What are your frugal and sustainable tips and tricks?

Pics
I am currently down with a cold so I thought I’d share another frugal/sustainable thing I’ve found helpful. This may sound suuuper gross, but I like to use handkerchiefs. I have a collection from my grandmother with nice embroidery. Just a little wash in the sink puts them back into use quickly at the end of the day. It’s nice to not use a whole box of Kleenex and handkerchiefs dry more quickly. At first - a few years ago - I thought it would be gross, but it is actually softer on the nose and they don’t fall apart. Much less gross in my opinion!

I am currently down with a cold so I thought I’d share another frugal/sustainable thing I’ve found helpful. This may sound suuuper gross, but I like to use handkerchiefs. I have a collection from my grandmother with nice embroidery. Just a little wash in the sink puts them back into use quickly at the end of the day. It’s nice to not use a whole box of Kleenex and handkerchiefs dry more quickly. At first - a few years ago - I thought it would be gross, but it is actually softer on the nose and they don’t fall apart. Much less gross in my opinion!

My grandfather always used handkerchiefs, as well as my father. Back in those days, they took a weekly bath on Saturday night if they needed it or not. I grew up taking a shower daily, if not 2 or 3 times a day when I was in sports. I never used handkerchiefs because I grew up with Kleenex. The idea of using handkerchiefs does not appeal to me.

:lau Having said that, sometime in the near future, our great grandchildren will all be using the 3 sea shells for bathroom hygiene as described in that great movie Demolition Man (1993).

R.8f9a73cca375aec371621e81dc0830b1

OK. That's what I call a PVC 5 gallon feeder. I made my own to reduce/prevent spillage of feed. Works really well. I never heard them called pigeon proof feeders. But it's the same design I use and like.
If I put mine on a cement block my chickens can eat, but the pigeons are too short and/or their necks are too short so they can’t reach the feed so it’s pigeon proof here lol.

Five gallon buckets are so useful!

If I put mine on a cement block my chickens can eat, but the pigeons are too short and/or their necks are too short so they can’t reach the feed so it’s pigeon proof here lol.

I hang my PVC 5-gallon bucket feeder so that the PVC opening is about the level of my chickens' back. Seems to cut down on the amount of feed spilled on the floor.

Five gallon buckets are so useful!

Yes. And keeping in line with this frugal thread, I am always looking out for sales that have those 5-gallon buckets in them. For example, our Harbor Freight has had weekend sales that you get a free 5-gallon bucket with a minimum purchase of around $15.00. Our Fleet store periodically has a sale on the 5-gallon bucket at about half price plus you get 10% off (almost) anything that fits into the bucket.

The frugal part is being able to write down supplies that you need, or will need, and waiting for those bucket sales to come around and then taking advantage of sale. I am a total sucker for getting a free 5-gallon bucket when I just buy things I would normally need. It makes my day!

:lau I guess it does not take much to make me happy!? :idunno

FYI, a 5-gallon bucket holds just over half a 50# bag of feed. When I open a bag of feed, I need to put it into a container to keep the mice out. Those 5-gallon buckets, with a good lid, are great to store feed.

For the past 3 years, I have been storing all my dry feed in plastic garbage cans with lids. That has worked out great for me. But around Christmas time I got pretty sick and I struggled to lift even a 50# bag. So, more or less out of necessity, I started scooping the feed into a couple of my empty 5-gallon buckets and that's when I discovered a full 50# bag of chicken feed easily fits into two 5-gallon buckets.

Much easier to lift a 25# 5-gallon bucket of feed than the entire 50# bag of feed itself. Plus, an additional bonus, the 5-gallon buckets stack really nice, so they take up less room in my garage. About half the room of my plastic garbage cans. So, I am now in the process of storing my dry feed in those 5-gallon buckets. I got my chicken scratch and cracked corn in 5-gallon buckets and will be moving my chicken feed to 5-gallon buckets when I get a new bag. My plastic garbage cans will go into storage in a shed in case I need them in the future.

I hang my PVC 5-gallon bucket feeder so that the PVC opening is about the level of my chickens' back. Seems to cut down on the amount of feed spilled on the floor.

Yes. And keeping in line with this frugal thread, I am always looking out for sales that have those 5-gallon buckets in them. For example, our Harbor Freight has had weekend sales that you get a free 5-gallon bucket with a minimum purchase of around $15.00. Our Fleet store periodically has a sale on the 5-gallon bucket at about half price plus you get 10% off (almost) anything that fits into the bucket.

The frugal part is being able to write down supplies that you need, or will need, and waiting for those bucket sales to come around and then taking advantage of sale. I am a total sucker for getting a free 5-gallon bucket when I just buy things I would normally need. It makes my day!

:lau I guess it does not take much to make me happy!? :idunno

FYI, a 5-gallon bucket holds just over half a 50# bag of feed. When I open a bag of feed, I need to put it into a container to keep the mice out. Those 5-gallon buckets, with a good lid, are great to store feed.

For the past 3 years, I have been storing all my dry feed in plastic garbage cans with lids. That has worked out great for me. But around Christmas time I got pretty sick and I struggled to lift even a 50# bag. So, more or less out of necessity, I started scooping the feed into a couple of my empty 5-gallon buckets and that's when I discovered a full 50# bag of chicken feed easily fits into two 5-gallon buckets.

Much easier to lift a 25# 5-gallon bucket of feed than the entire 50# bag of feed itself. Plus, an additional bonus, the 5-gallon buckets stack really nice, so they take up less room in my garage. About half the room of my plastic garbage cans. So, I am now in the process of storing my dry feed in those 5-gallon buckets. I got my chicken scratch and cracked corn in 5-gallon buckets and will be moving my chicken feed to 5-gallon buckets when I get a new bag. My plastic garbage cans will go into storage in a shed in case I need them in the future.
I’ll have to keep an eye out for a sale at Harbor Freight like that, thanks for the tip! I have a couple 5 gallon buckets that we attached water cups to. It’s super convenient to go out in summer and plop in a big chunk of ice to cool the water. I’ve been after hubs to help me with a feeder but he’s been working a lot so it hasn’t happened yet. If I do it myself then he gets upset :idunno

I’ll have to keep an eye out for a sale at Harbor Freight like that, thanks for the tip!

I don't live in town, but somehow, I managed to get about 4 or 5 Harbor Freight 5-gallon buckets this past year on their weekend sales. I only go into town maybe once a week. If I lived in town, I would probably go on each day of the bucket sale and pick up a free bucket with supplies I need. Unfortunately, my old Ford Explorer is only getting 13 mpg so it costs me about $8 round trip just to drive in town and back home. Not going to make a special trip in town to get a $5.00 bucket for free, if you know what I mean. That would not be frugal.

Those 5-gallon buckets are also used a lot in gardening. Lots of YouTube videos on making them into self-watering containers for your plants. Never tried it myself, but looks like a good idea.

Back
Top Bottom