What brand of feed is best?

sepaditty1

Songster
11 Years
Mar 29, 2008
South Carolina
So, I've been buying the Dumor feed at TSC and I'm just wondering if that is an OK choice to feed my birds.

I work full time so my hobby/obsession with chickens can't extend to growing greens and seeds and things like I've read that some of you do. But I do want to make sure my girls are getting the best they can.

Is Dumor alright? Is there something that's as good but cheaper? Give me feedback, please!

Last edited:
I prefer Poulin layer pellets, it is the brand I have been using since they were babies and never had a problem, not sure if they are available everywhere though. I get all of my feed at a small feed and grain store as I like to support the little guys. Also give my girls various fruits and veggies, They like cabbage hung from a rope in the coop or run. Good luck, I also work full time but love to come home and spend a little time with the girls.

I have used Dumor for the 2.5 years that I have had chickens. They seem to do well. My chickens forage during the day, so they eat other things as well.

Chris

I've used Dumor since my chicks were 1 day old. They are now 6 1/2 months old and doing well. I am getting 6 eggs / day from 6 pullets, and they seem quite healthy and active. I do supplement with healthy treats on occasion, but the feed is the major component of their diet. I would say that it is fine to continue feeding this brand.

Just curious to know if anyone is supplementing with oyster shell or anything else when using Dumor Layer Crumbles. I have 6 hens, 3 of which have just started laying. I've switched over to the Layer Crumbles. Dumor says there is no need to supplement with anything, but I do read a lot about adding oyster shell. Their run is currently play sand, so they do have grit available to them.

I usually offer oyster shell on the side even if the pen is on Layer, ime, some older hens definitely have better egg shell quality if they have access to extra calcium. If you feed a lot of treats or scratch, I would probably offer it also. Layer is supposed to be a complete feed, so if they are getting a lot of extras that don't have the required calcium, they maybe low.

I use Purina Flock Raiser and my girls lay year round. Some chickens stop laying here in the Vegas hot summers. But mine have lots of shade and misters.

Just curious to know if anyone is supplementing with oyster shell or anything else when using Dumor Layer Crumbles. I have 6 hens, 3 of which have just started laying. I've switched over to the Layer Crumbles. Dumor says there is no need to supplement with anything, but I do read a lot about adding oyster shell. Their run is currently play sand, so they do have grit available to them.

The only thing you might want to change is to switch to layer Pellets instead of the Layer Crumbles. There is no difference in the ingredients or quality of the feed but pellets are less wasteful and crumbles are mostly made for large scale operations that have screw conveyors to move the feed. If you are feeding in a standard hanging feeder or anything else made for the small scale chicken farmer the Pellets are a better choice.

You can supplement with oyster shell but put it in a separate container and let them eat it when they want it, somehow chickens know if they need a little extra shot of calcium and that is what the oyster shell does but I do believe that you can trust your feed source and get by successfully without any supplement. If they put it on the label and it wasn't true it would not be long before someone took them to task about it and I am sure they don't want to face the cost of a possible lawsuit, Dumor has been making feed for a long time and I feel strongly that they know what they are doing.

Back
Top Bottom