What are your frugal and sustainable tips and tricks?

Pics
I scored a pretty good deal at the Thrift Store this afternoon. I picked up a 7 qt. Pyrex bowl 7203, without lid, for only 50 cents. On Amazon, they cost about $17.00 each....

View attachment 3673141
:tongue I have been looking online to see how much a replacement lid would cost, and they sell for $5 to $8 each just for the lid! I guess I'll just have to continue to look for a replacement lid to show up.

:caf Speaking of replacement lids, our other Pyrex bowls are lasting forever, but the lids we do have are starting to crack around the edges and probably should be replaced. Does anyone know an inexpensive alternative to the high cost Pyrex lids?

Or what do you people do with these bowls once the lids are broken - do you just use Saran wrap for the top? For now, I plan on using those stretchy plastic tops "Cover-Ups" that look like little hair nets. They come in a box of 17 of various sizes at the Dollar Tree. We wash them out and reuse them a few times before they fall apart...
I bought replacement lids, I think off eBay.

I bought replacement lids, I think off eBay.

I will have to check that out. I talked to Dear Wife tonight and we are taking an inventory of our Pyrex bowls that the lids are lost or broken. It's more than I thought. But we have had those Pyrex containers for maybe 30 years? I really don't know.

⚠️ Reuse old leather gloves tip

I have been cleaning up the garage, and getting things organized better at the same time. I came across a couple pair of leather gloves that were worn out, with maybe 2 or 3 fingers exposed in the pair of gloves. My gloves almost always fail in the seams of the fingers, and before you know it, your fingers are unprotected.

My first idea was to see if I could find a good right hand glove and match it up with a good left hand glove from another pair. I guess that would work if you bought a bunch of the same type of gloves. In my case, of the 3 pair of gloves I found, both hands had busted out fingers so I could not make a useable pair.

I was going to toss the gloves out, thanking them for their service, but regretted that there was still so much good leather left on the gloves. Today, I found a second life for some of those old worn out gloves...

1698897899514.png

Ref: https://www.thisoldhouse.com/woodworking/21019285/protect-against-plier-marks

:caf Looks like a good idea for the finger parts of the old glove. I have needed to cover the jaws of pliers many times to prevent marring. Anybody got any ideas what to do with the remainder of the glove? It would be nice to use as much of the glove as possible before it gets trashed.

I scored a pretty good deal at the Thrift Store this afternoon. I picked up a 7 qt. Pyrex bowl 7203, without lid, for only 50 cents. On Amazon, they cost about $17.00 each....

View attachment 3673141
:tongue I have been looking online to see how much a replacement lid would cost, and they sell for $5 to $8 each just for the lid! I guess I'll just have to continue to look for a replacement lid to show up.

:caf Speaking of replacement lids, our other Pyrex bowls are lasting forever, but the lids we do have are starting to crack around the edges and probably should be replaced. Does anyone know an inexpensive alternative to the high cost Pyrex lids?

Or what do you people do with these bowls once the lids are broken - do you just use Saran wrap for the top? For now, I plan on using those stretchy plastic tops "Cover-Ups" that look like little hair nets. They come in a box of 17 of various sizes at the Dollar Tree. We wash them out and reuse them a few times before they fall apart...

View attachment 3673147
I use silicone lids like these: https://www.amazon.com/Silicone-Str...ocphy=9030250&hvtargid=pla-974333025585&psc=1

⚠️ Reuse old leather gloves tip

I have been cleaning up the garage, and getting things organized better at the same time. I came across a couple pair of leather gloves that were worn out, with maybe 2 or 3 fingers exposed in the pair of gloves. My gloves almost always fail in the seams of the fingers, and before you know it, your fingers are unprotected.

My first idea was to see if I could find a good right hand glove and match it up with a good left hand glove from another pair. I guess that would work if you bought a bunch of the same type of gloves. In my case, of the 3 pair of gloves I found, both hands had busted out fingers so I could not make a useable pair.

I was going to toss the gloves out, thanking them for their service, but regretted that there was still so much good leather left on the gloves. Today, I found a second life for some of those old worn out gloves...

View attachment 3674236

Ref: https://www.thisoldhouse.com/woodworking/21019285/protect-against-plier-marks

:caf Looks like a good idea for the finger parts of the old glove. I have needed to cover the jaws of pliers many times to prevent marring. Anybody got any ideas what to do with the remainder of the glove? It would be nice to use as much of the glove as possible before it gets trashed.
You don’t say what type of gloves. Rubber, leather or cloth?

I started off talking about leather gloves, so that was what I was thinking. However, I also have rubber and cloth gloves that get worn out and it would be great to hear any ideas about a second life for them as well.

⚠️ Protect Chisel Tips using old glove finger tips
I found a related handyman tip for using old leather gloves. Cut off the fingertips and use them to protect the tips of chisels so that don't get banged up in the toolbox or drawer. I don't have many chisels, and the ones I do have came with holders. But I think this is a great idea just the same....

Glove Finger Chisel Protectors | Popular Woodworking

I started off talking about leather gloves, so that was what I was thinking. However, I also have rubber and cloth gloves that get worn out and it would be great to hear any ideas about a second life for them as well.

I found a related handyman tip for using old leather gloves. Cut off the fingertips and use them to protect the tips of chisels so that don't get banged up in the toolbox or drawer. I don't have many chisels, and the ones I do have came with holders. But I think this is a great idea just the same....

Oopsie. Listen, I’m not responsible for what I say before I’ve finished my first cup of coffee ok?

Back
Top Bottom