1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

what breed and is it show ready?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by southernsmile4u, Oct 22, 2014.

1. southernsmile4u

southernsmile4u New Egg

Aug 14, 2014
    Greeneville tn
    [​IMG]

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Buff Brahma, or possibly a Buff Brahma mix.

He looks to be in fairly good feather condition, so that will help him at the show. Color looks good as well.

However, the one problem that I see with him is his comb. It is a poor example of a pea comb, so much so that some judges might disqualify him. A Brahma male should have a 3-row pea comb. His looks more like a cross between a single comb and a pea comb.

Just keep that in mine. Depending on the competition and the seriousness of the show, it may or may not affect him. Otherwise, he looks like a pretty nice bird!

3. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    He's a Buff Brahma. I agree with Wyandottes7 regarding the pea comb, and he looks like he may have some black feathering in his leg feathers, but then I'm no expert on showing chickens. I would suggest posing a full body profile of him showing head with comb, legs, and tail on our Exhibition and Breeding to the Standard of Perfection section at https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/16188/exhibition-genetics-breeding-to-the-standard-of-perfection and let our experts there take a look at him. Good luck in showing him.

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Your rooster is a Buff Brahma.

It is hard to judge the show worthiness of birds from photos, but here are a few thoughts:

Color: Good. You want Buff Brahmas to have intense, even buff coloration, with black striping in the hackle and saddle and a mostly black tail. The only fault I see in your bird's coloration is that on his wing, the buff is so dark that it has a reddish cast. That is a fault, albeit a minor one.

Condition: He looks to be in great condition, at least on the outside. Feather quality and condition is important at a show.

Type: Hard to tell from this photo. Looks to be pretty good, though. If I would change anything, I would shorten up his back a little and deepen his body. Brahmas should be massive birds, regardless of their color pattern.

Other characteristics: As Wyandottes7 noticed, his comb is not a perfect pea comb. Ideally, you would want a Brahma's comb to be a smaller pea comb, with three well-definied ridges. Your rooster's comb almost takes the shape of a single/pea cross. That may disqualify him under some judges, while others will find it acceptable.

Overall, he seems like a pretty nice bird. Probably not a show-winner, but he should still place high in his class (unless the judge doesn't think his comb is good enough).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by