What are your frugal and sustainable tips and tricks?

Pics
I am a now former employee of Walmart. I had concerns about what they were doing with it, too. They recycle the plastics and use it to make their own plastics in their Great Value brand, and use it to make the associates' vests/polos. They also get discounted vendor prices for supplying plastics to brands like No Boundaries, that make their clothing with recycled plastics.
The problem with using plastic in clothing is once it is thrown away it will not decompose in a landfill.

Not to be funny, but years ago I had to attend a mandatory hazardous waste seminar for landlords. The big issue at the time was lead free paint and asbestosis protocols. They also talked about other hazardous chemicals. Someone in the seminar mentioned that his wife had more hazardous chemicals in her bathroom vanities than what we were worried about. The instructor made some comment like that was true, but those are not controlled like the stuff we had to worry about as landlords.

Anyways, to show you how ridiculous everything was, the question was asked who was going to police these hazardous waste protocols and the answer there was no one who would enforce the requirements. Even if you were worried about having lead paint in your old house, there was absolutely no one who could even inspect your property. Well, I signed off as attending the workshop and fulfilled the requirement for the state, but I left there knowing that everything was a big joke.

I do agree with you that women are typically exposed to more chemicals than men, but I would suggest that it's mainly all those chemical beauty products women voluntary use.
Definitely a factor!

They don't like to admit they don't know.

On the plus side due to allergies I have discovered a world of cleaning without chemicals. I use natural goat milk soap* for washing dishes, no more alligator hands. I also use similar soap for shampoo and shower. Toothpaste has formaldehyde, used to make my mouth burn, so now I use a tooth powder that makes my teeth feel as slick as if I just came from the dentist. And I use baking soda and vinegar (separate!) for cleaning the bathroom and kitchen.

(*brand is Goat Milk Stuff if anyone is interested)
I like their Purity bar. I use it on myself and the dogs. Also like that I can get it without packaging.

Last edited:
I like their Purity bar. I use it on myself and the dogs. Also like that I can get it without packaging.
Agreed, the "naked" soaps are a good option. I watch for the odd piece sales, and get a bundle off miscut pieces for my son-in-law and daughter. I like the tea tree soap myself. The dish soap bar is wonderful, no more reptile hands!

Does anyone have a Berkey?
Is there are downside I am missing?
Sadly, there is. A Berkey filters many things out but not calcium.

It is likely our calcium level is what causes our taste problem.

"The four tastes we are most familiar with are sweet, sour, salty and bitter. Recently scientists have discovered tongue molecules called receptors that detect a fifth distinct taste — "umami," or savory...

"we can now say with some certainty that calcium is tasted [in mice so far but many species regulate calcium intake]," ...

"Calcium tastes calcium-y," Tordoff said. "There isn't a better word for it. It is bitter, perhaps even a little sour. But it's much more because there are actual receptors for calcium, not just bitter or sour compounds."...

One way we might regularly perceive calcium is when it comes to minute levels found in drinking water.

"In tap water, it's fairly pleasant," Tordoff said. "But at levels much above that, the taste becomes increasingly bad."..."

Excerpts quoted are not in order.

Anyway, our calcium is high compared to most drinking water. And it does taste kinda bitter/sour.

Source of quotes

Edit to add: I looked at the Bob filter and the under counter filters y'all linked to. They didn't have the extensive list of what their filters removed but I assume they don't filter calcium either. A reverse osmosis system might does. A remineralizing thingy will put some minerals back in, too. Having some calcium and magnesium in the water is good.

Last edited:
⚠️ Add life to your tennis shoes....

Almost 2 months ago, my favorite tennis started coming apart at the soles. The bottom rubber sole was separating from the cloth top. At first, I just ignored it, but then I almost tripped on some stairs. Not good. So, I had to set my tennis shoes aside to see if I could fix them, and if not, I'd have to replace them.

I found a good YouTube video on how to repair your tennis shoes using contact cement.

1690641384726.png

That worked pretty well for me. I glued up my shoes and it has held for almost a month and a half now. I have to admit that I waited until almost the entire rubber sole had separated from my shoe. You are much better off using the glue at the first sign of any separation.

OK, I was able to add a little extra life to my favorite tennis shoes. But what causes the rubber soles to separate from the shoe? One thing i learned is that if you wear your tennis shoes outside in the early morning when there is heavy dew on the grass, you will soak the bottom of your shoes and that can lead to the breakdown of the original shoe glues and cause the failure. I think that is what happened to me.

Every morning I would put on my tennis shoes and head out to the backyard to let the chickens out for the day and to collect the morning eggs. My shoes were getting wet, but not enough to soak my feet, so I really did not pay much attention to it. I think, over time, my original shoe glue failed.

Well, I fixed my shoes, but I don't want them to fail again. Or, if I got a new pair of shoes, I would not want to damage them either. So, I got a pair of small rubber shoes for the morning wear if/when I'm working outside in grass and can expect my shoes to get wet.

1690641873431.png

I actually bought these rubber shoes, and taller rubber boots, many years ago when I was working on a project walking around in some muddy stuff. Although they keep your feet dry, the rubber gets hot if you wear them in the heat. My rubber shoes had been sitting in the closet for years. Well, I am now wearing the rubber shoes for the early morning trek out to the chicken coop to gather eggs and let the chickens out. I am hoping that will help add a few months/years to the life of my tennis shoes by keeping them dry.

Given the price of a good pair of tennis shoes, you might want to keep them for as long as possible and I hope the contact cement repair might work for you. Certainly, the rubber shoes can prevent premature separation of the rubber soles of the tennis shoes if you get them wet. If you are on a chicken forum, chances are you could use a good pair of rubber shoes or boots for working with the chickens anyways.

⚠️ Add life to your tennis shoes....

Almost 2 months ago, my favorite tennis started coming apart at the soles. The bottom rubber sole was separating from the cloth top. At first, I just ignored it, but then I almost tripped on some stairs. Not good. So, I had to set my tennis shoes aside to see if I could fix them, and if not, I'd have to replace them.

I found a good YouTube video on how to repair your tennis shoes using contact cement.

View attachment 3592584

That worked pretty well for me. I glued up my shoes and it has held for almost a month and a half now. I have to admit that I waited until almost the entire rubber sole had separated from my shoe. You are much better off using the glue at the first sign of any separation.

OK, I was able to add a little extra life to my favorite tennis shoes. But what causes the rubber soles to separate from the shoe? One thing i learned is that if you wear your tennis shoes outside in the early morning when there is heavy dew on the grass, you will soak the bottom of your shoes and that can lead to the breakdown of the original shoe glues and cause the failure. I think that is what happened to me.

Every morning I would put on my tennis shoes and head out to the backyard to let the chickens out for the day and to collect the morning eggs. My shoes were getting wet, but not enough to soak my feet, so I really did not pay much attention to it. I think, over time, my original shoe glue failed.

Well, I fixed my shoes, but I don't want them to fail again. Or, if I got a new pair of shoes, I would not want to damage them either. So, I got a pair of small rubber shoes for the morning wear if/when I'm working outside in grass and can expect my shoes to get wet.

View attachment 3592589

I actually bought these rubber shoes, and taller rubber boots, many years ago when I was working on a project walking around in some muddy stuff. Although they keep your feet dry, the rubber gets hot if you wear them in the heat. My rubber shoes had been sitting in the closet for years. Well, I am now wearing the rubber shoes for the early morning trek out to the chicken coop to gather eggs and let the chickens out. I am hoping that will help add a few months/years to the life of my tennis shoes by keeping them dry.

Given the price of a good pair of tennis shoes, you might want to keep them for as long as possible and I hope the contact cement repair might work for you. Certainly, the rubber shoes can prevent premature separation of the rubber soles of the tennis shoes if you get them wet. If you are on a chicken forum, chances are you could use a good pair of rubber shoes or boots for working with the chickens anyways.
My dad used Shoe Goo on his old Wilson sneakers. I have a tube of it somewhere in the "stuff".

When my sneakers start to look worn I retire them from my office/work attire and they become my yard shoes. I also have a pair of vinyl clogs that I wear outside if it's wet. I bought them a couple years ago at Aldi's for less than $10, and I love them.

My dad used Shoe Goo on his old Wilson sneakers. I have a tube of it somewhere in the "stuff".

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Shoe Goo is made to rebuild the rubber sole if a piece falls off or if a chunk of rubber sole gets gouged out. From what i understand, Shoe Goo is used to basically retread the rubber sole.

In my case, the rubber sole was separating from the cloth top. That is where you would use the contact cement. I don't think Shoe Goo would work to reattach the rubber sole to the cloth top of the shoe.

In any case, if you can repair a shoe, that's a pretty good deal compared to having to buy a new pair of shoes. Even better, wearing rubber shoes in the morning so you don't get your good tennis shoes wet is even better. Ditto for using old shoes that are dispensable when they wear out or fall apart.

FWIW, Dear Wife has a closet full of shoes, boots, sandals, etc.... That's probably not a frugal way to live, but I don't dare to mention it! :smack

:yesss: I have had the same snow boots for 30 years and they are still in style. And, if not, I don't care. It's great to be a guy in that respect.

Back
Top Bottom