What are your frugal and sustainable tips and tricks?

Pics
I scored a pretty good deal at the Thrift Store this afternoon. I picked up a 7 qt. Pyrex bowl 7203, without lid, for only 50 cents. On Amazon, they cost about $17.00 each....

1698809838310.png

:tongue I have been looking online to see how much a replacement lid would cost, and they sell for $5 to $8 each just for the lid! I guess I'll just have to continue to look for a replacement lid to show up.

:caf Speaking of replacement lids, our other Pyrex bowls are lasting forever, but the lids we do have are starting to crack around the edges and probably should be replaced. Does anyone know an inexpensive alternative to the high cost Pyrex lids?

Or what do you people do with these bowls once the lids are broken - do you just use Saran wrap for the top? For now, I plan on using those stretchy plastic tops "Cover-Ups" that look like little hair nets. They come in a box of 17 of various sizes at the Dollar Tree. We wash them out and reuse them a few times before they fall apart...

1698810615738.png

I also picked up a RubberMaid 2 compartment Take-Along plastic storage container for only 10 cents at the Thrift Store. Should be perfect for dishing up some chips and sauce to snack on while watching a movie at home. That container actually had the lid with it, in perfect condition. I thought it was a pretty good deal compared to about $3.00 each on Amazon....

1698811035472.png

Well, the point is that a person can save money buying used items at the Thrift Store. I'm at an age where I don't mind buying used items and saving money, but I know some people would never consider going into the Thrift Store. Fortunately, some of those same people are generous enough to drop off their perfectly good items at the Thrift Store because they no longer want them.

:yesss: Works for me!

:caf Speaking of replacement lids, our other Pyrex bowls are lasting forever, but the lids we do have are starting to crack around the edges and probably should be replaced. Does anyone know an inexpensive alternative to the high cost Pyrex lids?
Shortly after that type came available, I bought a set. One of the kids forgot to not put the lid in the microwave. So I've watched for those lids for many, many years. They never come up without the glass part. I don't think I've ever seen one with a good lid either - maybe a few times at estate sales for more than they cost new.

I eventually resorted to ordering lids directly from Pyrex so I could get the type of lid meant for the microwave. At the time, that was the only way to get that kind although Ebay had the standard kind sometimes - for more than buting from Pyrex.

I've since bought replacement lids at the Pyrex stores at outlet malls.

We sometimes use saran wrap. More often we put a plate on it as a lid sometimes. Some patterns of dishes have plates that work much better than other patterns. They all slide somewhat easily but the trade off is worth it to us because we can stack other food on top of it without stressing the precious plastic lid.

I've tried four or five kinds of silicone or plastic similar to the picture you show. I like the concept but have never found a type worth using much less allotting cupboard space to.

I've moved from the pyrex with plastic lids to glass loaf pans with glass lids.
Like this. I see them for reasonable prices at resale places sometimes. They fit in the cupboard and fridge better than the round, can go in over and microwave. I have two half-sized too that fit neatly on top of the standard sized.

Mason jars also work pretty well as containers for leftovers.

Speaking of replacement lids, our other Pyrex bowls are lasting forever, but the lids we do have are starting to crack around the edges and probably should be replaced. Does anyone know an inexpensive alternative to the high cost Pyrex lids?
Does anyone use beeswax cloths? I bought a set of 3 (smallish, medium, and large) for $20 from a person who makes them. I looked into making them, but then was at her booth, so I decided to buy.

:oops:They sit, rolled up and untried as of yet! 🤦‍♀️

I scored a pretty good deal at the Thrift Store this afternoon. I picked up a 7 qt. Pyrex bowl 7203, without lid, for only 50 cents. On Amazon, they cost about $17.00 each....

View attachment 3673141
:tongue I have been looking online to see how much a replacement lid would cost, and they sell for $5 to $8 each just for the lid! I guess I'll just have to continue to look for a replacement lid to show up.

Or what do you people do with these bowls once the lids are broken - do you just use Saran wrap for the top? For now, I plan on using those stretchy plastic tops "Cover-Ups" that look like little hair nets. They come in a box of 17 of various sizes at the Dollar Tree. We wash them out and reuse them a few times before they fall apart...

View attachment 3673147
I use plastic reusable stretchy plastic covers like these, but I don’t usually get them from amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Reusable-Str...2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9waG9uZV9zZWFyY2hfYXRm&psc=1

I've moved from the pyrex with plastic lids to glass loaf pans with glass lids.
Like this. I see them for reasonable prices at resale places sometimes. They fit in the cupboard and fridge better than the round, can go in over and microwave. I have two half-sized too that fit neatly on top of the standard sized.

That's a good idea. I'll keep my eye out for them at the Thrift Store. I just don't want to buy any new containers at full price.

Does anyone use beeswax cloths? I bought a set of 3 (smallish, medium, and large) for $20 from a person who makes them. I looked into making them, but then was at her booth, so I decided to buy.

:oops:They sit, rolled up and untried as of yet! 🤦‍♀️
I have not seen these. Interesting.
After you use them a bit I would love your opinion.

Back
Top Bottom