What are your five favorite breeds and why

Pics
I need a squirrel chasing RIR. :lau

I loved my RIR girls. I guess to be accurate, they were hatchery birds so not SOP but they were terrific. Always kind of bugs me that they have a bad rep. One of mine was the queen of the coop but not in a mean way, she just made sure everyone knew to get along. The other was my special little handicapped girl, a real sweetheart and DH's favorite.

I loved my RIR girls. I guess to be accurate, they were hatchery birds so not SOP but they were terrific. Always kind of bugs me that they have a bad rep. One of mine was the queen of the coop but not in a mean way, she just made sure everyone knew to get along. The other was my special little handicapped girl, a real sweetheart and DH's favorite.
This is good to hear. I'm planning on trying some hatchery RIR this next year just to see if it is the birds or not. I think it's just another breed that doesn't do well in smaller set ups or being confined too much.

This is good to hear. I'm planning on trying some hatchery RIR this next year just to see if it is the birds or not. I think it's just another breed that doesn't do well in smaller set ups or being confined too much.

You could be right about the small set ups/too much confinement. They do like to strut their stuff and are pretty independent! But you have loads of room, right? Looked like to me anyway when I've seen your photos.

You could be right about the small set ups/too much confinement. They do like to strut their stuff and are pretty independent! But you have loads of room, right? Looked like to me anyway when I've seen your photos.
Yep, I have a big 40x40 shed and they can come and go as they please as I have no run on that shed, so many breeds that people say are aggressive aren't here. So far I haven't found anyone to be aggressive. There's a few older crabby lady hens, but nothing to take note of, I'm probably one of them. :)

Yep, I have a big 40x40 shed and they can come and go as they please as I have no run on that shed, so many breeds that people say are aggressive aren't here. So far I haven't found anyone to be aggressive. There's a few older crabby lady hens, but nothing to take note of, I'm probably one of them. :)

"older crabby hens" :lau I like that! (And guess I'll just fit myself right into that category too :cool:)

1. Australorp
There is just something about Australorps that I love. They are so friendly, lay beautiful brown eggs, and they're more like a lapdog than a chicken! For a bonus they have nice looking plumage.

2. Buff Orpington
BO's are very sweet birds, make very good broodies, love to be held; and have such fluffy, shiny plumage.

3. Easter Egger
On top of laying all sorts of colored eggs, EE's are friendly and I love their ear muffs and beards!

4. Leghorn
They're my best layers, don't need much feed because their foraging skills are great; and they are very fast molters! I'm not sure about other chicken keepers who keep Leghorns, but mine are extremely friendly!

5. Black Sex Link
I've kept many BSL's in my 5 years of chicken keeping, and they have been my most consistent layers. Plus they live so much longer than my Red Sex Links! My BSL's usually live 8 to 10 years. My oldest living BSL is 11. They'll literally lay up until their dying day! ;)

1. Australorp
There is just something about Australorps that I love. They are so friendly, lay beautiful brown eggs, and they're more like a lapdog than a chicken! For a bonus they have nice looking plumage.

2. Buff Orpington
BO's are very sweet birds, make very good broodies, love to be held; and have such fluffy, shiny plumage.

3. Easter Egger
On top of laying all sorts of colored eggs, EE's are friendly and I love their ear muffs and beards!

4. Leghorn
They're my best layers, don't need much feed because their foraging skills are great; and they are very fast molters! I'm not sure about other chicken keepers who keep Leghorns, but mine are extremely friendly!

5. Black Sex Link
I've kept many BSL's in my 5 years of chicken keeping, and they have been my most consistent layers. Plus they live so much longer than my Red Sex Links! My BSL's usually live 8 to 10 years. My oldest living BSL is 11. They'll literally lay up until their dying day! ;)
You have a very productive list. You like chickens with good work ethics. :)

Gosh darn it only 5 breed!!! Hmm well recently we bought a surprise box from cackle hatchery full of beautiful breeds. I have gotten quite found of a lot of them. We have always raised RIRs. So here goes nothing.

1. My trusty RIRs ofc. They are friendly and spunky, with a bit of sassy. Amazing layers and very people friendly.

2. My lone silkie. So omg this silkie holds her own, she isn't aggressive but doesn't take crap when the others test her. She is such a furball of fun and she acts like my little guard dog when im outside.

3. Ameraucanas. So in this surprise we box we got two lavender ones. omg lucky for us its a mating pair so more babies!!! But their cute little fluffy cheeks. And long legs. These birds are amazing.

4. Polish. Ok so my babies are a bit whacky and loud at times but I love them all. I got 10 total, 6 which are cockerels. I am in love with the difference in all their personalities and colors.

5. My ducks!!! ok ok I know most of yall aren't duck fans but omg I am in love with mine. I have one beautiful silver Appleyard, one flashy welsh harliquinn and 3 chocolate muscoveys. I love the fact they are quick to be the first to greet me in the monrning with their harmonious noise.

so as you see those are my top 5 but man there are so many I love. cant wait till they are all of laying age to see what eggs we can have...

Back
Top Bottom