WHAT BIT MY CHICKEN?!?!

Farm life101

Songster
Jan 9, 2018
Florida
4BBE229D-795C-4A98-BC73-F6EFB15EF208.jpeg

This is what my hens foot looks like. Not sure what happened I went to let my chickens out of the coop yesterday and I noticed this it wasn’t that bad so I ignored it but when I came out to hold her today there was more redness and it’s raised. Should I drain it and wrap it with Neosporin, should I just give her medicine and if so what should I give her or should I just leave it. Could it be an allergy? She is 6 months old act normal except when you touch that foot she pulls it away. Eats and drinks fine.

i agree it isn't a bite. You could try putting non-painkiller Neosporin on it. If she seems like she needs a painkiller, you can separate her and give her 5 tablets of regular strength aspirin dissolved in 1gal of water.

Greetings Farm life101,

Can you upload a photo of the bottom of her feet? Please include both feet in the photo.

It does look inflamed; I would go ahead and soak her feet for at least 5 minutes. Fill a dish tub with warm water and 1 cup of Epsom Salt. The Epsom Salt has antibacterial qualities, so it will clean and help get the healing started. Take a photo of the bottoms of her feet after the soak.

Then, the members will have a better idea of what this can be, and a proper course of treatment.

God Bless :)

Greetings Farm life101,

Can you upload a photo of the bottom of her feet? Please include both feet in the photo.

It does look inflamed; I would go ahead and soak her feet for at least 5 minutes. Fill a dish tub with warm water and 1 cup of Epsom Salt. The Epsom Salt has antibacterial qualities, so it will clean and help get the healing started. Take a photo of the bottoms of her feet after the soak.

Then, the members will have a better idea of what this can be, and a proper course of treatment.

God Bless :)
Okay. Should I take pictures before or after soaking feet

Since you live in Florida, it could be ant bites or some other insect. It also could be bumblefoot in case you see any scabs on the foot or toe pads. Sometimes bumblefoot will present with red swollen spots on top of the foot between toes. I would look for other other such lesions on other chickens, and look around for ants or other bugs. Permethrin spray is a good insectivcide safe for chickens, but don’t use if you keep bees.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom