What bator to buy? LOOKING TO BUY ASAP!

glewis121

Songster
10 Years
Oct 17, 2009
I am new to quail but have been keeping chickens for many years.

I used to have an incubator for my chickens but it was thrown away in a move.

What incubator would you suggest for quail that i could also use for chicken eggs?

I am looking to spend between 100 and $200.

Looking to incubate about 40 quail eggs or 15 chicken eggs at a time.

I know that this is the wrong season to be breeding my quail especially in the northeast but i have room in the basement and garage so time for a winter project.

Looking forward to your suggestions.

I have been looking at the LG and the Hovabator 1588 both with fan and turner. Let me know which you guys think is better.

never mind..I went back and re-read the post..
good luck!
smile.png

Last edited:
The LG and hovabators hold a minimum of 40 chicken eggs, and up to 150 quail eggs. If you are looking to have smaller hatches, I'd go with the Brinsea octagon 20, holds 24 chicken eggs, so probably 40 or so quail eggs.
http://brinsea.com/products/octagon20eco.htm

ETA: This is what the brinsea site says about quantity:

Egg capacity:
Quail - 60
Pheasant - 40
Hen - 24
Duck - 20
Goose - 9/12

On sale for $99.99
smile.png

ETA again: If you are really set on one of the styro-bators, either of the hovabators (1583 wafer-thermostat model or 1588 digital) would be better than the LG.

Last edited:
Quote:
What brinsea model# with that capacity is $99.99?

Thank you in advance.

Sorry, I found it.
smile.png

The egg turner is an extra $69.99. Making the total cost $170. I rounded up. It's about the same as the styro-bators, that I refuse to buy. Has anyone really tried to clean Styrofoam? Yuck!

I'm convinced that the incubator industry is like the car industry. After you set down $100 for the base model, they will up-charge you 200% for things that you really need, or floor mats.

Last edited:
Quote:
But what would a car be with out $200 floor mats!?
big_smile.png

... I like the analogy there
smile.png
Good luck finding a good incubator for a good price.

Quote:
What brinsea model# with that capacity is $99.99?

Thank you in advance.

Sorry, I found it.
smile.png

The egg turner is an extra $69.99. Making the total cost $170. I rounded up. It's about the same as the styro-bators, that I refuse to buy. Has anyone really tried to clean Styrofoam? Yuck!

I'm convinced that the incubator industry is like the car industry. After you set down $100 for the base model, they will up-charge you 200% for things that you really need, or floor mats.

The styrofoam hovabators have a plastic insert in the bottom, so they are much easier to clean. I have 1 of all 3 (1583,1588, LG), and the only one I can't get 'clean' is the LG, because it doesn't have the liner. But I use it as my hatcher anyway, so it doesn't have to be perfect
smile.png

Definately go for the 1588 with 1610. It's what I bought, $172 from Cutlersupply.com and I LOVE it. It has a huge picture window, it's digital, and doesn't take a lot to mess around with it to get the temp right (if you have to mess with it at all, I didn't have to). The 1610 is the autoturner with both chicken and quail racks. Then, just spend $6 for a temp/humidity gage from Wal-mart and you have pretty much a fool-proof machine for under $200.

Quote:
The only problem with any styrofoam bator is that they hold a lot more than what the OP is looking for. If you get an incubator that holds that many and don't have it filled the temps won't be as stable. The 1588 might be an exception, I haven't had mine long enough to determine. But then you're back to the not-wanting-styrofaoam thing.
The brinsea is not styrofoam, and holds a decent amount of eggs. So if you want a good incubator that is easy to clean, and doesn't hold up to 4 dozen chicken eggs, that's the one I'd go with. The hovabator or the LG with turner holds 120 quail eggs, more without the turner.

I have a MissPrissy homemade bator. It's a small one, I used a styrofoam ice chest that holds only 8 or so soda cans. Would that work for buttons?

Also, what is the temp/humidity and number of days for button eggs?

Back
Top Bottom