What are your frugal and sustainable tips and tricks?

Pics
Winter here in northern Minnesota can get pretty cold. When the temps drop down well below freezing, I often get some frozen, cracked eggs when I gather them up. When we hit those -35F temps in the dead of winter, the fresh egg will be frozen and cracked in no time at all.

49659881926_dea7a33b12_b.jpg

Since the eggshell is cracked, you are on a limited time to cook up that egg before bacteria sets in a turns the egg bad. On top of that, in my experience, a frozen egg has a different texture once thawed out than an egg that was never frozen. In other words, the yolk, in particular, changes into some kind of semi-solid substance much like a hard boiled egg.

So, here is my frugal suggestion to "save" those eggs if you can't eat them all at once.

My goal was to hard boil the frozen eggs so that they would keep in the refrigerator for about a week. But you can't put a cracked egg into boiling water because the egg white will leak out and get all over inside the water.

Yesterday, I was in our local church Thrift shop and came upon a set of Egglettes...

97f92842-696b-4ae0-a342-51bd835c52bf_1.d9e996640534688fde23a8a53d43833d.jpeg

The set I got retails for $18.00 online, but I got it for 75 cents at the Thrift Store. I guess that is a frugal purchase if they work.

What I like about them is that you can take the cracked egg and put the egg into one of these Egglettes and then boil them in water. I did that this morning and it came out pretty good. They do have a different shape, oval on one side but flat on the other.

R.30cf74f9623dd319075a5311ab00c2fa

Frankly, if the eggshell was not cracked, I'm not all that convinced that using the Egglettes is worth the extra effort in terms of cleaning the egg units. But I am dealing with already cracked eggshells so it worked out good for me.

Another bonus worth mentioning is that often times, with fresh eggs from the chickens, a hard boiled egg is hard to peel without making a mess of the egg. This is because a fresh egg hard boiled is more likely to stick to the shell when you peel it. You would have more luck hard boiling and peeling an egg that was not as fresh, as the air pocket inside the egg has more time to expand, which results in an easier egg to peel. Using these Egglettes, you don't have that problem at all and they come out "perfect" every time.

Well, just felt I had to mention this system because last week we had more than half a dozen, fresh, frozen, crack eggs in the refrigerator and we ended up making scrambled eggs for supper. I like the idea of using these Egglettes to make hard boiled eggs instead. For only 75 cents, it was worth a try. I'll put the Egglette set away and use it the next time we have too many frozen, cracked eggs in the fridge and need to cook them up before they go bad.

⚠️ If I get an egg that is cracked and soiled in any way, then I just cook it up, cut it up, and feed it back to the chickens next time I go out to the coop. We keep a "chicken bucket" by our kitchen sink and put in our peeling, leftovers, etc... in that pail for the chickens. The chickens love our kitchen scraps and leftovers. You paid for all that food, so no need to waste any part of it. What the chickens don't eat will just end up getting composted.

cracked-eggshell-under-sunlight-many-cracked-eggshell-under-sunlight-111080808.jpg

Speaking of eggs, don't throw those empty eggshells into the garbage. I keep my eggshells in an empty bread bag and every so often I smash up the eggshells into tiny pieces. I then put the eggshells pieces into a supplemental feeder I have for calcium. The chickens will eat the eggshells if they need extra calcium in their diet. Much like grit, which I also have available to them in another separate feeder.

Another good use for those eggshells is to crush them up and mix them into the garden soil. Over time, they release the calcium into the soil and that is supposed to be good for the plants.

I have seen some people put eggshells into a jar of water and then use that water for their plants.

If nothing else, just put the eggshells into the compost pile. But, please, don't throw them away. If anyone has more uses for eggshells, let me know.

Last edited:
. You only get one body. Think of it as your high performance Maserati.
Yes, one body to last you all your life!
I loved sunshine and didn't wear sunglasses and thus recently ended up with early cataract surgery - thank you to people on here who advised and encouraged me in avoiding risks.
I have started going to a Senior Citizen's cooking class that is held once a month. I try to help out and prepare one or two evening dinner meals every week.
Have you tried making junket? Take a pint of milk, add a teaspoon (5ml) or rennet, warm to 30-40 C (just below body temperature) and keep it sort of lukewarm until it sets. You can get rennet online or in health food shops. It needs sweetening with sugar, honey, jam or whatever, as you would for yoghurt, and makes a nice light dessert.

I just found this thread so have not read the whole thing but here's one thing we do. We have big plastic trash cans set up to catch rain water. We bring it inside in smaller buckets (empty kitter litter containers, so that's two) and use it to water plants and the animals. They really like it; prefer it, in fact, to our softened well water, as we have given them the choice.

In this unusual warm weather we've been having, I've seen bees desperately trying to help themselves to the chicken feed crumbles. They're rolling around in it and trying to pick it up and carry it away. What to do? I googled. Sugar water doesn't provide the proper nutrients. What they really need is ... HONEY! Well, I had a big quart jar of unpasteurized honey that had crystalled. So I took it outside and laid it on its side on top of a small shed. They love it! It was covered with bees, buzzing happily. Got to save these pollinators, right?

Have you tried making junket? Take a pint of milk, add a teaspoon (5ml) or rennet, warm to 30-40 C (just below body temperature) and keep it sort of lukewarm until it sets. You can get rennet online or in health food shops. It needs sweetening with sugar, honey, jam or whatever, as you would for yoghurt, and makes a nice light dessert.

Thanks. I'll check into it.

What a great idea! I tried the tp rolls stuffed with dryer lint for fire starters, but we just don’t really need fire starters.

I’ll do this instead!

That still leads me to try to use my lint for something… I’ve heard paper?
You can put your dyer lint in your compost. TP /paper, towel, wrapping paper and any other paper roll make great fire starters for your wood stove. They are also good for protecting young plants from wind damage.

Back
Top Bottom