattie,Mamie (I did not think about it but they are "ie" names to!! :lol:

My two Isa browns are Thelma and Louise ( Not to original)

My 5 leghorns I have not named. I intended to name them after white things like Snowball, Cotton, Daisy, Sugar, Salt but I could not really tell them apart so I never got around to it. Maybe since they are grown and I cant see differences I should name the poor dears that I've just been calling the new white chicks. :D🐓

black_cat

Free Ranging
May 21, 2020
Connecticut
I don't have any themes but my one bird that is named 'after' someone/thing is Ruth Bader Chicksburg, named after the amazing Ruth Bader Ginsburg, may she rest in peace. Ruth was named for the white feathers around her neck that looked like a lacey collar.
My others aren't as good (Tillie, Poppy, and Round Chicken) but I'm hopefully getting more and would like to name one Snoof. We would be getting a splash marans and my brother would like to name it Camo, as in Camouflage because he thinks that the feathers look like that. Some other names I like for chickens are Pants, Socks, Kalamari, Floof, Minty, and Snowball.

Top Bottom