What Attacked My Coop??

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Sakiza, Apr 17, 2018.

1. Sakiza

Sakiza Chirping

Jan 30, 2018
    Upstate NY
    FD16EE07-B372-4C21-B05F-A012AA311C72.jpeg AEF15B2E-FDD6-4557-B98D-40FE8725A686.jpeg CA1DBCD3-064D-4C57-87CC-90DAD3A60FDA.jpeg 50958466-9CBC-477F-A016-8631B71CD4F3.jpeg Looks like bite marks? We are thinking raccoon. One of our free range ducks, and two roosters (on three different nights) were killed and licked clean. That doesn’t sound like typical raccoon behavior to me since they were not dragged away and only one was killed three different evenings over the span of two weeks.

Duck and goose eggs have also been getting destroyed overnight. Whatever is doing it rips apart nests and ignores the fake eggs I have in the nests.

I left one of the roosters for my boyfriend to get and when he went to get it, it was gone.

The duck remains were head, wings, skeleton, and tail. Everything else was gone.

We are getting traps set up! The red eyes don’t seem to be working :/
    We saw a raccoon tonight in a tree. Little bugger was just staring at the flashlight and not moving.

Do you guys think it is the raccoon or is there is an additional predator??

Attached Files:

2. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

could be a raccoon or an opossum.

But I thought raccoons liked the heads? Not sure how much opossums like heads.

microchick and Sakiza like this.
  3. Sakiza

Sakiza Chirping

Jan 30, 2018
    Upstate NY
    We have a trail cam set up now so we will check again in the morning. Feels like we might have two different predators sneaking around.

microchick and ChooksNQuilts like this.
  4. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

very possible.

microchick likes this.
  5. MyChicksRAwesome

MyChicksRAwesome In the Brooder

Apr 17, 2018
    Hi there. New here. I live in Minnesota near international falls. We bought a 100 acre farm that is in need of desperate help lol.. anyways I have a barn that needs to be weasel proofed.. we have 4 chicks now and and more in the incubator. I guess I’m wondering what to do to prevent predators... any tips? And your pic shows small claw marks.. I agree raccoon. Thank you!

happyfrenchman likes this.
  6. Soon2BChixMom

Soon2BChixMom Crossing the Road

Jan 8, 2017
    NE Indiana
    My Coop
    Is this a prefab? Just asking because I have one. Thanks!

7. That wood looks way too soft, whatever it was will likely chew through it.

Gary

8. Aji Dulce

Aji Dulce Songster

Jun 30, 2013
    Wake Forest NC
    If I were you I would set up traps

Sakiza likes this.
  9. Ducklover2

Ducklover2 Songster

Apr 12, 2018
    Hickman County, TN
    My Coop
    The coon probably did the scratching while another beast did the eating.

Sakiza likes this.
  10. Sakiza

Sakiza Chirping

Jan 30, 2018
    Upstate NY
    @Soon2BChixMom It’s a Producers Pride Defender Coop. Absolutely love it. But like @IdyllwildAcres said, the wood is on the softer side. Fortunately, the run is wonderfully strong and big.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: