• Increase Chicken Treats

Votes: 8 7.7%
  • Increase Chicken Treats

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • Purchase/add more Chicken Toys

Votes: 14 13.5%
  • Get More Chicks/Chickens

Votes: 52 50.0%
  • Add other poultry in addition to chickens (ducks, turkey etc.)

Votes: 15 14.4%
  • Reduce Feed Costs

• Add a New Breed/s To My Flock

Votes: 41 39.4%
  • Reduce Flock Number

Votes: 8 7.7%
  • Nothing, will keep things as is

Votes: 20 19.2%
  • Other (please elaborate in a reply below)

• Total voters

BYC Project Manager

BYC Staff
Project Manager
Premium Feather Member
15 Years
Feb 22, 2009
It's hard to believe another year is passing. As the popular old saying goes, “There’s always next year.” Flock management, forage, infrastructure? Identifying areas in need of improvement is always a must in most areas of life. And the same goes when it comes to your backyard flock. As this year welcomes us, what are your plans for 2022 when it comes to your beloved backyard flock?

2021.png

I can always upgrade my coop or run. I plan to add wood chips and perhaps a roof to the run. (Part of it has a roof now. It's wonderful!)

I'd love to reduce my feed costs if I can. More garden scraps/weeds. More bugs. Yummy!

I'd like to add more clutter to the run in the form of perches or other "furniture." And use my suet cage for chicken entertainment with greens/weeds in it.

I didn't pick "get more chicks," but I'm not ruling it out. :)

Need to upgrade my coop.
It's plenty big enough but needs more permanent rain protection instead of tarps on the sides I want tin awnings for ventilation and wet weather protection - and do it before Winter when the dirt floor turns to mud!... Also need to dig down on 2 sides and wrap rat proof fencing around the bottom half of the coop.
...and more chicks :jumpy

So many plans!

I need to add the dividers, the broody facility, and more perches to Neuchickenstein.

I need to get more electric netting to make a separate run area for grow-outs.

I need to figure out how to manage egg sales.

I need to add more breeds to improve the average size of eggs from my flock and increase the variety of colors.

I need to work out a good system for hatching, sorting out, and selling birds.

I need to set up a butchering station.

I doubt that all this will be accomplished in a single year. But these are the plans right now.

Planning on reducing flock numbers. I’ll likely be very busy next fall and I’m the main caretaker of the flock so I’ll probably sell about half my hens. This is provided I am able to confirm that my flock doesn’t have Mareks. I have a suspicious looking rooster atm. If the flock does test positive I’m not certain what I’ll be doing since I obviously won’t be able to sell if they are carriers.
So guess reducing flock number and getting Mareks testing done are my two objectives for the year.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom