What bread machine do you have and how well do you like it?

BettyR

Songster
12 Years
Mar 1, 2008
Texas Gulf Coast
My bread machine died and I'm looking to replace it. I had an old Betty Crocker II machine that I bought sometime in the late 80's or early 90's. I never used my machine to bake in I just used it to mix my dough. It could mix enough dough to make 2 loaves of bread and I loved it!!! I have been making all the bread we eat for a very long time. Not only does it taste better and it's better for you but it's a lot cheaper.

Of course they don't make those machines anymore and I was looking for something to replace it with… the T-Fal Emerilware Bread-and-Baguette Maker is supposed to mix 3 pounds of dough which is what I used to mix in my old 2 pound machine for two loaves of bread.

I'm thinking this is the machine for me but since I haven't used any other machine I thought I might ask around and see what other people are using and how well they like their machines.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have 2 - Sunbeam and Welbilt. They each make a different shape and size loaf. I like them both just fine. I have used them for years now.

You can get a betty crocker machine and/or replacement parts on ebay.

Want to share your best recipe? We like very light fluffy bread.

I'm on my second machine. My step-dad gave me a Wllbilt for Christmas about 20 years ago. I used it daily for probably 10 years, putting as many as 2 loaves through it a day. Sadly, it ran out of steam and I had to get a new one.

This is a Sunbeam. I like it 'okay'. Can't complain about it, really, it makes a longer loaf (fewer slices) where the Wellbilt made a tall loaf (more slices). It does brown the crust more than I'd like, even on the "light" setting, and if I put enough energy into preventing that from happening (by stopping the machine a bit early), I'm sure I'd be happier with it.

I don't make the Sunbeam work as hard as I did the Wellbilt, but I don't believe it will last as long as the Wellbilt did. That one even had a recall on it and step-dad tried to get me to return it, but I never had trouble with it.

I have a Sunbeam that was my MIL's. DH think's it's noisey, I like it just fine. I primarily use just the mix cycle & bake in my oven as I don't care for the square loaves.

This is our very favorite sandwich bread.

Whole Wheat Honey Bread

2 heaping tablespoons white sugar
1/4 cup honey
1/2 stick margarine (chopped up)
1 teaspoon salt
1-1/4 cups scalded milk
1/3 cup cool water
1 egg beaten
2 cups whole wheat flour
2-1/2 cups all purpose flour
3 heaping tablespoons vital wheat gluten
2 heaping teaspoons yeast

Put the first 5 ingredients into the bread machine in the order listed. Stir with a rubber spatula until the butter is melted.

Add the rest of the ingredients in the order listed and select the dough cycle.

When the machine first starts out you will need to use the rubber spatula to help mix the flour and the liquid or it won't mix well.

Let the machine kneed the dough and let it rise to the top of the pan. You will need to watch it because this will only take about 30 minutes if your yeast is fresh.

Remove the dough from the pan onto a floured board. Cut the dough in half and shape your loaves. Place in a well greased loaf pan. Oil the top of the loaf very well with olive oil and let it rise until double.

Bake in a pre-heated 375° oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 190°.

LightWheatBreadII001.jpg

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
These are our favorite cinnamon rolls

Cinnamon Rolls

1-cup warm water
3 tablespoons powdered milk
7 tablespoons sugar
1-teaspoon salt
1 large egg – slightly beaten
1-teaspoon vanilla extract
3-1/2 cups bread flour
2 teaspoons instant yeast

Place ingredients in bread machine in the order listed, select dough cycle and press start.

Filling
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2-cup flour
1-tablespoon cinnamon
1/2-cup butter (I use real butter here-I've never tried margarine)
Mix dry ingredients together, cut in butter. Place in refrigerator until needed.

When dough has risen to the top of the pan remove it to a lightly floured counter top, dust the dough lightly with flour and roll it out to 12 X 14 inches and spread filling out onto the dough.

Roll the dough up jellyroll style and cut into 8 to 12 rolls. Line a Lasagna pan with parchment paper and place the rolls in the pan. Allow them to rise until nearly double then bake at 350°F for 20 to 30 minutes.

Make a frosting out of powdered sugar, water and a little vanilla and spread onto rolls.

Cinnamonrolls001.jpg

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This is our favorite Focaccia

Focaccia Bread
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Cookbook:Focaccia_Bread
Focaccia is a type of flat bread popular in Italy, but probably adopted from Greece. The basic bread is often topped with any of the following: herbs, olive oil, cheese, meats, and vegetables, and can be seen as a precursor to pizza. Makes 1 loaf.

Note: I changed the “Procedure” to fit my bread machine.

Ingredients

1-cup water
1 teaspoon white sugar
1-teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 egg
3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1-tablespoon active dry yeast

3 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed

Procedure
Place ingredients into bread machine in order listed and select the dough cycle. When the dough has risen to the top of the pan remove it to a baking sheet.

Place dough on a greased baking sheet; roll it out to 12-inch circle. Cover with greased plastic wrap and a cloth towel. Place in a warm place for 30 minutes.

Uncover dough, and poke holes in it with a spoon handle at 1-inch intervals. Drizzle olive oil on dough, and sprinkle with crushed rosemary.

Bake at 400° for 17 to 27 minutes, until just golden. Remove from baking sheet, and cool on rack.

FocacciaBread001.jpg

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
These are our favorite dinner rolls.

Sweet Dinner Rolls
Source – Allrecipes - Donna West

1/2 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
1/2 cup warm milk
1 egg
1/3 cup butter, softened
1/3 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon salt
3 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
1/4 cup butter, softened

Place water, milk, egg, 1/3 cup butter, sugar, salt, flour and yeast in the pan of the bread machine in the order recommended by the manufacturer. Select Dough/Knead and First Rise Cycle; press Start.

When cycle finishes, turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide dough in half. Roll each half into a 12 inch circle, spread 1/4 cup softened butter over entire round. Cut each circle into 8 wedges. Roll wedges starting at wide end; roll gently but tightly. Place point side down on ungreased cookie sheet. Cover with clean kitchen towel and put in a warm place, let rise 1 hour.

Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400 degrees
Bake in preheated oven for 10 to 15 minutes, until golden.

SweetDinnerRolls001.jpg

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have collected a lot of bread recipes over the years...

Back
Top Bottom