What are your frugal and sustainable tips and tricks?

Pics
:old Grandma used to bake bread a couple times a week. She kept the bread in a bread holder, something like this....

breadbox.jpg

No need for a plastic bread wrapper with her homemade bread. And, IIRC, her homemade bread did not have any preservatives in it so we had to eat it up in a few days. Putting her bread into a plastic bag would not have prolonged the life of the bread. Or, at least I don't think it would.

Having said that, if you need a plastic wrapper for your homemade bread, why not just buy a commercial loaf of bread of the size/shape of your homemade bread and then reuse that plastic bag for your bread? Last time I bought a loaf of bread at WalMart, it was about $1.00 for the house brand. Anyway, you might as well eat the bread and reuse the plastic bag.

My grandparents lived through the Great Depression. They washed and reused almost all their plastic bags instead of throwing them away. It was their way of life. The plastic bag was only thrown out if it ripped or tore and was no longer usable.

:idunno My Dear Wife and I are not in sync in reusing plastic bags. I don't mind saving those bags for reuse. She will only consider using a plastic bag once and then throwing it away. There will be no washing plastic bags in her kitchen. For me, reusing plastic bags is both a way to save some small amount of money, but perhaps more importantly, it reduces the amount of plastics that continue to pollute our world. So, I appreciate your desire to reuse plastic bags.

:highfive: On a more positive note, we are in agreement on reusing the plastic containers we get our sliced ham in from the store.

694b2229-fa08-47d2-9e2e-35ff7db3e702.ef75fff40f89a1b407fead2f7725a8b1.jpeg

I just peel off the top label and we reuse those containers for leftovers. They are great in the refrigerator because they stack so nicely. Also, since they are not round, there is less wasted space. They also work great in the freezer, but sometimes the plastic might crack if you bump it around. No big deal, if they crack we just toss it out at that time.

I think I already mentioned it, but I use brown masking tape as a label and write the date and what is inside the container using a black Sharpie marker. Helps us to use up our oldest leftovers and/or decide to give it to the chickens at a later date. If you have good refrigerator management, you probably don't need labels and such. But we tend to have things get shoved to the back of the fridge and then forgotten. We could do better, but the labels on the containers of leftovers have helped.
My mother-in-law washed and reused all her bread bags. My mother would reuse them as well, but just shake out the crumbs.

I rinse out Zip bags and reuse them if they're not greasy. I line my wastebaskets with plastic grocery bags. Grocery bags also work great for pet clean up, either cat box or outside dog scooping. And when I send packages through the mail, bunched up grocery bags make great padding.

Consider a french press. I got one after my 2nd coffee maker in 3 years broke and I was fed up. Has a built in mesh filter and makes even cheap crap coffee taste great. Cheaper than a coffee maker too. The mesh top filter can even be used to froth milk if you like fancy coffee sometimes. Downsides are that you need to boil water in a kettle separately and pour it in yourself and time the steep yourself. And you can't just prep and have your coffee started for you in the morning or just press a button. But it's as easy as a water boil, a 40+ second cooldown, mix, and 4-minute steep. I use the built in timer on my stove. No more filters PLUS no more bitter coffee.
My first French press is 17 years old now. Good bargain. 1000 times better than perked.

Very helpful information it is too! Knowledge is power right? ❤️
I just wanted to share the solar side. It's not really as expensive as some think and I'm not sure everyone knows there's a lot of government incentive programs around to help offset costs. Those vary a lot over time and by location, but think they're still around.
As always, thanks for the share!

Here's a link to current solar programs: https://www.forbes.com/home-improvement/solar/solar-tax-credit-by-state/#:~:text=What Does the Federal Solar,inverters, wiring and mounting hardware
Our community set up a solar lease company to install solar panels for mostly our kupuna to offset their costs. By law we have to have solar **water heater or on demand. With the PV lease program they instal the panels for free and homeowner gets electric for lower rates. My aunties electric bill is zeroed out, used to be a $12 rebate. We have lots of PV on island and it seems to be well worth it.

@raingarden Amazon seems to have a weight limit for us. Where their service has opened up all kinds of savings and convenience with not having to drive an hour just to look for what you can not find... we can not get many items shipped.

Last edited:
Well, I am not an insider for the electric company, but I can tell you that we rarely have power interruptions for longer than a few minutes, usually in the summertime when they are working on or maintaining the lines. Not a big deal where I live.

I don't understand the notion that wind and solar electricity cannot be stored. At least at the household level, every system I have seen uses a bank of batteries to store the energy created by the solar panels or a wind turbine.

I even saw a YouTube video where a company was using solar energy to heat up very large tanks of water which they used as a battery holding system. Beyond my level of knowledge, but essentially, they created a hot water battery, and that heat was later converted to electricity as needed.

Maybe someday our residential houses will all have some kind of battery backup system that would allow the electric companies to avoid blackouts. I see that some of the companies selling EV pickups are advertising that you can recharge your pickup at home, and if the power goes out, your EV pickup batteries can power your home!
One of our kids in SF just got the full Monty. 2 solar powered cars, PV w/ battery back up, hot water on demand @ all stations. Smart kids, did a lot of the work themselves. Inspiring.

One of our kids in SF just got the full Monty. 2 solar powered cars, PV w/ battery back up, hot water on demand @ all stations. Smart kids, did a lot of the work themselves. Inspiring.

That sounds great. We don't have very many electric cars where I live here in northern Minnesota, but this past year we did get an electric recharging station in at least one of our gas stations.

:idunno I have never seen a car recharging at the station, but there must be someone who uses them?

Every year, our electric company has a display fair with electric cars for test rides and demonstration. It's more of an info session than a sales pitch.

I think the real problem with electric cars where I live is that our cold winters are really tough on the batteries. Battery capacity is extremely reduced by the cold. Also, it takes a lot of electric energy to heat the car cabin and defrost the windows. Also, if you don't have a heated garage, you have to use battery power to keep the batteries warm. A gas engine uses the heat from the engine to do all that, which is why I personally don't know of anybody around here that has an electric vehicle.

BMW has a test program for their electric cars at our local airport. They test their electric cars all winter long, on predetermined routes, and see how they perform in our cold temps. I have had 2 relatives who were test drivers for BMW on that test program. From what I hear, the cars are really nice, but they still have some issues with extreme cold weather operating. Neither one of my relatives said they would choose one of those electric cars over a gas car for our area for where we live. It would be a different consideration in a more moderate climate.

There are some people with hybrid gas/electric vehicles. They say they like their cars. But you really don't see many of those on the car lots either. Actually, Dear Wife and I are looking at getting a new/used vehicle and our local dealerships all have basically empty lots. Terrible time to buy any car.

:caf Wondering if it will be cheaper in the long run to own an electric car or a gas car? I really like the idea of using solar panels to recharge the electric car, but I don't live in a sun state. Also, from what I have seen on YouTube, some electric car batteries have to be changed out after 10 years and that often exceeds the value of the car at that point.

As someone who still drives a 30-year-old 1993 Ford Explorer, I wonder how many electric cars would last that long? The old Explorer only gets 13 mpg in the winter, but at my age, I only put on about 100 miles a month driving back and forth to town once a week for errands. Lots of value in a good running car that is paid for and doesn't owe you anything. Hard to think about replacing it until it dies and cannot be fixed.

That sounds great. We don't have very many electric cars where I live here in northern Minnesota, but this past year we did get an electric recharging station in at least one of our gas stations.

:idunno I have never seen a car recharging at the station, but there must be someone who uses them?

Every year, our electric company has a display fair with electric cars for test rides and demonstration. It's more of an info session than a sales pitch.

I think the real problem with electric cars where I live is that our cold winters are really tough on the batteries. Battery capacity is extremely reduced by the cold. Also, it takes a lot of electric energy to heat the car cabin and defrost the windows. Also, if you don't have a heated garage, you have to use battery power to keep the batteries warm. A gas engine uses the heat from the engine to do all that, which is why I personally don't know of anybody around here that has an electric vehicle.

BMW has a test program for their electric cars at our local airport. They test their electric cars all winter long, on predetermined routes, and see how they perform in our cold temps. I have had 2 relatives who were test drivers for BMW on that test program. From what I hear, the cars are really nice, but they still have some issues with extreme cold weather operating. Neither one of my relatives said they would choose one of those electric cars over a gas car for our area for where we live. It would be a different consideration in a more moderate climate.

There are some people with hybrid gas/electric vehicles. They say they like their cars. But you really don't see many of those on the car lots either. Actually, Dear Wife and I are looking at getting a new/used vehicle and our local dealerships all have basically empty lots. Terrible time to buy any car.

:caf Wondering if it will be cheaper in the long run to own an electric car or a gas car? I really like the idea of using solar panels to recharge the electric car, but I don't live in a sun state. Also, from what I have seen on YouTube, some electric car batteries have to be changed out after 10 years and that often exceeds the value of the car at that point.

As someone who still drives a 30-year-old 1993 Ford Explorer, I wonder how many electric cars would last that long? The old Explorer only gets 13 mpg in the winter, but at my age, I only put on about 100 miles a month driving back and forth to town once a week for errands. Lots of value in a good running car that is paid for and doesn't owe you anything. Hard to think about replacing it until it dies and cannot be fixed.
I think because they are young it makes sense for them. For me no. I have a 21 year old vehicle, fairly decent on gas and have no desire to upgrade. To cut down I preplan my trips, don't drive much and I ride my motorcycle most of the time. That is probably as good as I am gunna get unless I walk or ride a bike.
I did see on YouTube VW conversions into EV. Gives me hope.

I rented one of the early hybrids for a trip from Louisiana to Virginia. I was excited at the the extended range I would be getting, you know, all the electric miles plus all the gas miles. I didn't think I would have to stop for gas but maybe once or twice. The joke was on me - they shrank the gas tank to this little tiny thing so I had to stop just as often. I was so disappointed!

When I give my husband a haircut the hair goes into the compost. I put sweepings of dog and cat hair into the compost also
I have heard that small cloth bags of human or pet hair hung by the garden can help deter critters. At least until the rain washes away the scent, I'd imagine. I've never tried it. Old nylons would be a good "bag" too.

I don't wear nylons, so I've never tried that either. LOL.

Oh, speaking of deterring garden pests like deer and rabbits... (some will find this objectionable, sorry) human urine can work, especially from guys.

I watched a movie called Who Killed The Electric Car. I guess CA passed a strict mandate on air emissions in 1997. So General Electric came out with an electric car that was supposedly pretty good. Bunch of people got them and liked them. Then suddenly they were all taken back and destroyed and CA mandate was gotten rid of. Don't know how accurate the documentary was, but they were supposedly cheaper to keep and maintain. 🤷‍♀️
If your interested, Amazon Prime has it available to watch.
I have heard that small cloth bags of human or pet hair hung by the garden can help deter critters. At least until the rain washes away the scent, I'd imagine. I've never tried it. Old nylons would be a good "bag" too.

I don't wear nylons, so I've never tried that either. LOL.

Oh, speaking of deterring garden pests like deer and rabbits... (some will find this objectionable, sorry) human urine can work, especially from guys.
Hubby just might enjoy marking his territory too 😂

Back
Top Bottom