What are your frugal and sustainable tips and tricks?

It's being a wise shopper.

When inflation is high it makes sense to stock up on an item because it will cost more the next time you need it. When the last spare is opened (such as the last case of toilet paper) we buy another, so we don't run out.

For those of you who have dollar general stores, I shop on Saturday to get basic household needs like paper towels, toilet paper, and toiletries/cleaning supplies. Every Sat they release a digital $5 off of $25 coupon, which comes off with other digital coupons. When paper towels and toilet paper are on sale, I will stock up on a few packs. Same with any of our other needs. The coupon essentially takes 20% off each item once you are at $25. With prices rising, we try to watch for sale and coupon stack items and take advantage when we can.

For those of you who have dollar general stores, I shop on Saturday to get basic household needs like paper towels, toilet paper, and toiletries/cleaning supplies. Every Sat they release a digital $5 off of $25 coupon, which comes off with other digital coupons.

We recently got a Dollar General Store in town. I did not know about any digital coupons. Did you sign up for email notices or something like that? Sounds like a good deal to stock on supplies and save a bit of money.

We recently got a Dollar General Store in town. I did not know about any digital coupons. Did you sign up for email notices or something like that? Sounds like a good deal to stock on supplies and save a bit of money.
There is an app. I believe you can also create an online account on the computer. Each week, log in, clip the coupons you would like, and at the register you enter your phone number and the coupons come off when you pay. Sometimes you get lucky and a $5 coupon will print on your receipt as well. (Cant use them together, but my husband and I will do 2 $25 orders sometimes if we have a lot of needs that week or if there is a very good sale one something useful.)

I just get the coupon on the receipt. Of all the dollar stores Dollar General is my favorite.

Of all the dollar stores Dollar General is my favorite.

That's good to know. I'll have to check it out next time I head to town. I have been buying stuff at our Dollar Tree store for years, but less now that everything went up to $1.25. Well, that and many of their products had quantity reductions at the same time.

For example, I used to buy those Asian Spring Rolls that sold a 10 pack for $1.00. Now they cost $1.25 for 8. Same product, just less in the package and you get to pay more. :p

I'm just saying that if they wanted to hike the price of their products to $1.25, they could have had at least kept the quantity the same. The good deals I used to routinely purchase at the Dollar Tree are no longer the best deals in town. For things I buy, it's often less expensive now at WalMart or Menards.

Anyways, the new Dollar General is only a nice bike ride away from where I live - about 4-1/2 miles - so I will have to check it out. And I will look into those coupons as well that you guys mentioned. Thanks.

That's good to know. I'll have to check it out next time I head to town. I have been buying stuff at our Dollar Tree store for years, but less now that everything went up to $1.25. Well, that and many of their products had quantity reductions at the same time.

For example, I used to buy those Asian Spring Rolls that sold a 10 pack for $1.00. Now they cost $1.25 for 8. Same product, just less in the package and you get to pay more. :p

I'm just saying that if they wanted to hike the price of their products to $1.25, they could have had at least kept the quantity the same. The good deals I used to routinely purchase at the Dollar Tree are no longer the best deals in town. For things I buy, it's often less expensive now at WalMart or Menards.

Anyways, the new Dollar General is only a nice bike ride away from where I live - about 4-1/2 miles - so I will have to check it out. And I will look into those coupons as well that you guys mentioned. Thanks.
Just to warn you…dollar general is not an all for $1 store. They have regular prices on most things but their brands are cheaper. Paper towel 6 pack often $5 so $4 with $5/$25, laundry detergent and cleaning supplies are lower than most stores, and they have good sale items. It’s the coupon that makes it a great deal.

Just to warn you…dollar general is not an all for $1 store. They have regular prices on most things but their brands are cheaper. Paper towel 6 pack often $5 so $4 with $5/$25, laundry detergent and cleaning supplies are lower than most stores, and they have good sale items. It’s the coupon that makes it a great deal.

I stopped into our Dollar General yesterday on the way back home. They have lots of stuff. I bought some small candy/snack packs for $1.00 each and got a 4-pack of toilet paper for $1.00.

The store is much bigger than I thought, so I only had time to look at maybe 1/4 of the stuff before I had to go. I'll have to go back there to check it some more.

A lot of the items are rounded to the dollar, so I don't know if that is a good deal or not on items I don't normally buy. Dear Wife does most of the shopping for household supplies. So, I don't know the value of them compared to WalMart, for example.

I did get 2 coupons for $5.00 off a $25.00 purchase, so I hope to find items there that I can add to my list to take advantage of those coupons. Thanks for the suggestion about Dollar General.

I found this pack of 30 foam trays at the Dollar General. They're roughly 6.5" x 8.5". I used them as drip trays for the seedlings I'm growing out for my garden. And I just used one as a dish for my lunch sandwich.

For better quality foam trays I wash the trays that meat from the grocery store is packaged on. Some of those are really solid.

IMG_3409.JPG

⚠️ Harbor Freight Rental Program?

On a different thread, @Smokerbill and I were discussing the 20% restocking fee on some return items from Harbor Freight. This is true. Lots of people "buy" an item at Harbor Freight, use it a short time for a one-time project, and then return the item. They might get hit with that 20% restocking fee, but they just consider it the cost of a rental.

Harbor Freight does not discourage this practice. They charge the customer with that 20% restocking fee but then put that item out on a shelf as an open box item and discount it 10%. So, HF still comes out ahead.

If you only need a specific tool for a single project, it might be worth your while to check out getting the tool and returning it to HF on their not-so-secret rental program.

I typically buy a tool to keep. I have not personally brought back any tools from HF and paid that 20% restocking fee.

I have purchased a few open box items from Harbor Freight for that 10% discount. You can save a little money that way. But you have to be careful on those deals. Those open box items typically are sold "as-is" and only come with a 5 day return period if the tool does not work. Ask for sure on the warranty/return conditions before you buy.

I have passed on some open box items and paid an extra couple of bucks for a new one because most new items have a 90-day return/exchange period. That's much better than a 5-day warranty.

Well, that's a few ways to potentially save some money at Harbor Freight. If anyone knows those insider deals at other stores, please share how you can save money there as well.

Back
Top Bottom