What breed and gender is this one?

BackyardCoop

Songster
7 Years
Apr 19, 2012
We got this little one at a local feed store. There were only 4 left, and we purchased two. However we had to end ones life because it was pecked bloody and given a broken leg and we couldn't help it....
It was sold to us as a Domonique but apparently is not.

I think it is probably either a Barred Rock or a Cuckoo Maran chick. They both look very similar at this age. Either way, I think it's a hen because the white spot on the head is quite small, males have a bigger white spot, but hard to tell for sure without other chicks to compare with. If it is a hen, when she starts laying eggs you may have more to go on. The CM lays a very dark brown egg.

These are pictures I just took. It is really feahtering out well.
We will be excited if it is a Barred Rock, we had wanted to get one.
yesss.gif

i

I agree with the comment about the yellow legs, although I have found in hatchery birds sometimes the Marans have them as well. Also, I do think it may be male as well. Based on the angular head, comb and stink eye. In Marans and Rocks the males often, although not always, have more white feathering than the females.

Yah, definitely looks barred rock now that it's got more feathers. I didn't know about the skin difference that Kev pointed out(good to know), but even without that fact, the contrast between black and white looks BR. I just got some CM this spring that are just 2mths and their darker with feathers look more spotted than barred.

I'm not sure how old your little one is, but are those wattles I see already? May be a Roo.

Yah, definitely looks barred rock now that it's got more feathers. I didn't know about the skin difference that Kev pointed out(good to know), but even without that fact, the contrast between black and white looks BR. I just got some CM this spring that are just 2mths and their darker with feathers look more spotted than barred.
I'm not sure how old your little one is, but are those wattles I see already? May be a Roo.

Yep, wattles already! Just noticed those when looking at it today.
We are guessing he is probably near 4 to 4 1/2 weeks.

I agree with the comment about the yellow legs, although I have found in hatchery birds sometimes the Marans have them as well. Also, I do think it may be male as well. Based on the angular head, comb and stink eye. In Marans and Rocks the males often, although not always, have more white feathering than the females.

Thank you! I ONLY get the stink eye from it. lol! It's a fiesty little thing, we have to keep an eye on it.
After looking it over today and taking these pictures I'm thinking Roo. Can't wait to tell hubby his chick
is a barred rock. He thought he was going to have to wait for one.
D.gif

Back
Top Bottom