What are your frugal and sustainable tips and tricks?

Pics
I checked into total house solar systems, but where I live, the payback was something like 25 years at the time. And, IIRC, the solar systems were not able to provide enough power to heat my house and I would still have to heat with another system. So, I had to take a pass on that idea.

Of course, where you live, makes all the difference in the world in what options you have. Recently, I watched a YouTube video where a guy, who had a whole house solar system, was advocating most people would be better off with a grid system that recharged the house batteries and a gas/diesel generator for times when electricity was not available. In his setup, he could run his house off batteries for 2-3 days. With even some small solar panels, he could extend that out another 1-2 days. If the grid electricity was still down after that, he could recharge his house batteries using his generator for about 2 hours per day. He calculated that running the generator for 2 hours per day would cost him about $25 per week to charge up his house batteries to run his essentials.

He called that system a "grid-down" setup, which would only cost about $5,000.00 compared to his whole house solar system that he spent something like $95,000.00 if I remember correctly. His rationale was that chances are most people are not going to lose grid power longer than a few days, maybe a few weeks if hit by a big storm, but the advantages of a "grid-down" system was that your initial investment is a fraction of a whole house solar setup and your payback period was a few years, compared to 20 years with the whole house solar system he bought.

I have lived in my house for 30+ years. The longest power out period we have experienced was about 8 hours one summer day. I don't know what happened that time, but most of our power interruptions are more like only a couple of minutes. I have all my computers plugged into UPS battery backups, and I can only remember once in the last 5 years where I actually had to shut down the computers before the batteries were depleted. We have reliable electric service where I live.
We installed our solar system about 7-9? years ago. Somewhere around there. At that time we figured out that it'd take us 10 years to save enough to pay for itself. So it's close to having paid itself off. It's been long enough I can't remember all the deals we got but there were federal and state incentive programs in place that gave us back a good deal of the costs. We did look at a battery set up back then since we do get a lot of power outs, but decided the cost wasn't worth it. We got a generator instead and some rechargeable emergency lights. I'd love to have a battery system just for the convenience during those power outs, but can't say I regret what we do have.

For us our big power use is in the summer. We turn ac off at night and set the temp between 80-84 during the day. We also have zoned heating/ac. So we have two central air units on our roof...one for each side and we close off half the house during the day so only need to run one unit. And in winter we almost never run the heater. Never over night or during the day...but occasionally around dinner time until bedtime. Anyhow...even with solar, we try to keep our use down. But I'm o so glad we installed it or I know we'd be even more frugal... and I do get tired of sweating 🥵
Consider a french press. I got one after my 2nd coffee maker in 3 years broke and I was fed up. Has a built in mesh filter and makes even cheap crap coffee taste great. Cheaper than a coffee maker too. The mesh top filter can even be used to froth milk if you like fancy coffee sometimes. Downsides are that you need to boil water in a kettle separately and pour it in yourself and time the steep yourself. And you can't just prep and have your coffee started for you in the morning or just press a button. But it's as easy as a water boil, a 40+ second cooldown, mix, and 4-minute steep. I use the built in timer on my stove. No more filters PLUS no more bitter coffee.
I've used French presses and just found I like the pour over best. Gives a very clean coffee with no particles in it, and I can use slightly cooler water for less acidity. Think most coffee makers use 190 something water... I think 176 is perfect. Takes about the same time as a French press and wonderful flavor.

We did look at a battery set up back then since we do get a lot of power outs, but decided the cost wasn't worth it. We got a generator instead and some rechargeable emergency lights. I'd love to have a battery system just for the convenience during those power outs, but can't say I regret what we do have.

I don't mean to berate anyone who has invested in a whole house solar setup. I was just interested in that guy's opinion that most people would be better off with a battery backup and a generator for longer grid-down periods. The battery system he was talking about were not those $11,000+ Tesla Power Walls. He was talking about a much smaller battery backup system for essential loads only.

I was able to find the YouTube video that I thought was interesting in considering grid down versus off-grid power solutions. It is a prepper type of video and he sells some of the products at the end mentioned in his video. In the spirit of being frugal and self sustainable, I'll offer the link to the video here for your consideration, or not.

I don't mean to berate anyone who has invested in a whole house solar setup. I was just interested in that guy's opinion that most people would be better off with a battery backup and a generator for longer grid-down periods. The battery system he was talking about were not those $11,000+ Tesla Power Walls. He was talking about a much smaller battery backup system for essential loads only.

I was able to find the YouTube video that I thought was interesting in considering grid down versus off-grid power solutions. It is a prepper type of video and he sells some of the products at the end mentioned in his video. In the spirit of being frugal and self sustainable, I'll offer the link to the video here for your consideration, or not.
I like the basic idea. Most people don't really need off-grid power. They need something to get them through power outages- whether for a few hours or multiple days. It is possible to build a cheaper DIY version of that setup with marine deep cycle batteries, but that looks like a nicely pre-packaged setup.

I live in northern Minnesota. One of our main expenses in owning a house is heating it in the winter months. When I built my new house, I checked into the options I had for heating. Off-Peak electricity was the least expensive option for heating where I live. But, as I said, you are required to have a backup system to any main Off-Peak system. So, I had a dual source furnace (electric and propane) installed. For the past 20 years, I have mainly been heating the house with Off-Peak electric as it has been cheaper than heating with propane. My furnace is set to heat with Off-Peak electric, and, if for some reason, the electric company turns off the Off-Peak power, then my furnace automatically switches over to propane heat.

I cannot remember how much it cost to install a dual source furnane compared to just a propane furnace, but IIRC, there was not much a difference that was not made up in the savings of using Off-Peak heat perhaps even in the first or second year.

Which is why I also mentioned that you can buy those 240v in wall heaters and have them run off Off-Peak electricity at the same rate as my main furnace. If your electric company offers an Off-Peak electric program, it's certainly worth looking into to see if it would save you money. I know it saves me 100's of dollars every heating season.
We have on and off peak hours here. On peak is the hottest part of the day, 3 PM until whenever, 9 PM I think. Our thermostat is programmable so it adjusts the temp accordingly. The only thing is, hubs works outside a lot so I never let it get above 80. He deserves to sleep well at night and anything more than that is uncomfortable.

1675599659062.png
These are walmart reuseable filters. I have one for the 8 cup and the other size, a 4 cup. They have been available for years and I just buy one for each new coffee pot style. No sediment issues that I noticed.

Consider a french press. I got one after my 2nd coffee maker in 3 years broke and I was fed up. Has a built in mesh filter and makes even cheap crap coffee taste great. Cheaper than a coffee maker too. The mesh top filter can even be used to froth milk if you like fancy coffee sometimes. Downsides are that you need to boil water in a kettle separately and pour it in yourself and time the steep yourself. And you can't just prep and have your coffee started for you in the morning or just press a button. But it's as easy as a water boil, a 40+ second cooldown, mix, and 4-minute steep. I use the built in timer on my stove. No more filters PLUS no more bitter coffee.
I use an electric kettle to heat the water for our French press. We use it a lot though, and the little dude is a ramen fiend but he can use the kettle himself. I’ve replaced the kettle twice in 20 years, but it’s so much more versatile and cheaper than a coffee maker.

Very helpful information it is too! Knowledge is power right? ❤️
I just wanted to share the solar side. It's not really as expensive as some think and I'm not sure everyone knows there's a lot of government incentive programs around to help offset costs. Those vary a lot over time and by location, but think they're still around.
As always, thanks for the share!

Here's a link to current solar programs: https://www.forbes.com/home-improve...Solar,inverters, wiring and mounting hardware

Last edited:
Consider a french press.
I have one and really like it. DH has a drip style that he uses. He thinks my FP is too much work.

I mentioned the reusable filter to DH for his machine, and he gave it a total thumbs down. He said there was one where he worked, and it "was kinda gross" in his words. He said it never really came clean. Ok, I can respect that. I might buy one anyway, just to have on hand. But I'll still buy him the disposable ones (bamboo?) and then compost them.

I like the basic idea. Most people don't really need off-grid power. They need something to get them through power outages- whether for a few hours or multiple days. It is possible to build a cheaper DIY version of that setup with marine deep cycle batteries, but that looks like a nicely pre-packaged setup.

I totally agree. It was the concept of grid down backup versus whole house solar that interested me.

We have on and off peak hours here.

What I am talking about is a completely separate system of Off-Peak power supply by the electric company. The electric company has the ability to remotely turn off that Off-Peak power supply whenever they need to divert more power to the main grid, which could be a 3 am in the morning if the normal electric demand required it. I have a separate electric panel for the Off-Peak service mounted next to my main grid panel. It has a separate meter. So, it really has nothing to do with peak hours, per se, but could be affected if the regular grid needs more power during those peak usage hours.

In theory, the Off-Grid power system allows the electric company more leeway to manage their electric generation. Instead of overloading the main grid, they temporarily turn off our Off-Grid power and divert it to the main grid for use. It gives our electric company greater flexibility, and we get a big discount for using that program. It's a win-win in my book.

I know some places have different rates for electricity based on when it is used, so using grid electricity during peak hours in the morning when people get up to start the day, or around supper time when people come home and prepare for the night will cost more than using grid electricity during non-peak hours. Where I live, we have only one rate for grid electricity which is about 12 cents per Kwh regardless of when you use it. The Off-Peak electric system is charged at about 6 cents per Kwh regardless of when it is used.

Back
Top Bottom