What are your frugal and sustainable tips and tricks?

Pics
I hardly ever have to go to town for just one item anymore. I keep a list in the kitchen I add to as 'use often' items get low. Less trips to the store means less gas in the truck too.
Oh, I know that feeling. My chiropractor is way on the other side of Grand Rapids. Taking the highway, not too bad of a drive (the construction right now is a pain). But I try to do any errand that I do on the south side of town on the way home.

I go every other week, so hubby has learned to tell me if he wants anything "from 28th Street."

28th Street is an endless series of stores, strip malls, major malls, restaurants, car dealers, car service shops, jewelers, and grocery stores, and yes, even pot shops. I've heard more than once that city planners drive down 28th Street to see how to NOT plan a commercial/trans-city corridor. :rolleyes:

Oh, I know that feeling. My chiropractor is way on the other side of Grand Rapids. Taking the highway, not too bad of a drive (the construction right now is a pain). But I try to do any errand that I do on the south side of town on the way home.

I go every other week, so hubby has learned to tell me if he wants anything "from 28th Street."

28th Street is an endless series of stores, strip malls, major malls, restaurants, car dealers, car service shops, jewelers, and grocery stores, and yes, even pot shops. I've heard more than once that city planners drive down 28th Street to see how to NOT plan a commercial/trans-city corridor. :rolleyes:

Oh yes hubby knows to add what he needs to the list. If it's not written down I will forget something. :lol:

I think less trips to the store is also being more frugal with my time too.
I really hate to shop! I'd rather be at home doing any thing other than shopping!

Oh, my yes. Time is one thing you never, ever get back.

That's why I didn't want to spend one extra DAY at my soul-sucking job. I skipped the "treats" that eat up $20-$30 a week to retire as soon as possible. When I did do those kinds of things, believe me! they were not trips to DQ. They were outings that made memories.

I try to be extra careful in not offending anyone. I have made a comment or two on the BYC forums that were taken in unexpected ways from what I intended. That happens when we communicate in text only and the receiver cannot pick up on other clues that we would when talking face to face.

At any rate, this is a thread on being frugal and more self-sustainable. So, I would hope that pointing out less expensive ways to accomplish something would be more welcome here and that anybody interested in this thread might be looking for those tips.

I did not take it that you were implying I was putting anyone down. So, no worries there. I just know that there are some people that the $100.00 elevated planter is what they want despite other less expensive options. As frugal as I try to be, there are certain things in life that I pay extra for just because it's worth it to me. Not many things, but some....
Cool, just wanted to be clear; I agree it can difficult and we all word things differently :)

Oh yes hubby knows to add what he needs to the list. If it's not written down I will forget something. :lol:

I really hate to shop! I'd rather be at home doing any thing other than shopping!
You and me both! I will find every excuse in the book to avoid shopping.

:caf Sounds like I am in the same group as you guys. I only go into town maybe once a week. I have a list of things to pick up in town and add to it as needed. Pretty much know which store I need to go to for that particular product, so I plan out a round trip route to save time.

Although I prefer to support my local brick and mortar stores, when I am looking for a specialty item, I often check with Amazon first to get a price before I go into town. I don't know about you guys, but more and more items that I want are no longer available at the local stores, however, you can order them online from their store website. Well, might as well just order from Amazon if it's cheaper at that point.

I'm not big into shopping, either. But when I do go into town, I will stop at my favorite tool stores and look to see what's on sale or, especially, clearance. Those are the items that are not listed on their online websites and only specials if you actually go into the store. I have saved lots of money picking up unadvertised in-store clearance items.

Speaking of which, over the years, I have developed "a sense" of having a small pot of money for those clearance or impulse buy items that are just too good to pass up. That way I don't have to feel guilty about an impulse buy at a great price. A couple months ago, I picked up a new chainsaw with 5-year warranty, on clearance, for $115.00. At the same time I bought that chainsaw on in-store clearance, their online site had the exact same chainsaw selling for the regular price which was $249.00.

:lau I guess it's like when we buy pantry goods on sale and stock them up knowing that they will be used in the future, so save the money now. I know certain tools and supplies will be used up, or broken, and need to be replaced. So, if I come upon a great deal, I pick up the tool for future use. It works for me.

Sometimes it's the little things. I joke that it's against my religion to run out of stuff. So I often buy two of things instead of just one. One to use and one for "backup." Then when I run out of the one I'm using, there's already a spare in the pantry (big room in the basement.) As I bring up the "spare," I write it on the grocery list on the fridge. That way I don't run out. It's 30 miles to town, so actually a 60-mile round trip. Why make extra trips if you don't have to?

Also, for example, I buy the big gallon jug of dish soap and a couple of small bottles. I just keep refilling the little bottles (which fit my arthritic hands better) from the big jug, which lasts me many months. Saves on plastic waste. Lately I've been using Dawn dish soap as my shampoo, too. Commercial shampoos irritate my scalp (sensitive skin). If it's good for baby ducks ... much cheaper than shampoo, too!

I buy one bottle of Clorox and split it four ways, diluting it into four separate bottles. I use it rarely, and it's safer on fabrics or whatever, already diluted. I keep one bottle in each bathroom, one in the kitchen and one in the laundry room. One bottle so split lasts many months. Just little things like that.

Then when I run out of the one I'm using, there's already a spare in the pantry (big room in the basement.) As I bring up the "spare," I write it on the grocery list on the fridge.
I love this idea, and use it for some things I buy a lot of. Like bacon when it's on sale. With a chest freezer (and no real way to keep it "neat"), any time I dig out another packet of bacon, I look to see if there is another one buried. If not, I put it on the list. If I find another one, hey, that's money in the bank that I didn't know I had.
Lately I've been using Dawn dish soap as my shampoo, too. Commercial shampoos irritate my scalp (sensitive skin). If it's good for baby ducks ... much cheaper than shampoo, too!
I will have to try this. I would LOVE to get DH to try it, but I think that would be a hard sell.

Here's something that pisses me off, and my work around.

Pump bottles of shampoo and conditioner are MUCH easier for old arthritic hands to deal with than prying open a snap cap on lid. But the "straw" on the pump won't get all the product out of the bottle. Even worse, sometimes they cut the straw a bit short, knowing you will just pitch the bottle and the week -- or three -- worth of shampoo. :mad:

Nope, not me. Dang it! I paid for 38.2 ounces of Pantene, I want thirty-eight point two ounces!

So I do this. (Don't tell my husband.) If someone has a better way, let me know. When it makes the shhmmoook shhhmmmoook noise because the straw isn't sucking up shampoo, I add a little bit of water, say about a tablespoon. Swirl it around really well. It's good for a few days, maybe a week.

I do this twice, and then it's runny enough that hubby will probably notice. But do I throw it out? Nope! Now I take the top off and dump a blob into my palm. Then I set the bottle on the edge of the tub, on its side, which in our house means, "This bottle is too empty [for hubby] to bother with. Get out the new bottle."

I'll do the "dump a blob into my palm for a few days, leaving the bottle on its side, on the edge of the tub. Hubby has been around me long enough not to question this any more. Leave Sally to her weirdness.

But I am hardcore. I want at least 38 ounces of that shampoo. The .2 .... well, ok... I grudgingly will let that go. That's probably what is stuck in the straw anyway. So now the new bottle and the old bottle go into the kitchen. I add about 2-3 tablespoons of water to the old bottle and do my best to swish every bit of shampoo off the sides of the bottle. Then I dump that into the new bottle. I use the pumper straw to stir it around a bit. Then I put the bottle back together and put it on the shelf in the shower.

And because I am really hardcore, I put another 1/4 cup of water in the old bottle, shake it up, and then go take a shower and wash my hair with that.

Now, the bottle is clean for recycling, my hair is clean, and I feel very smug.

Back
Top Bottom