1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What brand of chick starter...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chicksinthemachine, Oct 17, 2008.

1. chicksinthemachine

chicksinthemachine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    Henley,MO
    do you use? We use Mannapro and we still had cocci issues, they should have already been covered because of the medicated starter,right. How many others have had this issue this year?

2. simba49450

simba49450 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Michigan
    i wish i could help you, i fed just basic 20% feed for mine and it wasnt medicated and i have never had a issue when it came to that, i am curious who else has had probs

3. ajablu

ajablu Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2008
    Northeast, PA
    I use the Southern States and didn't have any problems with my chicks.

Michele

4. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    If they are getting cocci it could be something else your doing. It's entirely possible to raise chicks without medicated starter and not get cocci so if they are getting it while on a medicated feed I'd look at other possible causes. I fed my first batch manna pro, used it up on the 2nd hatch until they were 6weeks old and haven't used medicated since. Haven't had a problem with cocci yet.

5. Kecene

Kecene Out Of The Brooder

Sep 8, 2008
    Orange County NY
    I use the Southern States and didn't have any problems. I started to raise chickens to get away from the medication and hormones.

6. Cason

Cason Chillin' With My Peeps

I use medicated from MFA feed - for the first two weeks.

7. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
  8. eggchel

eggchel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Dec 26, 2006
    Both Coasts
    I use Purina Medicated Chick Starter. Seems to work fine. I make sure that they are eating it until at least a month after they have been moved to a coop/run where they have contact with the ground and other birds feces.

Chel

9. cjstanman

cjstanman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    Just north of Raleigh
    I used Dumor chick feed from TSC which is not medicated. No issues so far, and I'm in the process of transitioning mine to Dumor grower/finisher.

10. SandraMort

SandraMort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    ny
    I get unmedicated blue seal. I assume I'd know if my birds had cocci, so none here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by